Roadtrip USA

Started by Jarhead0331, September 17, 2023, 06:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I've messaged privately with some of you about this, but I'm opening up to wider audiences. In October, I'll be driving from Austin, Texas to Long Island, New York. The purpose of the trip is twofold. First and foremost, it is to relocate my mother from Texas to Maryland. In the aftermath of my brother's death this summer, my mom decided it is too painful to remain in Texas alone, so she is moving to be closer to family. Second, I'm transporting a lot of my brother's belongings that would be too costly and cumbersome to ship. The plan is to accomplish the trip in three days with two overnight stays. This will result in approximately 10 hours of driving per day. My route takes me up through Texas, into Arkansas, across Tennessee, up north through Virginia, into Maryland, and then onto Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York.

I wish I could take the opportunity to turn it into a real trip, because there is some beautiful country and tons of historical sites and national parks along this route, but this just isn't the time to do that. So my question is basically what are some nice, safe, affordable places to stay overnight along this route (primarily on I-40 and I-81)? I think I'll need to stop overnight in Tennessee and in Virginia based on the estimated time of travel to these points. JasonPratt has given me a good start with a nice idea in Tennessee. I welcome any other ideas, thoughts or experiences. The primary concern is safety. I'm with my elderly mother and I have a van loaded with valuables.

Thanks in advance.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tripoli

If you are driving a loaded U-Haul, I would consider going via Atlanta then to I-95 to avoid the Appalachians.  I've crossed them before with a heavily loaded truck and trailer, and some of the grade was almost too much.  If your load is lighter, then what Jason is suggesting would be fine.  If you are taking a less heavily ladened vehicle, try to hit the Appalachian parkway, as it should be nice at that time of year
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tripoli on September 17, 2023, 09:05:32 AMIf you are driving a loaded U-Haul, I would consider going via Atlanta then to I-95 to avoid the Appalachians.  I've crossed them before with a heavily loaded truck and trailer, and some of the grade was almost too much.  If your load is lighter, then what Jason is suggesting would be fine.  If you are taking a less heavily ladened vehicle, try to hit the Appalachian parkway, as it should be nice at that time of year

No U-Haul. Just a mini-van.

Thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

steve58

Something to keep in mind that may affect hotel availability and traffic, especially if your trip is over a weekend. 

Bistol, TN/VA has a race track.  There's a race the Oct 6 weekend.

VTU (Blacksburg, VA) has a home game Oct 14 (homecoming) and Oct 26

JMU (Harrisonburg, VA) has a home game Oct 14 and Oct 28 (homecoming)

My wife and I have driven I-81 many times through VA and TN, but never had occasion to stop overnight at hotels. I could tell you that Warrenton, VA would be a nice stop, but then you'd almost be into Maryland. :tongue:
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

SirAndrewD

Don't stay at the Stadium Inn in Nashville.

A buddy of mine and I stayed there one night and as soon as we entered our (unlocked) room he immediately flipped the mattress on his bed onto the floor. 

The sign at the front desk said "You can see your room before you pay but all bookings are final"

I asked him why and he said, in total seriousness "Because I needed to know if I'd find a dead hooker under there". 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

My experiences with Atlanta driving, I would sooner drive a moped in a Demolition Derby. Anywhere in the Shenandoah Valley is beautiful anytime of year. I would go there if you possibly get the chance. It's not fast but the scenery is spectacular.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 17, 2023, 09:41:24 PMMy experiences with Atlanta driving, I would sooner drive a moped in a Demolition Derby. Anywhere in the Shenandoah Valley is beautiful anytime of year. I would go there if you possibly get the chance. It's not fast but the scenery is spectacular.

I lived in Atlanta for eight years.  All it takes to drive there is be decisive and go with traffic.  Highly highly overrated in its danger. 

The worst thing about Atlanta traffic are the out of towners that panic on the interstate and drop to 50mph and put their turn signal on hoping someone's going to let them in. 

After eight years there driving most places feels like trying to run in water.  Drivers here in Montgomery are FAR worse than Atlanta.  If 80% of Gump drivers went to try to drive every day in ATL they'd be dead.

