Nobody Inducted to Baseball Hall of Fame!

Started by airboy, January 26, 2021, 07:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

This year the "Baseball Sports Writers" inducted nobody into the Hall of Fame.

The issue is not performance - it is political correctness and drugs.

Drugs is easy to explain.  The big hitters from the steroid era were in the running: Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, David Sheffield, etc.....   They used steroids to boost their performance.  Steroids kill your liver.  If you look at before/after for some of these players - the transition is amazing.  I can understand why they were not voted in because it had to do with the integrity of the game and also encouraging players to do things that will kill them - to hit better.  They test pro athletes for steroids because using them kills.

The other issue is pure political correctness.  Curt Shilling who holds a bunch of records, won a World Series with a busted Achilles tendon and a bloody sock, and was probably the best major league pitcher in the playoffs since the 1960s is being denied entry because he is conservative and says things that irritate the left.  He did not do anything related to baseball that was bad: no betting, no beating up other players, no drugs, did nothing on the field that made baseball look bad.  But the Hall of Fame will embarrass themselves by omitting him because he irritated leftists.

See:  https://www.outkick.com/couch-conservative-beliefs-not-performance-are-keeping-curt-schilling-from-cooperstown/

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

Curt Schilling is also a notorious ass and has never shied away from proving it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Hot lead and dirty talk!

The far left Hall of Fame voters are notorious for being asses and I am glad they got called out for it.
Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!

airboy

Quote from: Gusington on January 26, 2021, 10:11:30 PM
Curt Schilling is also a notorious ass and has never shied away from proving it.

Yes - but he never broke the written or unwritten rules of baseball.  If you want to deny people the Hall of Fame because they are jerks - quite a few should be removed including people who beat others with a bat, who murdered someone, and other crimes.

Curt is not in the Hall purely because his politics do not match those of the sports writers.  Not for anything he did regarding baseball.

Gusington

^It's not purely because of that. If he was a little less of an ass maybe he would have more of a fighting chance with the baseball press and even the fans.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

I see two sides to this story and the inevitable conclusion that will be coming in the months and years.

Based on pure talent yes Schilling should be in. If there was not a "voting process" involved he would have been in probably by the 3rd year of candidacy or so (I am not sure who he would have been competing against in his early years of candidacy).

However, he is an ass and a bigot. And since the HOF is decided by voting, by extension the masses will conclude that voting for him is voting for a bigot.

The end result, and why they should just close down / stop any sports HOF stuff is when "people" start reviewing the players that ARE in the HOF and begin putting pressure to have them removed. I guess they are still too busy tearing down statues and revising history but it will be coming.

And another part of our history will be gone. And we move one step forward to repeating that history.

Anyway, my $.02 on this.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

Just curious, how is he a bigot? Five years ago I would have accepted that claim with no question. I'd have just shaken my head and said "Oh, that's too bad."

These days, with claims of racism being thrown around so casually, I don't take it for granted.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

jamus34

He's been pretty vocal in his anti-LBGT views.
Insert witty comment here.

airboy

Curt has:
1] Spoken very strongly against muslim fanatics who murder people.
2] Spoken very strongly about letting boys who "identify as girls" use women's restrooms, especially in high school.
3] Been a very vocal supporter of Trump

Pete or someone else will dig up lots of things.  Curt has posted things on social media that upset the "woke religion."

airboy

He also said: "Most guys who don't like me are either Democrats or Yankee fans."

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: airboy on January 26, 2021, 07:11:06 PM
This year the "Baseball Sports Writers" inducted nobody into the Hall of Fame.

Crazy.  I'm not a "sports," person at all, so no dog in this hunt, but this is nuts.

Pete Dero

Quote from: airboy on January 27, 2021, 10:56:54 AM
Pete or someone else will dig up lots of things. 

Baseball is our national sport number 518 just behind frog racing.

In other words : I don't care  >:D.

Sir Slash

Frog Racing! How the hell do you get them drive cars much less race each other?  :wow:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.