The Return – A Distant Worlds: Universe AAR

Started by OJsDad, May 31, 2014, 07:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Part I

My name is Richard Doll.  Today is my 21st birthday.  My day of accession.  I wasn't supposed to inherit the throne.  That was my brothers birth right.  And it would have been, except for that day eleven years ago. 

We had known we were not from this planet, Trendillu Major 3.  Our histories show that we were part of a great interstellar empire, though we were not the only race or star nation in the galaxy.  While there had been wars between some of those other races, we had learned to live a coexistence.  Some of us were genuine friends and openly traded and traveled within borders of each other. 

Then they came.  The Shakturi.  They came from outside of our galaxy, claiming to be fleeing a great evil in their home galaxy.  It was a couple of years after they arrived, that the more aggressive races that were native to our galaxy, started to attack their peaceful neighbors.  For centuries they had been forced to curb their aggressiveness.  While the other races were peaceful, it did not make them easy prey either.   

All of the races started their expansions about the same time.  The more peaceful and freedom orientated races tended to come together.  There were some minor wars or isolated incidents between them, but they never amounted to much or for very long.  Together they built a space station in a star system that held no planets.  Here the races were able to resolve any issues peacefully.  This body had no authority over any of the member races.  It was solely there for diplomatic purposes.  The strongest action it could take was the awarding of colonies to the member races. 

But, not all of the races were peaceful and believed in freedom.  Others were aggressive, war hungry.  Their governments were totalitarian.  They would have had more success in conquering territory, except that by their very nature, they were not able to cooperate with each other.  They were just as willing to fight each other than what eventually became known as the Alliance.

That is, until the Shakturi arrived.  We're not sure how they managed it, but they were able to get the aggressive races to...cooperate.  They almost never worked together in the conquest of a system.  But they had no problem coordinating attacks against different systems.   These races and their Shakturi overlords were to be known as the Axis. 

The surprise the attacks and the shrinking of the Allies military budgets allowed for early success of the Axis.  But the larger economies and advanced technologies allowed the Allies to regain their footing.  These advantages didn't last long.  The result was, after 23 years of warfare, and stalemate.   Both sides were nearly evenly matched, though in a very warn out state.

That's when the Shakturi actively entered the war.  Before that, they had not shown a military force of their own.  Instead, they have stayed behind the scenes, making sure that the members of the Axis stayed focused on whom the enemy was.  They are also the reason the Axis closed the economic and technology gap so quickly.  Though they had saved the best technology for themselves. 

Their attacks were at first directed solely against the Allies.  But they quickly started to engage members of the Axis.  All hope seemed to be lost, when the Allies released a secret weapon.   It was a genetic virus that would kill any Shakturi that came in contact with it.  A Shakturi infected with the virus would not show any symptoms until seven to ten days later.  But during that time, they were contagious.  The Allies had also secretly bred Kaltors.  These were used to deliver the virus to the Shakturi worlds. 

But the Shakturi had one last surprise of their own.  They had developed a ship that was capable of destroying planets.  Before the virus could spread to all of their fleets, they launched this last weapon of terror.  The last few developed worlds were destroyed before the Shakturi fleet crews succumbed to the virus.  All that were left were some scattered colony worlds like Trendillu Major 3.

We numbered less than 300,000.  Most of the knowledge that was needed to begin rebuilding our lost civilization was not to be found on our planet.  Even if it was, we could not be sure that the Shakturi did not have ships that could destroy us.  So, it was decided that we should not return to space.  That we would make ourselves small, unnoticed. 

That was 1500 years ago.  Until eleven years prior, it had worked.  I was with my classmates on a school trip to the other side of the planet when the Black Mining pirates appeared.  They had to of been watching us for a while before striking.  Before we knew they were there, they had destroyed much of Celina, the capital.  In that strike, they killed most of the government, including father, mother, Linus, my older brother, and Ruth, my little sister. 

The Black Mining pirates told us that if we did not wish to suffer further attacks, we would pay them a yearly tribute.  More specifically, they told me.  I had little choice but to acquiesce to their demands. 

That was eleven years ago.  Today, my accession day, we prepare to end our enslavement to them.   
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Grim.Reaper

Very nice ....will be monitoring...don't make me buy another game:)

undercovergeek

steve58

ditto

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Kushan

Good intro, looking forward to more.

Quote from: OJsDad on May 31, 2014, 07:22:18 PM
Together they built a space station in a star system that held no planets.  Here the races were able to resolve any issues peacefully.

Someones been watching Babylon 5.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

OJsDad

Quote from: Kushan on May 31, 2014, 08:05:53 PM
Good intro, looking forward to more.

Quote from: OJsDad on May 31, 2014, 07:22:18 PM
Together they built a space station in a star system that held no planets.  Here the races were able to resolve any issues peacefully.

Someones been watching Babylon 5.

Not lately.  But it was a great show.  I didn't have cable when it was on, but mom would record it for me and I would watch two or three episodes in a row.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Anguille

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Yskonyn

I'm taking a seat to watch the show as well. And I'll order a Scottish Whiskey.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

OJsDad

Part II

"We're being told that Prime Minister Russell will be taking the speaker's podium in a few moments.  Yes, there he is now."

The scene on the display changed from the news anchor to a moderately tall, young man stepped up to the podium that stood at the front of the House of Commons.  He looked young for his office, no more than thirty.  In reality he was ninety-eight.  Looking at his rich black hair, brown eyes you never have known his real age.  Under the robes of his office was a slim muscular body.  He had been an avid athlete in school.  His discipline to maintain his build was developed while an officer in the Imperial Marines.  He ran five kilometers every morning, and spent at an hour in the gym every night.  When asked why he was so devoted to his workout routine, he would quip that if he had any hope of keeping up with the needs and happiness of three wives, he had to stay in top physical form.

"Ladies, Gentlemen, and Lords of the Realm.  It is not just my professional pleasure, but also my personal please, to present his Imperial Majesty, Richard the Fourth." 

A thunderous roar of shouts and applause erupted from the speakers of the monitors and radios all around Trendillu Major 3 as a five foot eleven inch, brown haired and blue eye twenty-one year old man stepped up to the podium.  The camera panned out to take in the entire 1241 members of the House of Commons and the 508 members of the House of Lords.  Crown Loyalists, Libertarians, Labor party members were all on their feet wildly cheering and applauding.  Indeed, it seemed that the members of each party were trying to out cheer each other. 

The handful of People and Isolation party members were on their feet politely applauding, though they were not cheering.  A few of them looking like they wished they were anywhere but here at this moment in time for it was no secret what the new emperor was going to ask for.  Nor was it any secret that the vast majority of the two houses would be more than happy to give it to him. 

After a full three minutes and forty seconds of applause, Richard raised his hands, palms down, and waved in a down motion asking those present to be seated.  It took another thirty-eight seconds for everyone to find their seats and for Richard to begin his speech.

"Ladies, Gentlemen, and My Lords.  I cannot put into words how truly humbled I am by the reception you have given me.  I pray that at the sunset of my reign that you will find the desire to welcome me to speak to this august body."

"It has been the tradition of Parliament to invite a newly crowned Emperor or Empress to speak.  To formally layout their vision of the future.  What dreams and goals they hope to accomplish during their reign.   Never in the past has the crown come before you one day after their twenty-first birthday.  One day after their regency council was dissolved because of that same twenty-first birthday."

"It is no secret why I wanted to come to you today.  My regency council and I, along with this esteemed body, have been working towards this day since the murder of not only my family, but that of over one million of our fellow citizens."

"But, before I get to that reason, there is a second reason I have come to you today"  That simple statement brought a low whisper among those sitting in attendance.  Everyone in the empire knew why the emperor had wanted to speak so quickly to a combined session of parliament.  But only two people in all of the universe knew what that second reason was.

"The second reason I have an urgent reason to speak to Parliament today, is that I have finally worked up the courage to ask Miss Rosemary Ellis not to become not only mine, but this Empires Empress."  That brought an instantaneous thunderous applause as everyone turned and looked up at the black blond blue eyed twenty-three year old woman sitting in the visitor's gallery. 

No one would ever call her beautiful, nor would they call her ugly.  Plain would be the one word that would forever describe her.  Not that she really cared what anyone else thought of her.  If she cared about what others thought, she would be worried about the millions of young single (and some older married ones) that, for the life of them, could not figure out why the emperor would choose her.

To find the answer to that question, one would have to go back to when they were seven years old.  The empress had taken the children to the family ranch.  A new ranch manager, Mr. Ellis, and his family had moved in since the last family visit.  At that time, young prince Richard had a penchant pranks.  His first target on that trip was the ranch managers oldest child Rosemary.  Unfortunately for Richard, she didn't appreciate his sense of humor.  In fact, she sent him running with a bloody nose.  Mr. Ellis thought for sure that he would be looking for a new job. 

However, the empress knew all about her son's sense of humor and had a much better idea, and made sure that Richard and Rosemary spent as much time a possible together not only on that visit, and not only on subsequent trips to the ranch, but whenever the empress could arrange for Rosemary to come visit.  It was shortly after Richard no longer had to explain why Rosemary had put a whooping on him that the pranks ended. 

Richard and Rosemary's relationship did not end with his pranks.  It evolved over in a short amount of time into a true friendship.  And never was that friendship stronger than when Richards family was murdered.  After the attack, he had been taken to a secure and secret base.  But he refused to allow anyone into his room or to eat for two days.  That's when it was decided to bring Rosemary in.  Within three hours of her arrival, she had gotten him to eat and leave his room.  From that point on, she was his most trusted of advisors, even though she was not a member of the regency council. 

undercovergeek

OJsDad

First two posts at almost 2000 words, and I haven't played a month of game time yet 

undercovergeek

Quote from: OJsDad on June 02, 2014, 07:19:56 PM
First two posts at almost 2000 words, and I haven't played a month of game time yet

the one bad thing about AARs is not playing the game because youre writing about playing the game