GROGHEADS Steam Group

Started by Bison, January 29, 2012, 12:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Quote from: MetalDog on February 18, 2012, 11:32:36 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 18, 2012, 10:02:15 AM
I'm up for anything you guys think is doable. I've never played MP live, only PBEM, so I don't even know how to connect or what settings are even possible.

MP live is real easy.  When you load BtS, choose Multiplayer Games.  You will be asked to login with your Gamespy ID, so if you don't already have one, go get one.  Once you have done so, you will be in the Lobby.  You willl look for the name of the game you will be playing, for instance, I host and when W8 and I play, he is looking for Chris's Game.  You double click it, enter the password and you will be taken to the Staging Rooom.  Once there, you can choose your Civ and your Leader and your Difficulty level.  The host can set everything from map size to victory conditions to, well, anything you can do in a single player game.  Once everybody clicks the Ready box, the host launches and you are brought to your game.  You take your turn, hit Enter and once everyone has hit Enter, you go to the next turn.  Simple as all that. 

As long as there is no objections, I will host.  If you have any preferences as to map size or type, number of civs, victory conditions, game options (No Tech Trading, Always War, Always Peace, etc), please make them known.  Once we can all agree, we'll launch.  I have PM'd you the password.

Ok got into the MP lobby. Got the password you sent. What's the name of the game we are going to be looking for?

I'm good with MetalDog hosting. I'd say lets try vanilla for this first outting, I'm willing to try anything.

I should have no problem showing up at 9:30 pm (EST?) tonight.

See ya then.  8)

MetalDog

Chris's Game.  It will be password protected.  I sent you the password already and it's all lowercase.  Start time is 9:30 Eastern.  I, too, would prefer vanilla as Gus is a Civ IV noob and it's easier to answer questions for me that way.  And it's going to be Beyond the Sword.

Do you fellas have any preferences?  Number of Civ's?  Map size?  Victory conditions?  Game play restrictions?  Let's get'em all out in the open now.  We'll have more time to play tonight.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Barthheart

YOu and w8taminute should choose that stuff as I have no idea how it affects a game that we are only playing for an hour.... or can we save an MP game and play again later??

W8taminute

Quote from: MetalDog on February 18, 2012, 01:35:54 PM

They also say "Yankees SUCK!" in your neck of the woods and we KNOW how untrue THAT is!  :-)

o'really?  Well, I've never been a serious fanatic about any sports to be honest with you.  Except for this years superbowl, and a couple of world series in past years.    :D

I usually like to play on continents or I like archipelagos.   But ever since I started playing with MetalDog I think my new map favorite is fractal.  I vote for temperate climate, and medium aged planet.  If we have 3 or 4 human players let's have 7 or 6 ai players.

Barthheart, these MP sessions can indeed be saved and resumed later on.  No need to kill ourselves trying to finish a game in an hour. 

My question is, if Gus can't make it tonight, can he join our game next time by subbing in as one of the ai players?

Oh and yes, I'm talking about 9:30pm Eastern Time.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Barring any disaster I will be able to make it. We can play for an hour and then pick up the same game next week can't we?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Reminder for the newest members who are not Steam adverse that we have a group. 

The hope is to start scheduling some Groghead events later next month.  However I encourage everyone to schedule their own events.  I'm pretty sure that if you schedule it someone will come and join you in your gaming adventures.

Also I tried to create an abbreviation to use as tag for those who want too, but "grog" and "gh" were both taken.  So any recommendations for an abbreviation for grogheads?  Hell I don't even know if we want one, but it seems as if we should have one.

LongBlade

What's the character limit?

grghds ?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

I'm good with grogz but will leave it open to discussion for awhile longer.  So in theory, you could be Longblade (Grogz) or some such thing.  You see it alot on FPS servers to identify the various clans.

Bison

Anyone know how dedicated servers work?  I know that some games like L4D2 for example you can load onto Steam servers without the requirement of a dedicated server.

I guess what I'd like to look into is how can we setup a game like Team Fortress 2 so that it's a Grog on Grog battle.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Greybriar on February 02, 2012, 07:47:25 AM
Quote from: Martok on January 30, 2012, 01:54:40 AM
Also joined.
Am I the only one left who doesn't use Steam?

Nope. I believe it is evil incarnate and pray for the souls of my fellow wargamers who have joined the Cult of Steam.

So there.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Bison

And can I get a sticky?  In a few weeks, I'm going to start testing out setting up some events for the Steam group.  If it gets traction and the it brings the community together for some weekend gaming, I'd like to expand out so that games like European Escalation and others that are better online against a human.  And I think that if you can play against someone you know from here as opposed to a complete random stranger the fun level goes up too.

Bison

Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 27, 2012, 12:12:40 PM
Also joined.

Nope. I believe it is evil incarnate and pray for the souls of my fellow wargamers who have joined the Cult of Steam.

So there.

Well sure, but after you sell your soul it becomes less painfull with each passing game sale!

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Bison on March 27, 2012, 12:13:42 PM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 27, 2012, 12:12:40 PM
Also joined.

So there.

Well sure, but after you sell your soul it becomes less painfull with each passing game sale!

Indeed. I sold mine to GOG some time ago.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.