Ultimate General: American Revolution

Started by al_infierno, November 16, 2020, 04:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on November 15, 2023, 09:10:05 AMOooh playble Brits...

I think if I didn't have anything else to play this would be bought already

It looks lovely and I'm sure it will get better with every update

I look forward to pummelling the un grateful colonials with ranks of fire from the red coats

I'll keep watching for now

SirAndrewD

I pretty much echo Jarheads impressions.  Battles area bit fast and the AI a bit zergrushy.  It can put itself into some bad situations.

It's clearly EA but it's very fun to play just like the other UG/UA early access titles. 

I really hope they continue to develop this and possibly add 1812 and French and Indian wars.  This system with a bit slowing down could also make for some great Napoleonics.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I would be shocked if Napoleonics were not further along in the plans in say 3-4 years.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 14, 2023, 09:33:00 AMIts been released.  Be aware, you will not be able to get a steam key in the future, you'll need to repurchase it.  If you want steam, might want to wait.

That just does not make sense...

Will wait for the Steam version.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on November 15, 2023, 01:08:37 PMI would be shocked if Napoleonics were not further along in the plans in say 3-4 years.

No doubt. 

Were I Gamelabs I'd develop this title forward not backwards.  Use the America/Canada map and start to develop a few Napoleonic units for 1812 and then, pipe dream maybe add the Mexican-American War to further refine that.

If you go that route you're actively developing for Napoleonic will still getting DLC content for your title.

What do I know though, I just help run a multi million dollar business.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

:Dreamer: Mexican American War, Crimean War, Schleswig-Holstein War, Franco Prussian War...I'm starting to feel like Bubba Gump  :Party:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on November 15, 2023, 01:53:06 PM:Dreamer: Mexican American War, Crimean War, Schleswig-Holstein War, Franco Prussian War...I'm starting to feel like Bubba Gump  :Party:

Yeah, what you have here is a system that's better than Total War for 18th/19th Century warfare.  It's just early in its life and will need work.

The engine though, and the AI, are light years ahead of doing this type of warfare than Empire TW was. 

All they need to do is take this title and refine it and develop that North America map further.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 15, 2023, 02:02:59 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 15, 2023, 01:53:06 PM:Dreamer: Mexican American War, Crimean War, Schleswig-Holstein War, Franco Prussian War...I'm starting to feel like Bubba Gump  :Party:

Yeah, what you have here is a system that's better than Total War for 18th/19th Century warfare.  It's just early in its life and will need work.

The engine though, and the AI, are light years ahead of doing this type of warfare than Empire TW was. 

All they need to do is take this title and refine it and develop that North America map further.

Very encouraging to hear!

Quote from: Gusington on November 15, 2023, 02:03:52 PMStop teasing me  :TimeOut:

Seriously.  If I wasn't on such a tight budget I would have bought this immediately despite being in a sort of early access.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Destraex

Right now I would like to know how detailed supply lines are? One thing total war always completely missed was how context and supply affected generals decisions to advance or retreat. Can the area support a large army or must it march in two columns of march for instance.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Destraex on November 16, 2023, 05:00:06 PMRight now I would like to know how detailed supply lines are? One thing total war always completely missed was how context and supply affected generals decisions to advance or retreat. Can the area support a large army or must it march in two columns of march for instance.

It's pretty simple but I think it works for what the game is trying to achieve.  Units stay in supply as long as they can trace a supply line back to its supply hubs.  Supply travels from the hubs, which are capitals, ports ect, and then via villages to the army.

Take a town along the line and it can disconnect the other towns further from the hub. 

You can specify units to be on less or even no supply so you can prioritize other units. 

You can also set the army to forage or loot, drawing supply from the civilians at a cost of public support.

Units need to rest on the command map so they can draw supply and recover exhaustion or you can send a unit into battle exhausted and with low ammo.

Armies always march in multiple parts so each brigade is drawing supply individually.  Have a lot of brigades in one point and there seems to be only so much supply to go around.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on November 16, 2023, 05:00:06 PMRight now I would like to know how detailed supply lines are? One thing total war always completely missed was how context and supply affected generals decisions to advance or retreat. Can the area support a large army or must it march in two columns of march for instance.

Just some additional information from the published info on supply and supply lines.....also good video.

Three base supply items are needed for each unit: weapons, ammunition and food. Weapons and ammunition are provided by weapon factories. Weapons are received when a new unit is created and later these weapons can be replaced by better ones, according to availability. Ammunition consists of gunpowder, bullets and balls which are spent in battle and must be replenished for maintaining your army in a minimum fighting condition. It is also necessary to constantly supply your army with food, otherwise non-combat losses will grow and the morale of the soldiers will drop. The army can forage a territory for food but, in this case, the welfare of the region and the loyalty of population will deteriorate.

Moving food and ammunition requires supply wagons, supply ships, and well-developed infrastructure. If the region is cut off from the supply line, then the army in the region can consume only its own supplies and rely on what lies in the region's warehouse or is produced by the region. The enemy can intercept convoys and, in this case, part of the supply will be captured by the enemy. Therefore, It is absolutely necessary to secure your supply lines and avoid letting your army be cut off from supply centers.

Grim.Reaper

One thing I am not a huge fan is the startup of the campaign.  Although I am fine with the concept of generating your startup character based on how you answer questions, don't like how you have to go through a cut scene for each question.  Just put all the questions on one screen to make the process fast, doing these every time for new campaign will be tiresome.

Gusington

^I remember feeling similarly about some of the opening screens for Age of Sail.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd