IRL (In Real Life) > Tech Talk

SSDs for gaming

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jarhead0331:
I went with a WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 3D NAND w/ Heatsink.

steve58:
Read Speed   7000 Megabytes Per Second   :wow:

Are you sure that'll be fast enough??  :-\ >:D

Jarhead0331:

--- Quote from: steve58 on April 20, 2021, 08:09:26 AM ---Read Speed   7000 Megabytes Per Second   :wow:

Are you sure that'll be fast enough??  :-\ >:D

--- End quote ---

I always say...go big or go home. It didn't make sense to get a drive that is half as capable just to save about $50+/-.  I added a heat sink to the SSD to be safe too.  All in, came to $449. 

jamus34:
I put a WD black in my new family PC I built for the upstairs as the primary drive.

I’ll be completely honest though in real world use I do not think you’d see any noticeable difference between the mid grade and “the best”. Hell even a Sata SSD is probably “fast enough” if it is being used as a gaming drive.

I think a much bigger issue is if you are using TLC or greater SSD and you start getting near the capacity limit. From what I heard they big down horribly when they fill up vs SLC or MLC (really DLC I guess but I think for typical parlance they use MLC as the dual layer acronym.

Jarhead0331:
All I know is that for games like DCS and Star Citizen, the faster the SSD, the better. People definitely talk about noticing a tremendous difference. We'll see...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version