Main Menu

PIMAX 8K X

Started by Jarhead0331, June 22, 2021, 09:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I started looking at these recently due to some very favorable reviews as compared to the G2. I saw that it is "Prime Day" on Amazon and since I was saving about $300 off of the price, I decided to splurge.

This has a 200 degree FOV and although most users experience slightly less sharpness than the G2, they all almost universally state that the sweet spot is much larger and the benefits of having such a wide FOV drastically make-up for any loss in sharpness and clarity.

I'll report my experience upon receipt. This will be my sixth VR headset. You think I'm a believer?

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Nice one JH!

Personally I prefer sharpness over FOV, but I am looking forward to your findings very much!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

Wanna loan me one of those other 5?   ;)   :-*
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

LOL, I just saw you have a few of them for sale.  Man alive, VR headsets are not cheap.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on June 23, 2021, 01:00:42 PM
LOL, I just saw you have a few of them for sale.  Man alive, VR headsets are not cheap.

Are you interested? I will give you the family discount.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Pimax arrived yesterday late in the day, so I really just had time to set it up and get only basic first impressions in DCS.

The one thing you hear about these headsets is that they are not plug and play, and this seems to be the case so far. I'm really going to have play around with the settings to maximize clarity, because out of the box for me, the clarity is noticeably worse than the G2. Yes, I believe the FOV is noticeably larger too, but it hasn't been substantial enough to compensate for the lack of visual clarity in my view. That being said, having peripheral vision in VR is a new experience and it's going to take some getting used to. With the Pimax, I can glance down and see most of the cockpit without moving my head, or glance to the left and see nearly the entire left console. I can move my eyes to the right and see my wing outside the canopy without really moving my head. It's pretty impressive if you've been locked inside the bubble of other headsets. Still, the clarity has to be improved if I'm going to stick with this one. The word on the street is that it can get very close to the G2, but it takes a lot of trial and error.

I will say that my FPS is much better so far. 1.1 PD, msaa x2 high terrain settings and I'm averaging over 50fps. I struggled to get above 40 with the G2.

I'm running with a single light station, which seems to be sufficient for tracking so far.

The audio of the basic headset is pretty underwhelming thus far, but they make upgrades for this.

Finally, I'm struggling to find a sweet spot for the headset on my face. Haven't been able to get a comfortable fit. I'm going to have fiddle with that too. It's a very large headset and is  pretty heavy, as well.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Been reading articles about this set; seems like a great model!
The full kit is rather expensive, but the specs are awesome on paper.

How's your experience been with having dialed in the settings? How's the sweet spot for clarity? Is the FOV a gamechanger?

Aside from the specs I am curious about the build quality. How would you compare it to a Vive, Quest or Reverb?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 14, 2021, 12:52:07 PM
Been reading articles about this set; seems like a great model!
The full kit is rather expensive, but the specs are awesome on paper.

How's your experience been with having dialed in the settings? How's the sweet spot for clarity? Is the FOV a gamechanger?

Aside from the specs I am curious about the build quality. How would you compare it to a Vive, Quest or Reverb?

The sweet spot and FOV are noticeably better. It is hard to say whether they are "game changers" though as it is a very subjective opinion. The sensation of movement and speed for me has definitely been more immersive. In fact, it actually makes me feel slightly uncomfortable at times. It takes getting used to.

Build quality is fine and I think it is comparable to the Reverb, although the headset is big and heavy. In addition, I have the standard version without the KDMAS audio upgrade so I would characterize the audio quality as acceptable, but not nearly as good as the Reverb.

I'm having two issues with the Pimax at this point. First, the light stations sometime take unreasonably long to detect the HMD. I have no idea what that is about, but it is annoying. Second, and most bothersome is that if my FPS drops below 50, I get a slight, but uncomfortable stutter when moving my head. This is certainly a problem that I need to solve if I am going to stick with this headset.  Unfortunately, I can't find much info. about it and I will probably email Kevin Henderson directly.

The bottom line though is that the 8KX is capable of near G2 clarity with a much larger FOV. Whether that is worth the high cost, again, is going to be subjective.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Understood. Thanks for the details, JH!
Stuttering is a killer in VR. Nothing makes me more uncomfortable as quickly.

crowdrake