Main Menu

Iran

Started by GDS_Starfury, October 28, 2022, 11:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

I would like to think that all of us here have been or can be behind the women and youth of Iran.  I'm impressed at how they're not giving in!
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MengJiao

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 28, 2022, 11:50:47 PM
I would like to think that all of us here have been or can be behind the women and youth of Iran.  I'm impressed at how they're not giving in!

Well, if they are going to beat you to death for wearing your scarf wrong, why not get beaten to death for burning a few morality policemen?  I guess
the morality police finally pushed women into a corner and they feel they might as well fight since they get beaten to death for showing their faces anyway.

I have no idea what the social dynamics are of the insurrection -- for example how much of the population is actually in the uprising, but it would be nice
if the morality police stopped beating girls to death.  I guess one can always hope for such basic improvements in morality police behavior -- but who's to say how
likely that is?

GDS_Starfury

its seems to be a sizable percentage of their population which also happens to be mostly under the age of 35.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

FarAway Sooner

There was an interesting feature on NPR this morning that traced the evolution of Islamic law relating to women and the unique aspects of Iranian feminism since the Revolution this morning.   I wasn't able to listen to it consistently enough to get a sense for where the news story was heading, but there was more history and nuance to the history of the last 40 years there than I had realized.

Clearly, Mahsa Amini's death served as a spark that in a powder keg.  One thing that's particularly interesting here is how united Iranian women seem to have been.  I'm not sure how prominently Iranian females have been in previous protests against Iran's Revolutionary government, but there are now millions of them defying the hardline regime every day.

GDS_Starfury

there are also a lot of young men that are supporting them which is awesome!
its not like the youth of Iran has been happy with the regime.

GDS_Starfury

Gusington

I wish them the best. I hope this doesn't end with a Tiananmen style crack down.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on October 30, 2022, 04:08:37 PM
I wish them the best. I hope this doesn't end with a Tiananmen style crack down.

Unfortunately revolutions usually end badly for someone.
Insert witty comment here.

Sir Slash

The regime won't go down easy. There will be blood in the streets, first the protesters and then maybe the police as well. Look for the Revolutionary Guard to start cracking heads if the police can't handle things soon.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Skoop

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 30, 2022, 10:38:12 PM
The regime won't go down easy. There will be blood in the streets, first the protesters and then maybe the police as well. Look for the Revolutionary Guard to start cracking heads if the police can't handle things soon.

Why not arm them like mujahedeen style.  Iran certainly deserves it for decades of treachery around the globe and for meddling in Ukraine.  Just like Putin, the only thing those douche bag rulers in iran understand is armed force.  Imagine the statement those protesters would make when they are fighting back with javelins, stingers, and switchblade drones. 

I feel like javelins have become the symbol of democracy by force in 2022 versus the AK47's symbol of communist revolutions in the 70's.

GDS_Starfury

I think thats a great way for the whole thing to fail in this case.

Sir Slash

I would love for the people of Iran to rise-up and overthrow this evil bunch but I don't believe they stand a chance unless they're willing to lose a lot of lives in the process. The Govt. there has no conscious, but they're own survival.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  My sense is that widespread passive resistance is more likely to bring about change there than any degree of armed militant resistance.  But the only way to drive regime change is to make the current regime kill so many innocents that the army finally decides they've had it. 

I think the hardliners have used this as a chance to crack down on opposition leaders (journalists, academics, etc.).  Iran continues to stew in its own crap.  Until somebody in the country can get better organized than the hardliners, I'm not sure how to bring about relatively peaceful change.

GDS_Starfury

more defiant protests from the Iranian soccer team with crowd support.
I really hope the youth of Iran has had enough and so far it seems they have.

W8taminute

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 21, 2022, 10:42:43 AM
more defiant protests from the Iranian soccer team with crowd support.
I really hope the youth of Iran has had enough and so far it seems they have.

I saw that on Twitter I think.  Yeah they are getting defiant. 

To date the IRCG has killed over 400 protesters across 155 cities in Iran. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk