Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Computer Gaming / Re: Steam sale starts tomorrow
« Last post by Sir Slash on Yesterday at 09:54:08 AM »
Exactly! That's why I only buy things on 4th of July, Veteran's Day, and Baby Jesus's and George Patton's Birthdays.  >:(
Current Events / Re: Russian Build Up on Ukrainian Border
« Last post by Pete Dero on Yesterday at 09:52:29 AM »
^Yes and thatís why analysts have been saying if an invasion happens, it happens before spring/March, so the tanks and heavy weapons can be more mobile on frozen ground.

Climate change could save Europe from war ...
Computer Gaming / Re: Steam sale starts tomorrow
« Last post by W8taminute on Yesterday at 09:43:59 AM »
The funny thing is that the lunar holiday goes back to ancient times, before the advent of communism if I'm not mistaken. 

But yes in today's atmosphere Steam is paying homage to the communists in charge over there in the far east.  ;)
« Last post by Gusington on Yesterday at 09:31:07 AM »
^Yes and thatís why analysts have been saying if an invasion happens, it happens before spring/March, so the tanks and heavy weapons can be more mobile on frozen ground.
Computer Gaming / Re: Distant Worlds 2 Formal Announcement
« Last post by bobarossa on Yesterday at 08:55:00 AM »
...one other thing I wanted to add. I installed it on my old workhorse. A 5th generation i7 with a 1080 and 32GB Ram and the game runs ok, but it does chug at times. I will probably end up installing it on my newer rig.

So, just beware that the game may struggle on older systems.
Well that doesn't bode well for my 1660 Super then. Hopefully bottleneck was somewhere else than GPU.

Looking at old save files, it looks like I haven't played DW1 since 2014!
Tabletop AARs / Re: Battle of the River Platte: Dec 13, 1939
« Last post by MengJiao on Yesterday at 08:54:48 AM »

Lots of different dice for this one!

Things escalated fast here near the River Plate (one t, the Platte is somewhere east of the central Rockies flowing across the Great Plains); unfortunately, in the SMR scenario,Graf Spee has to get past the three RN cruisers and they have a lot more guns and torpedoes and are faster. Achilles started hitting at 15,000 yds.  Graf Spee didn't score any hits at all (!).  After half an hour of closing the range, finally at 10,000 yds, Exeter (at that range the 8-inch guns will penetrate anything except the main turrets and conning tower on the pocket battleship) hits and one hit is critical -- it knocks out some AA guns and penetrates the belt and into the engine room dropping the pocket battleship's speed by 9 knots -- down to 19 from 28 against 33-knot cruisers.  I think that's a loss for the KriegsMarine.  Lesson -- stay as far away from cruisers as you can.  I'll get no thanks from the Germans for this one I'm afraid.
« Last post by Pete Dero on Yesterday at 08:54:12 AM »
Anyway, this theory also explains why the Biden administration signaled that they'd be okay if Putin tried a "just the tip" invasion (as Ben Shapiro colorfully denounced it).
Biden said something like that but the administration quickly corrected him and put out statements that they are not going to accept any kind of incursion.

Bill Whittle and his crew discussed another key point in favor of this theory yesterday, that appeals to logistics: namely, according to their contacts, Putin hasn't set up a proper logistic train for even trying to overrun the country, much less occupy it.
If you have over 100.000 troops and a large number of tanks and other heavy weapons on 'training exercises' you also have some logistics working.

Keep an eye on the weather.  Even modern tanks & equipment don't function well in Russian and Ukrainian mud.
Computer Gaming / Re: Distant Worlds 2 Formal Announcement
« Last post by Anguille on Yesterday at 08:44:33 AM »
Thanks for your comments Jar  :bd:
« Last post by JasonPratt on Yesterday at 08:35:04 AM »
Regarding the main topic: listening to some other military geeks talk about it, too, including one guy who used to do work for the DoD in analysis of Russian military intel, I'm leaning toward the "sphere of influence" theory. I.e., Putin doesn't want to occupy Ukraine or even fight them that much. He just wants to take advantage of weakness in the west to shift the Ukraine (by small but decisive occupational action and threats) into being in Russia's sphere of influence rather than NATO's.

This theory overlaps with the theory upthread that Putin wants to keep NATO from using the Ukraine as a Fortified Sector, so to speak (in Soviet pre-WW2 parlance), for staging invasion. In this scenario, Putin uses the Ukraine as a FS for denying an invasion route a la the Iron Curtain Warsaw Pact principle.

Of course, in Soviet doctrine (paraphrasing from memory here, quoting one of the Soviet FS commanders), "only the naive regard [Soviet] Fortified Sectors as being primarily for defense"! Putin could also be thinking of using the Ukraine as a military district for springboarding his own invasions elsewhere, most likely to somewhere no one cares enough about to go to war.

Anyway, this theory also explains why the Biden administration signaled that they'd be okay if Putin tried a "just the tip" invasion (as Ben Shapiro colorfully denounced it). The Ukraine allies itself with Russia consequently, while maintaining its own administrative government under Russian oversight, and we bulk up on other border areas consequently. Yay, everyone wins! -- except the Ukrainians, more or less, but they don't lose nearly as badly.

Bill Whittle and his crew discussed another key point in favor of this theory yesterday, that appeals to logistics: namely, according to their contacts, Putin hasn't set up a proper logistic train for even trying to overrun the country, much less occupy it.

Does this jibe with information y'all are getting from other sources?

Update: bonus geek points for Steve Green's coffee mug...!  8)
« Last post by JasonPratt on Yesterday at 08:22:50 AM »
Sorry for your troubles, SirAndrew.  :'( I'm glad to hear you'll still be friends and doing much the same things, but, sigh.

Re Jeremy Irons: oh, yeah, that movie sounds good! I could easily imagine Jeremy Irons playing Chamberlain! And now the internet should give me Irons-asChamberlain singing the Nazi-ish song "BE PREPAAAARRED!" from The Lion King (where he played Scar.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10