The worst, absolute worst place I've ever driven because of the other drivers and traffic is Detroit and Michigan in general.  Nothing else even compares and I've driven about 40% of the USA and some of Canada.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

South Floriduh's I-95 enters the chat.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

Driving everywhere sucks now since everyone has become so fucking stupid and distracted  :ThumbsUp:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

In Atlanta, NO ONE lets you in. Also, no one can hear you scream. The last time I was near the place, I would've loved to be doing 50 mph. Rush Hour, which is every hour, the speed drops to about single digits, which makes people even crazier than usual. I-95 and I-75 Are bad too but this time of year all the traffic's heading south so you can make good time going north.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

My main problems with Atlanta were always downtown (the Knoxville fencing team went there for Sectional Tournaments each year). "Welcome to Atlanta, you are now lost." This was admittedly before computer navigation.

My advice was limited to looking for a safe hotel in West Memphis, AR, out to the other side of Memphis, btw.

But I'll add some I-40 travel advice: if you're planning to go through or around or even near Knoxville, make sure that isn't on a home game day! Neyland Stadium holds a ludicrous number of fans, and a lot of them hang out tailgating instead, and most of them either way will be clogging the roads in and then later out.

Also, gosh, the best routes over the mountains for a loaded minivan... Well, going around them to the south will take you farrrrr out of your way (and subject you to Atlanta etc.) And you'll still get some problems like coming down off the Green Wall on the east side of the Cumberland Plateau, no matter what path you take afterward. Going to Atlanta still takes you through Chattanooga and all the terrain that implies.

I really might suggest taking a diagonal once you're across the Mississippi (or even before then if you nap at West Memphis, go north on I-55 to cross over between Caruthersville and Dyersburg with I-155 to Union City, avoid the big cities altogether, plenty of good food on the way), take Hwy 45 to the Purchase Parkway -- several other routes available if you strike through/around Memphis first instead. Head up through Kentucky to Ohio, try to find a way across to Maryland from there. The Appalachians are wider but aren't as steep in that area. Might even save you some time rather than taking the equivalent legs through TN and then north. If you go up I-75 (presumably?) from Knoxville to Virginia, it'll take you longer to get through the mountains, cutting them with the grain so to speak. But come to think of it, you'll be following more valleys and fewer passes that way. You'll just have to get off the Green Wall first.

But by any route, the major interstates will be graded through mountain passes as gently as feasibly possible. (Qualified by the Green Wall again as an example for feasibility, unfortunately!) And hotel availability/safety may easily deduct out optional paths. TN keeps up I-40 better than some places (e.g. Arkansas traditionally, where I-40 has often been like heavy chop in a motorboat!), and the farther north you go before striking eastward the worse the highways will be due to past cold weather crumbling them vs their D.O.T budgets.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

theres a free candy van meme in here somewhere.  :magnify:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

matt3916

Groggy

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 17, 2023, 06:30:11 AMI've messaged privately with some of you about this, but I'm opening up to wider audiences. In October, I'll be driving from Austin, Texas to Long Island, New York. The purpose of the trip is twofold. First and foremost, it is to relocate my mother from Texas to Maryland. In the aftermath of my brother's death this summer, my mom decided it is too painful to remain in Texas alone, so she is moving to be closer to family. Second, I'm transporting a lot of my brother's belongings that would be too costly and cumbersome to ship. The plan is to accomplish the trip in three days with two overnight stays. This will result in approximately 10 hours of driving per day. My route takes me up through Texas, into Arkansas, across Tennessee, up north through Virginia, into Maryland, and then onto Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York.

I wish I could take the opportunity to turn it into a real trip, because there is some beautiful country and tons of historical sites and national parks along this route, but this just isn't the time to do that. So my question is basically what are some nice, safe, affordable places to stay overnight along this route (primarily on I-40 and I-81)? I think I'll need to stop overnight in Tennessee and in Virginia based on the estimated time of travel to these points. JasonPratt has given me a good start with a nice idea in Tennessee. I welcome any other ideas, thoughts or experiences. The primary concern is safety. I'm with my elderly mother and I have a van loaded with valuables.

Thanks in advance.

Whenever you have the opportunity, try to make your road trip stops at Pilot Flying J Travel Centers/Gas Stations. Based on my own road trip experience, you can't go wrong with a Pilot station.

''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Jarhead0331

Well... I'm here in Austin and tomorrow is D-day. Hope it is a smooth drive.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog