Star Wars Rebellion

Started by Jarhead0331, September 13, 2012, 11:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I just reinstalled this old classic.  Although it received mixed reviews when it was released, I believe it is one of the finest strategy games ever developed using the Star Wars IP, and in fact, one of the best strategy games of the 1990s, period.  This and Rainbow 6 are the first two games I ever played on-line multi-player.  I loved the single-player campaign, but MP blew me away too. I remember my friend Kevin and I battling it out for control of the galaxy from our command centers located in our dorm rooms in college. Those were the days. 

So far, I'm finding that the game system has aged very well, and gameplay remains fun and compelling.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

I also think the game is great...however i couldn't understand how they came up with the crappy space battles after having played Birth of the Federation released the same year.

Nefaro

Excellent strategy game.  The interface took a little getting used to but well worth it.

I still have it, along with the manual and the huge 2-sided poster thing with all the unit stats on it.

Tpek

I remember this one. One of the best games of its time.
Still IMHO one of the most interesting 4X games out there (such a heavy emphasis on the characters).

Oche

I have this one installed ALWAYS on my HDD standing against the test of time. It's just too good to forget. Never shelved it as i did with Empire at War in less than a month after purchase  :P.

Tpek

Mind you this is one of the games I'd really like to see a proper remake of! :)

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

Loved the concept and lot of the mechanics (I thought the characters system was really cool), but the UI was simply too painful for me.  Gave up in frustration after a month or two.  I'm glad others still enjoy it, though. 

Quote from: Tpek on September 14, 2012, 09:14:52 AM
Mind you this is one of the games I'd really like to see a proper remake of! :)
+1 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

W8taminute

This is why I love farging Groghead so much.  In all my years of posting on gaming forums, this is the only place that the majority say Star Wars Rebellion was a great game.  I feel like I know you guys so much better now.  You too Martok!  :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Anguille

I would buy it again asap it was released on gog.

son_of_montfort

Woah... I totally remember this game! I had forgotten all about it until I looked at the pictures. I remember it being amazingly fun, with some fairly wonky space battles. I don't remember the land battles at all. But all the espionage and missions you could carry out were really cool!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Tpek

Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 14, 2012, 05:11:03 PM
Woah... I totally remember this game! I had forgotten all about it until I looked at the pictures. I remember it being amazingly fun, with some fairly wonky space battles. I don't remember the land battles at all. But all the espionage and missions you could carry out were really cool!

There were no real-time land battles. Planetary invasions were abstracted a bit unlike the epic space battles.

Silent Disapproval Robot

It always bugged me that they went and reversed the red and green map colours for the Rebels and the Empire. Every other Star Wars game had it one way but Rebellion did the opposite.