Combat Mission: Cold War

Started by IICptMillerII, February 15, 2021, 11:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Skoop on February 16, 2021, 04:37:58 PM
This does look pretty cool.  The option of '79 vs '82 is cool too, will make for some interesting engagements.  I wonder how long it'll take until it's in our hands.

Initial estimate is April 2021

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Skoop on February 16, 2021, 04:37:58 PM
This does look pretty cool.  The option of '79 vs '82 is cool too, will make for some interesting engagements.  I wonder how long it'll take until it's in our hands.

April 2021 is the official release window!

Quote from: Yskonyn on February 16, 2021, 04:41:28 PM
Very cool and totally unexpected.  :clap:
I hope Engine 5 will give the series a graphical touch up, however. It's beginning to show its age rather glaringly.
I don't feel flashy graphics are what's needed, just higher detailed textures, more detailed terrain mesh and improved 3D models.

That would certainly be nice. I have no idea what they have in store for Engine 5. A graphical touch-up, or maybe just a few new animations and higher res ground textures would go a long way to giving the games a nice facelift. We can certainly hope.

Destraex

I don't know whether combat missions maps would be large enough to suspend my disbelief in cold war scenarios. I guess I am just used to games like wargame: red dragon, I know it's not a proper wargame but it has just about as many stats and realistic features as we all wanted back in the 90s. Armored Brigade and those sort of games. The maps are huge and you feel like the size of the engagements that the fulda gap would probably have.

Some things I would love updated:

- Trenches that are below ground
- Briefing screens that adjust according to your screen resolution
- Curved surfaces such as properly cornered roads
- Co-op or at least more than two player multiplayer. (I know about the work arounds)
- Do Helicopters and aircraft appear on map now when called? Are the maps still too small for this?
- Will it be on steam off the bat?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Destraex on February 16, 2021, 05:17:14 PM
I don't know whether combat missions maps would be large enough to suspend my disbelief in cold war scenarios. I guess I am just used to games like wargame: red dragon, I know it's not a proper wargame but it has just about as many stats and realistic features as we all wanted back in the 90s. Armored Brigade and those sort of games. The maps are huge and you feel like the size of the engagements that the fulda gap would probably have.

- Co-op or at least more than two player multiplayer. (I know about the work arounds)
- Do Helicopters and aircraft appear on map now when called? Are the maps still too small for this?

Number one on my list would be the ability to place water at different elevations.

IICptMillerII

The campaigns in the game really give you a sense of scale and maneuver, at least to me. And by maneuver I mean tactical maneuver, not road marching for 25km before hitting the line of departure. I understand the knife fight in a phonebooth opinion with the modern CM titles, but I do think that this title does a good job of alleviating that to a great degree. A lot of the battles are pretty large.

It will be on Steam off the bat upon release.

Elvis

Yes, and like to other 2 Combat Mission games on Steam, if you have the Battlefront version you'll also be able to get a Steam key at no additional charge.

al_infierno

Against my better judgment, I decided to preorder this.  I'll be genuinely shocked if it actually arrives in April, but I've been wrong before, so I've been told.  :buck2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

stolypin

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 15, 2021, 11:45:18 PM
A Combat Mission: Yom Kippur War would be to die for.  :dreamer:

Combat Mission:  Villers-Bretonneux 1918

Now THAT would be to die for!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Apocalypse 31

It looks like a CMx2 mod.

Is there anything actually new about this release?

al_infierno

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on February 20, 2021, 07:57:55 PM
It looks like a CMx2 mod.

Is there anything actually new about this release?

Do you mean aside from the completely new setting and a TO&E for 1979-82?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: al_infierno on February 20, 2021, 08:46:24 PM

Yes. Is there anything innovative with this release?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on February 20, 2021, 09:07:10 PM

Sorry, Apocalypse...there is no live fire and you cannot actually be killed by playing. It is going to disappoint your high expectations for realism.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 20, 2021, 09:12:35 PM

Sorry, Apocalypse...there is no live fire and you cannot actually be killed by playing. It is going to disappoint your high expectations for realism.  :crazy2:

It's a combat mission game, so my expectations are already low.

A map that is bigger than the max effective range of an M829 round would be a great start.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on February 20, 2021, 09:17:13 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 20, 2021, 09:12:35 PM

It's a combat mission game, so my expectations are already low.

A map that is bigger than the max effective range of an M829 round would be a great start.

Yeah. I know what your beefs are with game. They're fair, but the system is never going to change in that way.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18