Steam and Iron Campaign - Updated Information

Started by Grim.Reaper, September 12, 2012, 08:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Seems like they might be getting close...probably the biggest news is that it was originally stated as a free add-on for existing customers but they have changed their minds and are now going to charge $15 (due to effort it required).  I am sure for people who really loved the base game, the extra cost is not a big deal.  I originally bought the game, but haven't really played it much.  I was hoping to get into it when the campaign came out since it was no brainer since free, but will probably hold off a bit now until I see how it is received.  This isn't necessarily because of the cost, more finding the time:)

http://forums.navalwarfare.net/showthread.php?2634-NWS-ANNOUNCEMENT-SAI-Campaign-Update&s=a80cb6ec34a6558d88b40a18a1df6f14

LongBlade

Good news. I don't think $15 is too much to ask - depending on the content.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grim.Reaper

In the end don't think $15 is asking too much,  I just think some may have an issue that at first they said was free and then recently changed their mind.  I don't think it will be a big deal since the game seems to have a loyal fan base.  I am sure I will pick it up once out of beta.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 12, 2012, 08:42:47 PM
Seems like they might be getting close...probably the biggest news is that it was originally stated as a free add-on for existing customers but they have changed their minds and are now going to charge $15 (due to effort it required).  I am sure for people who really loved the base game, the extra cost is not a big deal.  I originally bought the game, but haven't really played it much.  I was hoping to get into it when the campaign came out since it was no brainer since free, but will probably hold off a bit now until I see how it is received.  This isn't necessarily because of the cost, more finding the time:)

http://forums.navalwarfare.net/showthread.php?2634-NWS-ANNOUNCEMENT-SAI-Campaign-Update&s=a80cb6ec34a6558d88b40a18a1df6f14

$15 is OK in my book...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Can't say I'm happy with the free addition changing to a paid expansion. 

But I estimated that this would be the case, anyway, when I found out that there hadn't been much done on this part when that "free add-on" thing was announced in the past.   So not surprised at all.   

At least it's not a full priced re-release or something.  ;)

Double Deuce

I don't have the game but have been considering getting it. Anyone know for sure if the base price for the game itself for 1st time purchasers is expected to jump by the same $15? Reading the forums that's the impression I get.

On a side note, for those that have it, how good is this game?

Nefaro

Quote from: Double Deuce on September 14, 2012, 02:33:55 AM

On a side note, for those that have it, how good is this game?

An  excellent wargame for the the big-gunned ship era.

Sir Slash

Second to it being an excellent game though not full of eye candy if that's important to anyone. Chris last posted the beta campaign of the Baltic region will be free but later additional content of that and other campaigns(Med and North Sea) wil be $15. You may have to update whatever version of the game you have as there have been a number of  updates since the game first came out. There are also some great user made scenarios available for free download. Looks like X-mas comes early this year.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Ahhh!  That's good!

So we get a small Baltic campaign freebie, and the rest of the big stuff is an expac?   :)

Slick Wilhelm

$15 is fine by me. I'll be picking this up when it's ready.

Staggerwing

Does Chris have any plans for a combo 'Gold' edition?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

The Baltic Campaign is now available to download in a new patch. You have to re-install v.1.00 before installing the new patch & campaign though. Let the opinion-ating begin.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.