U.S. Air Combat Command Chief Hints at 6th Gen Fighter

Started by GDS_Starfury, December 01, 2012, 01:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Even as the F-35, America's first 5th generation fighter, struggles to achieve liftoff, the U.S. Air Force is starting to plan on how to get the 6th generation of jets off the ground.

What capabilities a 6th generation jet will possess remains unclear, but Gen. Mike Hostage, the head of Air Combat Command, dropped some hints at an event hosted this morning by the Center for Strategic and Informational Studies.

During a question-and-answer session, Hostage reiterated a DoD timeline that a new generation of fighter will be needed by 2030.

"That's why we're already looking at what defines the 6th generation," Hostage said. "It'll be some kind of game-changing ability. Don't yet know what it is, but we're out there looking at it carefully."

After his speech, Hostage expanded on his comments to reporters.

"We're trying to decide what [a 6th generation technology] is," he said. "We're looking at technologies that hold promise to potentially define 6th gen, but we haven't said 'that's it, we're going down that path.' We're starting today to try and define it, because it takes so dang long to procure things," Hostage added.

The 5th generation fighter designs have been defined by their stealth abilities. Hostage declined to go into specifics on what the Air Force is looking at but hinted it would not be a single piece of technology that moved jets into the 6th generation designation.

"There are some very exciting technologies out there," Hostage said. "I believe it will be a combination, I don't believe it will be one ... radical thing that says, 'We'll do things completely differently.' I think it will be a combination of some really interesting technologies that will produce the game-changing capabilities."

However, the possibility of a top-end next generation fighter doesn't erase the need for other aspects of the Air Force fleet. Hostage said air power still demands a "family of systems," including the proposed long-range bomber that Air Force Chief of Staff Mark Welsh has identified as one of his key programs.

"We can't afford to build that one lone piece of equipment that can do anything, everything, anywhere," said Hostage.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20121130/DEFREG02/311300004/U-S-Air-Combat-Command-Chief-Hints-6th-Gen-Fighter?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

Ill start the punnery.

we're being held Hostage to more over priced airframes.  just build a crap load of F-22s and be done with it.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Steelgrave

Got this pic from a source deep within their research facility

and here is the first test model

Oh hell yeah.....

Jarhead0331

Not impressed...I've been thinking about a 7th generation fighter for at least four years now.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

Quote"That's why we're already looking at what defines the 6th generation," Hostage said. "It'll be some kind of game-changing ability. Don't yet know what it is, but we're out there looking at it carefully."

What? It gets to reroll misses?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

eyebiter

I'd agree the USAF will acquire a 6th generation fighter.  Exactly ONE of them.  Because at today's inflation rate it's going to cost a year's budget per plane.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on December 01, 2012, 05:41:44 PM
Quote"That's why we're already looking at what defines the 6th generation," Hostage said. "It'll be some kind of game-changing ability. Don't yet know what it is, but we're out there looking at it carefully."

bahaha!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

Quote from: TheCommandTent on December 02, 2012, 07:45:03 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on December 01, 2012, 05:41:44 PM

bahaha!
Yeah, I laughed too (first time in two days).  Thanks LB; I needed that.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces