Dominions4

Started by parone, June 18, 2013, 01:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Well, things might change at Desura with the recent acquisition.  But yeah, you're right, as much as I dislike Steam it can only be good for Illwinter.  I really hope Dom4 makes it there.

Faux

Quote from: gp1628 on July 15, 2013, 08:20:06 AM
Actually they havent done that well with the change.
Their other game "Conquest of Elysium 3" has sold more copies than all the Dom's put together. Mostly because it is on Steam.
And both Desura and GamersGate have done very little to promote Dom3. The forums suck, customer support sucks, press releases to gaming sites are non-existent. The only thing either of them have done "for" Dom3 is have some decent sales.

So like I said, I hope Dom4 gets on Steam. For Illwinters sake.

Did CoE3 get directly taken into Steam or was it greenlighted?

Nefaro

Quote from: gp1628 on July 15, 2013, 08:20:06 AM
Actually they havent done that well with the change.
Their other game "Conquest of Elysium 3" has sold more copies than all the Dom's put together. Mostly because it is on Steam.
And both Desura and GamersGate have done very little to promote Dom3. The forums suck, customer support sucks, press releases to gaming sites are non-existent. The only thing either of them have done "for" Dom3 is have some decent sales.

So like I said, I hope Dom4 gets on Steam. For Illwinters sake.

I can see your point in that Steam would give it more sales because the Steam user base is so large.

But Steam doesn't go out and pay for advertising on other sites, for games they host.  Why would you expect Gamersgate and Desura to do it?  The only reason Steam will pick up more sales is because everybody & their grandmother uses it and they would see it briefly listed on the front page.  So, yeah, it would only be good for sales.

I believe COE3 was greenlighted wasn't it?  Because the Steam crew would've rejected Dom3 on sight, before they implemented their indie Greenlight feature. 

Huw the Poo

I'm about 95% certain that CoE3 did not have to go through Greenlight.

And if the people at Valve were the hardcore gamers they'd have us believe, they'd have instantly recognised Dom3 and brought it straight in.

parone

I don't know where you found those reviews faux, but they are great.  big thanks for posting :D

Yskonyn

Wow thanks for sharing those links! Looking very sharp! Anticipation is rising!!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 15, 2013, 03:52:29 PM
I'm about 95% certain that CoE3 did not have to go through Greenlight.

And if the people at Valve were the hardcore gamers they'd have us believe, they'd have instantly recognised Dom3 and brought it straight in.

Perhaps COE3 didn't but they've also loosened up since Greenlight came about, too.  I recall a couple indie developers being openly frustrated about being turned down by Steam a few years ago, with the reasoning that their titles' style "didn't fit into their portfolio" or some such.  Which was pretty much First-Person Shooters and basic RTSes.  Thankfully they loosened up a bit, or I don't think they would've even brought COE3 on-board.

It still sounds like a challenge to get indie turn-based strategy titles approved by Steam without going through Greenlight and that may well be the issue with getting the Dominions series in. 

I'd still prefer to get it from Desura, since I can have both a client install and a DRM-free installer version I can burn to a disk for safe-keeping. 

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on July 15, 2013, 09:36:11 PM
I'd still prefer to get it from Desura, since I can have both a client install and a DRM-free installer version I can burn to a disk for safe-keeping. 

Yep.  Desura may be lacking in some areas, but it certainly shows Steam who's boss in this regard.

Yskonyn

Man, I feel like a teenager. Its been a long time since I have been spamming a game's homepage to look for new info every day.
But the Dom 4 site is getting it!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

gp1628

I have auto-routines that email me any changes to the home pages and progress pages for all of Illwinters games. Plus one that continually watches for new Illwinter games showing up on Steam.

Nefaro

So.. I wonder if/when we'll get a pre-release beta to check out. 

Since the Dom4 release has been delayed, there must've been some annoying bug(s) in there.   :-[

happyfungi

beta is available on desura now.

Yskonyn