Planes!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 03, 2013, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I've seen it before.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteDassault Rafale M performing a carrier landing.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteA pair of Israeli Air Force F-16s flying over Masada

Staggerwing

Nice, ramping up the symbolism, eh?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

QuoteXB-70 with downward wingtips. This phenomenon allowed the XB-70 to effectively "capture" the shockwave generated by its own supersonic flight into usable lift. This form of compression lift decreased the induced drag of the XB-70 by around 20-30%

mirth

QuoteA Bristol Blenheim light bomber flies through the clouds above RAF Fairford, United Kingdom, during the Royal International Air Tattoo, July 17, 2015

mirth

QuoteA U.S. Air Force B-52 Stratofortress, B-1 Lancer and B-2 Spirit launch from Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, for an integrated bomber operation Aug.17, 2016

Windigo

That's one official shit-tonne of flaps on that old girl....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

besilarius

Too high an angle on the landing.  The landing gear will go through those wings some time.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Good thing they never tried it in real life then.

Actually, iirc, the nasalized version of the Stuka would have beefed-up landing gear from it's land-based brethren, with much longer travel on the oleos and the ability to be jettisoned in case of water landing. The naval Stuka would also have been equipped with giant flotation bladders that would deploy to keep the plane afloat for several days.

Looks a bit like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh, don't 'e?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bob48

There was also a modified version of the Bf 109E-3 produced and known as the 109T (Trager) for use on the Graf Zeppelin. These included increased wing span and manually folding wings amongst other things. they were later used by I/JG 77 after much of the deck equipment had been removed. This unit operated from Norway apparently.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Quote from: bob48 on March 14, 2017, 04:03:49 PMThis unit operated from Norway apparently.

No doubt the short take-off ability and probable cold-weather survival upgrades would have suited operating among the Fjords. They didn't use the Norwegian Blue Parrot as unit insignia by any chance?

bob48

LOL - if they didn't, then they should have  :2funny:
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth