Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Computer Gaming / Re: Friday 1999
« Last post by Toonces on Yesterday at 11:13:37 AM »
^ Wow, that looks like a really interesting game, Tripoli.

Anyway, I haven't played a video game in donkeys, but today and this weekend I'm gonna clear the schedule and invest some time in gaming.  I'm with Rayfer and Tripoli with the ACW themes: Grand Tactician and Scourge of War (interestingly, I'm just finishing up Sears' Landscape Turned Red and I have a book on standby called Before Antietam, the Battle for South Mountain.  I was wondering if Scourge of War had any South Mountain scenarios).

I'm also likely going to go with some old faithful Cold Waters, and maybe, just maybe if I'm feeling ambitious, fire up War on the Sea.  Still haven't really given it much of a shot.

That's a pretty ambitious gaming schedule, so we'll see how much I get through.  Books seem to be taking up all of my time lately.
« Last post by Tripoli on Yesterday at 11:05:12 AM »
Burden of Command work.  I may play around with Stellaris and Grand Tactician.   I also may try to finish the South Mountain scenarios in Scourge of War, so I can start working on publishing the AAR.  I'll be travelling to my friend's house later next week to finish a FtF game of Churchill.  Right now, it is November 1943,  I'm the Soviets, and we are halfway through the game.  The US has landed in Normandy, and the USSR had a breakthrough and is in Prussia.  The US is stymie'd in the Pacific, and the UK is on mainland Italy, but has made no progress in the CBI.  With that said, I'm trailing behind in the score, as I've been busy trying to beat the fascists, (and stealing the occasional A-bomb secret), while the UK has been busily reinforcing its colonial position in the post-war era. However, the US/UK are behind in their A-bomb research, and in getting B-29 bases, so that will cost them towards the end of the game.  I just need to get them to do a little more squabbling between the two of them.  But, that might be a bit difficult to arrange with Soviet tanks in Prussia.....
« Last post by Jarhead0331 on Yesterday at 10:37:12 AM »
Ascent, Highfleet, Battlesector and some VR shooty things.

Interested to know your take on Highfleet - looks interesting. I'm SSD-ing my PC this weekend so will be curious to see what games are worth putting on there.

I don't think it needs to be on an SSD, but check out my impressions here: http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=25247.15

Overall, I'm enjoying it, but it is rough in spots.
« Last post by Phantom on Yesterday at 10:19:04 AM »
Ascent, Highfleet, Battlesector and some VR shooty things.

Interested to know your take on Highfleet - looks interesting. I'm SSD-ing my PC this weekend so will be curious to see what games are worth putting on there.
« Last post by Dammit Carl! on Yesterday at 10:04:34 AM »
Lol at the Shatner.

Saw the guy in a convention in late 90's in S.C.  The wife, who was then just a date, nearly immediately bolted when he started yammering on about how he was getting hit on by his nurses when he was laid up due to some horse stepping on him.  Max Shat.  always on the make.

Current Events / Re: Explosion Reported in USS Bonhomme Richard
« Last post by Tripoli on Yesterday at 10:03:13 AM »
After seeing way too many stories of people doing stupid stuff, could it be a person who didn't want to ship out so they try to do a "little," sabotage which turns out to be much worse?

-I've seen some real dumb ass enlisted types while in the military, so I'd be not surprised if such a thing happened.

Don't get me wrong.  I am not saying the fire wasn't deliberately set by a sailor.  I could absolutely see that as happening.  However, I could see the USN and/or NCIS railroading some enlisted sailor.  After all, they have done it before.  My only point is to look at the evidence before throwing a sailor (or for that matter, the USN) under the bus.
« Last post by Tripoli on Yesterday at 09:52:47 AM »
Just reading that it was only one person involved makes me stop for a second. The fire was so devastating that it basically rendered the ship a total loss. One person is capable of doing such damage?

Because it was a yard period, they had only an extremely small crew onboard.  Probably smaller than what they were supposed to have.  Only 160,   Additionally, I believe they had some issues with their firewatches and roving patrols,although I would have to check on that.  Basically, the fire rapidly became too large for such a small crew to contain.  Typically, a ship inport will have, as an absolute minimum, 1/6th of the crew onboard at all times, even in "cold iron" on Christmas Day.    25-33% onboard is typical.  FWIW, fires on ships are not unusual.  They just usually don't get out of control, as USN ships are well equipped, and the crew well trained to handle them.  In the case of the Bonhomme Richard, I think there were significant leadership/management/training/TTP lapses.
« Last post by Con on Yesterday at 09:51:34 AM »
So far if the report is true the US navy has suffered more losses by disgruntled workers than enemy action in the last 10 years.  This seems like the USS Miami story again

https://www.wearethemighty.com/popular/submarine-fire-uss-miami/
« Last post by Dammit Carl! on Yesterday at 09:50:34 AM »
After seeing way too many stories of people doing stupid stuff, could it be a person who didn't want to ship out so they try to do a "little," sabotage which turns out to be much worse?

-I've seen some real dumb ass enlisted types while in the military, so I'd be not surprised if such a thing happened.
« Last post by Gusington on Yesterday at 08:43:55 AM »
Just reading that it was only one person involved makes me stop for a second. The fire was so devastating that it basically rendered the ship a total loss. One person is capable of doing such damage?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10