Main Menu

Necrovision

Started by Gusington, February 01, 2012, 11:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

OK after about 10 years of building up an awesome WWI collection of books, I am preparing to take the plunge and start reading. I had delved deep into medieval and renaissance reading for almost 10 years.

So, along with the reading is the gaming, and that's where the Necrovision games come in. Anyone play these WWI themed horror shooters? There's a bundle of two games available on Steam for 25.00. Would like to get your opinions, if any.

Thanks all!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I never played them, but I've heard mixed things.  Some say good, some say bad. What I do know is they frequently go on sale, so I wouldn't pay $25 for the bundle.  You can probably score them much cheaper sooner or later.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Yeah I guess in this new golden age 25.00 is a bit steep. The Gamespot review is mixed on the first one like you said. "If you can get past the first 1/3, it's a solid game," they say.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

spelk

I played Necrovision when it was released because I wanted to see WWI in an FPS, it soon devolves into a zombie shooter, with fantastical weapons and supernatural magic. I was turned off.

A better game that has some nice WWI set pieces attached is Darkest of Days, although this too has a time travelling sci fi theme - but as a bonus you get to fight in the American Civil War and WWI. With a brief spell at the Battle of Little Bighorn!

Ultimately, they spice up historical shooters with fantasy, supernatural, steampunk, sci fi or zombies in the vain hope it will attract the attention deficient youngsters and their Call of Duty mentality. I wish they'd just hone a historical shooter and put it out and see. Red Orchestra seems to have done ok for itself.

Some of the best period shooting I've had was in the Napoleonic mod for Mount and Blade, and I believe theres a WWI mod for that somewhere.

Ultimately if you want a fantastical journey, with a hint of WWI, then Necrovision might fit the bill, but if you want anything approaching a historical experience, its probably not going to satiate your lust.

Gusington

^Well put. I love some crazy supernatural stuff and WWI so I may like it. I will wait for a price drop though.

As an aside, you don't have the WWI or Napoleonic links for M&B do you?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

spelk

Quote from: Gusington on February 01, 2012, 01:40:55 PM
As an aside, you don't have the WWI or Napoleonic links for M&B do you?

I did a bit here with a link, and a few screenshots for the Napoleonic one  - Mount and Musket

http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=2045

and some info about a very serious regimental clan I joined for a while.. The 51st!

http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=2077

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mount-and-musket-battalion-mod

Heres a WWI mod, but I think its still in development - rather than being released - Battlefield Europe 1916

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,208720.0.html

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Do you like cheezy horror movies?

Are you willing to overlook a game design that is a bit rough around the edges?

If you answered yes to both questions, you'll probably enjoy Necrovision. I knew that I was in very early on, when some demonic head started ranting at me as I wandered a trench line.

Steelgrave

Darkest of Days looks kinda cool. I should consider adding it to the list of games on my hard drive that I don't have time to play.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Steelgrave on February 04, 2012, 04:40:24 PM
Darkest of Days looks kinda cool. I should consider adding it to the list of games on my hard drive that I don't have time to play.

I really enjoyed Darkest of Days and its one of the few games I've played start to finish. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18