Favorite WWII Tactical Level Game?

Started by DV8, April 20, 2012, 02:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DV8

I'm not very good at the RTS games.  I like to take my time making decisions.  Company of Heroes is outstanding game but I have a hard time watching the entire field of battle.

I'm going with the iPad version of CM since I travel for work and John Tiller's Campaign Series for the PC since it does not look like a system breaker.

Thanks!
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

Arctic Blast

The Steel Panthers series and Company of Heroes for me.

Toonces

The only tactical WW2 game I have on my computer is Carriers at War.  I like it.  I prefer the Vassal version of Carrier better, though.

Sadly, I don't spend nearly as much time with those games as I should.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

Quote from: Toonces on April 21, 2012, 05:01:28 PM
The only tactical WW2 game I have on my computer is Carriers at War.  I like it.  I prefer the Vassal version of Carrier better, though.

Sadly, I don't spend nearly as much time with those games as I should.

Do you have the original or the Matrix re-release? I was somewhat disappointed that the new version had so few scenarios- and none in the European Theater. The original Complete Carriers at War had lots of stuff to play around with. I even tried to make a USS Macon unit complete with
Sparrowhawks but didn't get far.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Bison

Tiller's Campaign Series is an excellent choice too.  Lots of game for what you pay for it.  Also if you like to PBEM there is a pretty active community for the game at theblitz.org

Keunert

The first Combat Mission hooked me like no other game. this were my finest gaming moments. Steel Panther comes second.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Bismarck

I think the world of Tillers Panzer Campaigns but are they really tactical, not operational?
Jim Cobb

MIGMaster

Quote from: Keunert on April 22, 2012, 01:24:43 PM
The first Combat Mission hooked me like no other game. this were my finest gaming moments. Steel Panther comes second.

For some reason Steel Panthers never really hooked me until SP II Modern Battles. I played this wayyyyyy tooooooooo much !

Bison

Quote from: Bismarck on April 22, 2012, 01:39:43 PM
I think the world of Tillers Panzer Campaigns but are they really tactical, not operational?

Yes this is true. 

jomni

John Tiller Campaign Series - If you only can have one game, then this is the one to get as it has tons of engagements in all fronts and periods of WW2.  Although Steel Panthers may do the same thing, JTCS is more streamlined and prettier (different scale though and less detailed).

John Tiller Squad Battles - It has quirky game mechanics but it does lead to realistic and exciting engagments with focus on individual weapons and leaders.  It adds little details not found in classic squad level hex games like Steel Panthers (taking cover manually, swapping weapons and selecting ammo, manual rallying of troops).

I don't have CMBN yet... waiting for a big bundle.

DeltaCharlie

Steel Panthers is the best single-player.  But for multi-player I would have to go with Company of Heroes.  The friends I game with are not grognards, but they thoroughly enjoyed CoH.

Stryker07

CM Series is my #1. CMBN has seen the most time recently, but CMSF and the originals beat the snot out of CMBN for hours sunk in my little gaming world.

My first love, however, was Steel Panthers 2. Played that game until my head hurt, every day, when I was in high school.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog
GG's War in the West
Panzer Corps