Norbsoft's New Publisher - Slitherine

Started by Bison, September 18, 2012, 03:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

Quote from: Bismarck on September 18, 2012, 07:14:30 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 18, 2012, 06:59:01 PM
Do you think this news will signal any improvements in the game or is it just a new distribution platform?

It's about distribution, not quality.  Norb stole the rights of the engine from his dying partner. Slytherine doesn't mind that; the game sells well.

I was active on the forums for several years when TC2M came out. I loved the game, and had a tremendous amount of respect for the developers.

...but you're right. Something very, very bad happened, and the second nastiest flame war I have ever seen in gaming resulted. The first? Derek Smartt, of course.

I won't be purchasing anything from Norbsoft games, ever. Even his new game is almost identical to TC2M..I just cannot see much difference.

jomni

Controversy aside, Erik Rutins confirms that it will use the usual serial number scheme.
http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=584575

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on September 18, 2012, 07:36:53 PM
I just hope this means the DRM disappears.. I Never play it due to it being a pain in the ass!

I'd be extremely happy if the online activation disappeared, too.

Although with Matrix/Slitherine publishing the game now, I'd expect the pricing to skyrocket back up on future new stuff.  :-[

Hopefully those of us with a copy can get the non-DRM version, and not have to purchase it again..?

LongBlade

Quote from: Nefaro on September 19, 2012, 06:32:05 AM
Although with Matrix/Slitherine publishing the game now, I'd expect the pricing to skyrocket back up on future new stuff.  :-[

Slitherine has changed Matrix's pricing strategy - now you can just wait for it to go on sale.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

So when is the changeover?

I'm still planning on getting that last expansion before long.  I should probably wait to make sure I get the Slitherine expansion that only requires a code..

Tuna

I asked on the site and they said that a DRM removal will be available to the previous owners of the game. You will just enter activation code as your serial.

Grim.Reaper

I really have no idea about the history of the developers of the game besides what has been discussed in forums....I wonder how many people that have commented on this matter and refuse to play the game really have firsthand knowledge of the matter from both sides, versus just speculating on the web and through hear-say.  Regardless, everyone is entitled to their opinion and can show it by buying or not buying the game.  For me, I continue to buy the games and enjoy them.  If I had 100% concrete evidence of something really horrible happened, then maybe it might make me pause.  But I don't think we'll ever have that kind of evidence since likely only known by the actual parties involved.

Cougar_DK

Quote from: Tuna on September 19, 2012, 04:22:13 PM
I asked on the site and they said that a DRM removal will be available to the previous owners of the game. You will just enter activation code as your serial.

Ok, but where do we download the version that only take a serial code?  :)
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grim.Reaper

DennisS

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 19, 2012, 05:11:43 PM
I really have no idea about the history of the developers of the game besides what has been discussed in forums....I wonder how many people that have commented on this matter and refuse to play the game really have firsthand knowledge of the matter from both sides, versus just speculating on the web and through hear-say.  Regardless, everyone is entitled to their opinion and can show it by buying or not buying the game.  For me, I continue to buy the games and enjoy them.  If I had 100% concrete evidence of something really horrible happened, then maybe it might make me pause.  But I don't think we'll ever have that kind of evidence since likely only known by the actual parties involved.

This is a fair comment. Like I said, I posted on the board, a very small, very tight-knit board, very early in this game's history. Even now, I am hesitant to say more, for a variety of reasons. Too much like dirty laundry being aired...but I can absolutely and utterly assure you, that MOST of the individuals who had thorough, and sure and certain knowledge of what happened between the two developers were both shocked and angry, and what happened. Only one gets to rewrite the history, and THIS is what makes me unhappy.

Nefaro

Quote from: Cougar_DK on September 20, 2012, 03:37:50 PM
Quote from: Tuna on September 19, 2012, 04:22:13 PM

Ok, but where do we download the version that only take a serial code?  :)

I was thinking perhaps an update will be released or something?  *shrug*

This does kinda push me towards buying the expansion sooner, though. 

Keunert

did the other guy die or was he just out of work for some time?
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

ABD

MarkShot

I am going to provide a link to the most extensive public discussion of the underlying ethics.  Here are some things of interest which fell out of that thread:

(1) The thread was begun by one of the original MMG team members. He did so, since his and other posts were being deleted at MMG. Norb was the domain administrator and had full technical control of the site.

(2) A quite old thread on the International Game Developers Association by Norb demonstrated that he had long contemplated how he could liberate "his" code from the duly legal ownership of MMG.

(3) At least six members of MMG and some of NSD participated in the discussion. Not all agreed.

(4) There are numerous post by a user ID, "Coder", which highly praised Norb in all of this. However, due to an error where Norb neglected to logout and login, it was determine that Coder was actually Norb masquerading as a third person.

Here is the lengthy thread. Buy the game, or don't buy the game. At least, a couple of years ago the truth did see the light of day.

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=302136&pg=1