Steel Beasts Pro PE

Started by Tomlok, January 31, 2014, 05:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomlok

Hi
ia m very interested in this sim but i am not sure what is involved. I have a few questions if anyone could help me with?

1. Can you please explain the DRM?
2. Can it be purchased in the UK?
3. If purchased from the USA do you have to pay customs?
4. How hardcore is it?
5. How steep is the learning curve
6. Replayability?
7. How large is the community?
8. Anything similar out there?

Thank you for all and any replies gents

Jack Nastyface

Quote1. Can you please explain the DRM?
SB Pro PE uses a codemeter USB key to validate the license.  Basically this means you need to have the key plugged into a USB port when you launch the game.
Quote2. Can it be purchased in the UK?
Yes, in fact I believe there is a very active Brit user group.
Quote3. If purchased from the USA do you have to pay customs?
You can download the content from the website, so the only thing that needs to be shipped to you is the USB key.  Customs may open the package, but I haven't heard of anyone paying duty / customs on it.
Quote4. How hardcore is it?
Very.  This game started life as a "study" sim but was later adopted by various military services as a training tool.  Although there are obviously some limitations about what can / cannot be realistically modelled, this game includes detailed modelling of ballistics, fire control systems, artillery, ATGM, vehicle damage, etc.  For all intents and purposes, this is about as detailed as it gets for AFV combat.  The latest version has all kinds of goodies like mine-clearing vehicles, bridging vehicles, ATGM weapons, civilians, multi-side combat, etc.  The game does suffer from no "real" campaign mode, though, so game sessions tend to consist of playing a bunch of individual battles / scenarios (which can range from quite small (1 - 2 platoons of AFV's) to very large (10 - 12).  I like the small scale stuff.
Quote5. How steep is the learning curve
Overall, not too bad.  Probably the best way to learn this game is to pick a vehicle (say the M1A1 Abrams) and go through the tutorials that cover all the basics (moving, position control, main gun, ammo, Tank commander position, radio support, etc).  Since each tank behaves differently and has different procedures, you sometimes need to do this for each "unique" system.  Meaning...learning how to hit a moving target in an Abrams is different than in a Leopard, but calling in Artillery is the same for both vehicles.
Quote6. Replayability?
This depends largely on what you want to play.  If you go multiplayer, replayability is endless.  If you go for the single player stuff, even simple missions can feature random events / route planning, etc.  One of my favorite scenarios is you versus 9 Russian tanks that follow a random-path route.  I have played this scenario over and over and not really get bored (unless you edit the mission and change your tank to the M1A2 which is awesome).  Admittedly, I do think that mission selection and replayability are in need of improvement.  There is no random campaign or battle generator, and as mentioned, the campaigns are a little bit lack-lustre.
Quote7. How large is the community?
It feels relatively small, but quite active.  There are regular multi-player game events, a mostly convival if not slightly fanboi-ish webforum, and lots of user-created content (scenarios, etc).  Some of the more active forum members are also former military / armor guys, so you can get some amazingly detailed discussions about fire-control systems, etc.
Quote8. Anything similar out there?
Not that I know of.  Perhaps ARMA III might have "realistic" feeling AFV  combat.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Tomlok

Thank you for the reply    Jack Nastyface

Where in the UK can this be purchased?  Anybody else have any thoughts about SB?

Thank you

Jack Nastyface

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tomlok on January 31, 2014, 06:33:07 PM
Thank you for the reply    Jack Nastyface

Where in the UK can this be purchased?  Anybody else have any thoughts about SB?

Thank you

If your looking for a modern tank simulation, this is pretty much it....I bought it over the summer, but still learning it....just haven't had the time to fully get into it with all these other wonderful game releases since then:)

Toonces

With respect to similar games, I'd argue that ARMA 2 and DCS:Combined Arms can provide a cheaper entry into modern armor warfare, at the expense of some realism.

Steel Beasts does what it does excellently.  However, ARMA 2 has a lot of "things" to play with, including helos and infantry, that you can't do in SB.  If you watch some ARMA 2 videos you can see what I mean pretty clearly.  Also, it's pretty easy to set up a quick mission in ARMA 2.

DCS: Combined Arms is the weakest of the three when it comes to armor modelling, but then you open up the air warfare realm with some very well modeled helos and, of course, the A-10. 

You can get Combined Arms and ARMA 2 Complete for about half or less of the buy-in to Steel Beasts, and the DRM is Steam vice the dongle.  Shipping is free.

Obviously, if Steel Beasts' level of fidelity is what you're looking for then that's what you need to get.  But if you just want to have fun in modern armor, there are other, cheaper options.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bobarossa

If you don't like DRM at all, you can get Arma 2 Combined Ops at GOG for $25.  Of Arma 2 Complete at Gamersgate for $40, free of online DRM.