Main Menu

Bards Tale 1-3

Started by RedArgo, August 06, 2018, 04:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

It could not not be a crime not to get it!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

The DRM-Free version of The Bard's Tale Trilogy is available from GOG for $14.99 U.S.

I am supposed to receive it free since I backed the kickstarter for The Bard's Tale IV, but CrowdOx does not work for me and I cannot complete the survey necessary to obtain the key for The Bard's Tale Trilogy. >:(
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Wolfe1759

Grim thanks for the info, saved me a couple of quid.

FYI there is a new beta patch available via Steam which adds a large graphic option which is rather nice.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Grim.Reaper

So even with the price....not sure if I pick up yet.  Never played the original and based on what I see, just wondering if it will be good enough for me.

Somebody convince me:)

Gusington

^How old are you? When did you start gaming?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on August 17, 2018, 05:13:03 PM
^How old are you? When did you start gaming?

Pong in the 70's
Atari in the late 70's/early 80's
Commodore Vic 20 and Commodore 128 mid-late 80's
Owned first PC probably in 1990

and the rest is history from there....

Wolfe1759

The new version of The Bard's Tale has better graphics than Pong.

Did that convince you?  :)
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on August 17, 2018, 05:21:27 PM
The new version of The Bard's Tale has better graphics the Pong.

Did that convince you?  :)

If that is the best you got, looks like my dollars are safe from spending:)

sandman2575

There's definitely a strong element of nostalgia in BT's appeal, Grim. I can definitely see how if you never played, it might seem quite shallow by today's standards. For me, a good part of the joy of playing the remastered version right now is all the "Oh yeah! I had totally forgotten about X" moments. And also seeing all the ways Krome Studios has enhanced the original. They've made Skara Brae wonderfully atmospheric - sometimes snow is falling; you can see Kylearan's and Mangars's Towers looming above in the fog as you wander the streets; dusk is really evocative of that feeling of "time to get back to the Adventurer's Guild before the Werewolves descend on my incredibly vulnerable Level 2 characters".

I'm loving it and highly recommend (... in Gus's case, INSIST he get  ;) ) it to anyone who enjoyed the originals back in the 80s.

Grim - did you play Ultima, or Dungeon Master ? If you liked those types of games and are willing to put up with some somewhat primitive 80s CRPG mechanics, you might well enjoy Bard's Tale.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 17, 2018, 05:23:32 PM
There's definitely a strong element of nostalgia in BT's appeal, Grim. I can definitely see how if you never played, it might seem quite shallow by today's standards. For me, a good part of the joy of playing the remastered version right now is all the "Oh yeah! I had totally forgotten about X" moments. And also seeing all the ways Krome Studios has enhanced the original. They've made Skara Brae wonderfully atmospheric - sometimes snow is falling; you can see Kylearan's and Mangars's Towers looming above in the fog as you wander the streets; dusk is really evocative of that feeling of "time to get back to the Adventurer's Guild before the Werewolves descend on my incredibly vulnerable Level 2 characters".

I'm loving it and highly recommend (... in Gus's case, INSIST he get  ;) ) it to anyone who enjoyed the originals back in the 80s.

Grim - did you play Ultima, or Dungeon Master ? If you liked those types of games and are willing to put up with some somewhat primitive 80s CRPG mechanics, you might well enjoy Bard's Tale.

Thanks Sandman...back in the day wasn't much into the RPG-like games so didn't play any of those...mostly was sports and wargames.  I am intrigued by it but just not sure if something that will click with me.  I know its only $12 so not like a big investment, but still....

Gusington

The Bard's Tale is one of the first RPGs I played. I was barely a teenager...12 or 13. The writing is excellent and evocative. If you like using your imagination even partially while gaming you will like the first one. I can't vouch for 2 or 3 because I never played it.

Sounds like you are older than me, btw...I was too young to actually play Pong in the 70s :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

Quote from: Gusington on August 17, 2018, 05:37:52 PM
The Bard's Tale is one of the first RPGs I played. I was barely a teenager...12 or 13. The writing is excellent and evocative. If you like using your imagination even partially while gaming you will like the first one. I can't vouch for 2 or 3 because I never played it.

Sounds like you are older than me, btw...I was too young to actually play Pong in the 70s :)

Young whippersnapper!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak