Six Days in October - The Consolidated Dispatches of Marshal Lannes

Started by panzerde, May 14, 2018, 06:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

Reply from Lannes

I would like Foucher's division to prepare for action on the road. He is to send patrols toward the river bridges to determine if they are being held by Prussian troops. D'Hautpol is to move as quickly as possible to reinforce Foucher.

The infantry divisions should begin crossing the pontoon bridge and moving to the road. They should make use of the second bridge as soon as it is available.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

Dispatch - Lannes to Davout

To: Davout, copies to Emperor Napoleon. Marshals Augereau, Bernadotte
Time: 0000 20 October

M. Davout,

General Foucher's cavalry has reached the road north from Weissenfels. I have directed him to prepare for action along the road, and to advance patrols to the river bridges to determine if they are held in strength by the Prussians. If not, I intend to destroy them, trapping the enemy against the river. If they are, I will take them under artillery fire as soon as there is enough light.

General D'Hautpol's curassiers are also across the river, and moving to reinforce Foucher. The infantry divisions are beginning to cross now. Corps engineers anticipate having a second bridge available by 0100.

Do you have any word on Ney's corps or the Guard?

Lannes

panzerde

DELAYED DISPATCH -- ARRIVES 0330, 20th October

To: III Corps, Emperor Napoleon, Marshalls Lannes, Murat, Augereau, Bernadotte
Time: 0100 20 Oct

NEW ORDERS

Marshal Bernadotte has been reinforced and will attack tomorrow at 1000, with an artillery bombardment commencing at 0800.

III Corps will support this attack with artillery and its own attack.

All artillery will commence fire on the Prussians at 0800.

All divisions will be prepared to attack by 1000.  Divisions will attack when the flank of the Prussian division they face comes under threat.  We expect to roll the Prussians up from the right.

- Davout

panzerde

DISPAtCH -- DAVOUT to LANNES -- 0500, 20th October

To: III Corps, Emperor Napoleon, Marshalls Lannes, Murat, Augereau, Bernadotte
Time: 0100 20 Oct

NEW ORDERS

Marshal Bernadotte has been reinforced and will attack tomorrow at 1000, with an artillery bombardment commencing at 0800.

III Corps will support this attack with artillery and its own attack.

All artillery will commence fire on the Prussians at 0800.

All divisions will be prepared to attack by 1000.  Divisions will attack when the flank of the Prussian division they face comes under threat.  We expect to roll the Prussians up from the right.

- Davout

panzerde

FROM CONTROL -- 0500, 20th October
A couple notes.

1.  D'Hautpol and Foucher are now both deploy to resist any attempt to cross the Saale and depart North from Weissenfels.  Other divisions continue to march.

2.  Your scouts indicate that the bridge over the Saale is not heavily held.

panzerde

Dispatch - Lannes to V Corps

To: V Corps, copies to Emperor Napoleon, Marshal Davout, Marshal Bernadotte, Marshal Augereau
Sent: 0500

Generals,

We are now in a position to hold the Saale river crossings above Weissenfels. Our cavalry is in position and the infantry is on the way. Marshal Bernadotte will begin an attack against the Prussians in Weissenfels at 1000, supported by Marshal Davout. The attack will be proceeded by an artillery bombardment beginning at 0800.

As the crossings are lightly held, General Foucher is ordered to move to immediately seize the river crossings. General D'Hautpol's heavy cavalry will support Foucher's cavalry. Artillery is to be positioned to command the crossings and their approaches from the Weissenfels side.

When 1st Division arrives, it will relieve General Foucher's cavalry in holding the bridges. The cavalry will retire into support. On arrival, 2nd Division will position itself across the road north from Weissenfels and in support of 1st Division. Foucher's cavalry will screen the corps to the north along the road from Weissenfels. D'Hautpol will act as the corps reserve. All artillery is to be massed to the front of the 2nd Division, commanding the bridges and approaches.

We are the cork in the bottle, gentlemen. We will hold here, pinning the Prussians in Weissenfels to be destroyed by Bernadotte and Davout.

I am moving my headquarters now to General Hautpol's position.

Allons Y!

Lannes

panzerde

DISPATCH -- FROM CONTROL -- 0700, 20th October

Marshal Lannes,

Marching as you are with General D'Hautpol's division, you can see that his men have seized the bridge over the Saale with little opposition.

Any attempt to attack over it into Weissenfels -- if opposed by the Prussians -- would, however, confer its benefits to them.  The intentions of those Prussians still South of the Saale remains unclear.

Should they attack across it towards you, however, the benefit of the bridge would be yours.

S!

panzerde

Dispatch to Davout

To: Marshal Davout, copies to Emperor Napoleon, Marshal Bernadotte, Marshal Augereau
Sent: 0700

My brother Marshal,

My cavalry is in place cutting the road out of Weissenfels. I have seized the bridges over the Saale, and await the arrival of my infantry. At this point the Prussians are either unaware of the presence of my forces or have elected to ignore it.

I will remain in place until the battle develops south of the Saale. I will either act to stop a Prussian withdrawal from Weissenfels or, if the situation seems favorable, advance across the bridges and attack them from behind once they are engaged with your forces.

Lannes

panzerde

DISPATCH -- FROM CONTROL -- 0900, 20th October

Marshals,

On schedule at 0800, the sound of cannon fire is heard from the South of Weissenfels.

S!

panzerde

A Question from Control -- 1000, 20th October

As you know, you're poised at the North side of the only bridge crossing the Saale from Weissenfels.

The sounds of battle are heard as the fracas begins.

So:  are you the cork in the bottle or do you attack over the river?  If the latter, whom do you send?

S!

panzerde

panzerde

From Control

Suchet is with D'Hautpol and Foucher.

Gazan still coming.

panzerde

From Lannes

I'll stay in place until Gazan is up. As per my earlier orders, Suchet is to take possession of the bridges relieving Foucher, who is to deploy his division in a screen north of my position. I want him to screen the corps against any Prussians moving south from Mersebourg to try and relieve Weissenfels. D'Hautpol is to stay in support of Suchet until Gazan is up and relives him, at which point he will become corps reserve, north of and behind the infantry.

Suchet should send scouts forward and across the bridge, and report on Prussian positions south of the Saale. What are they doing, Do the Prussians seem to be completely engaged?

Gazan should report to me when his division is on line.

panzerde

From Control

Got it.

How far North do you want Foucher to go?

panzerde

From Lannes

5 KM