Let's Talk About! The Consolidated Super thread

Started by Jarhead0331, January 29, 2021, 03:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

I've played a few tanks sims on and off over the years, but the one I enjoyed the most was from way, waay back to 1989.  It was called Omega.  You could design the tanks and then write/create AI scripts.  I still have my old copy.  You could even upload your designs to compete with other Omega owners.  Fun times...

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Rayfer

Like Sir Slash, my favorite tank battle moments have come from Combat Mission, specifically Red Thunder.  Nothing beats zooming in up close to a destroyed tank and being able to see exactly where the armored piecing shell punched a hole in the front armor. 

Gusington

Holy crap Omega!! That really brings me back. I remember seeing ads for that game at my local game shop and on the back of Run magazine.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

The post didn't specify it had to be a PC game, so I'm going to go with...  Ogre.  While Panzer Blitz was a very cool board game and Tobruk might have been the best tank-to-tank board wargame ever made, Ogre opened my eyes to the whole possibility of science fiction wargames.  And it did it for only $2.95!!  I've had a soft spot in my heart for building-sized cybernetic war machines ever since...

On the PC front, I'm giving it up for the original Panzer General.  That sort of innovative gameplay literally spawned an entire genre of wargames that is still going strong more than 20+ years later!  And I had such great fun playing a wargame where my units actually picked up experience and got better as they carried over from scenario to scenario!

MikeGER

Quote from: steve58 on January 30, 2021, 11:16:57 AM
I've played a few tanks sims on and off over the years, but the one I enjoyed the most was from way, waay back to 1989.  It was called Omega.  You could design the tanks and then write/create AI scripts.  I still have my old copy.  You could even upload your designs to compete with other Omega owners.  Fun times...

when i saw your post with the vector graphics, i thought how had it all begone for me   ...my first tank sim :dreamer: (and an quite expensive one considering a coin for a few minutes of play time.)

Acrade machine  Battlezone :D

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: hellfish6 on January 29, 2021, 06:07:04 PM
Tank Crew is hot, soulless garbage and I'm 100% invested into the success of GHPC.

I agree with your comments on Tank Crew. We are the minority there.

As much as I'd like to hope for GHPC, I don't expect much depth.

Pete Dero

Obvious choice is Steel Beasts.

Maybe less obvious is Panzer Command Ostfront  (https://www.matrixgames.com/game/panzer-command-ostfront).

And of course my first PC game : Steel Panthers III.

fran

Quote from: fran on January 30, 2021, 10:19:15 AM
Well, it started with M1 Tank platoon...

Did play World of Tanks way too much.

And the tanks in Close Combat series....

Grim.Reaper

Unless I missed it above, can't forget Steel Fury and with its mods.....

hellfish6

I'll add my first real wargame - TacOps. I was 16 or so when it came out and my Dad got it for me to Christmas. He actually still plays it himself to this day. I was never able to get into the Steel Panthers series because I loved this game so much. Despite SP having actual vehicle graphics, the hexes didn't compare to the pixel-based maps of TacOps.

I'll also toss in my first tank sim (well, semi-sim... and M1TP2 will always be the godfather of tank sims for me): Team Yankee. It was a very unusual game but I really enjoyed it and its sequel in their time.

Gusington

Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942 on sale @ Steam right now for 3.74!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Ah man, MikeGER sniped me with Battlezone!

I keep thinking that one of the monster missed opportunities in PC Tank Simming thus far is DCS: Combined Arms.  For me even in its present state it's a pretty fun experience, but I am not super-hardcore into tanking.  Still, the potential to wrap a Steel Beasts/DCS-quality tank into Combined Arms is just leaving money on the table IMO.  Finally, we would have a fully integrated electronic battlefield with an extremely high level of fidelity.

If Steel Beasts had some sort of dynamic campaign or something of the sort I'd probably play it a lot more.  And if I wasn't constantly finding myself an update or two behind the times.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero