The Return – A Distant Worlds: Universe AAR

Started by OJsDad, May 31, 2014, 07:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

I'm embarrassed to ask, but was Malthur mentioned in the AAR earlier?  And if so, what is its significance?  (Otherwise, I presume we'll find out soon enough... ;) ) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Quote from: Martok on September 09, 2014, 02:33:20 PM
I'm embarrassed to ask, but was Malthur mentioned in the AAR earlier?  And if so, what is its significance?  (Otherwise, I presume we'll find out soon enough... ;) )

No I had not.   8)
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Part IX

"Malthur!" Lord Griggs shouted in surprise.  "Rodney, you've got to be kidding.  We've discussed this many times.  They're much to far out for us to protect."

"Yes my lord, but as I've just pointed out, we believe that the reasons I just outlined change all of that." The First Space Lord replied calmly.

All sat in silence for what seemed like an hour, thinking about what had already been discussed with the Navy's new capabilities and how they could play into bringing Malthur into the Empire.  Finally the Emperor spoke up "OK Rodney, let's hear the overview of this Operation Longbow of yours."

"Yes your Majesty.  The first two things that will need to happen is that Fifth Fleet will need to come home and embark Marines.  While that is happening, WeapsCom should be able to complete the Ion Cannons.  Once those are complete, we'll assemble our first two resupply squadrons."

"Upon completion, they'll depart for the gas cloud that sits in the junction of sectors G4, G5, H4, and H5.  The ships of Fifth Fleet use hydrogen, not calson for their reactors.  So, we'll need one squadron mining hydrogen for Fifth Fleet and one mining calson to keep the supply  squadron fueled and on station."

"Once the supply scquadrons are on station, Fifth Fleet will depart for Malthur, with a refuel stop on the way.  Fifth Fleet is strong enough to take on anything of anyone, that we know of, can throw at them.  As soon as Malthur is part of the Empire, we'll construct two fortresses first.  Those will greatly enhance the systems defenses.  The two fortresses will then be followed by a large space station."

The Treasury Minister was not happy to hear that, but remained silent.

"Once we have strong base to operate of Malthur, we'll be moving most of our Exploration flotillas and Construction task groups.  We'll also begin assembling Sixth Fleet, which will relieve Fifth Fleet protecting Malthur.  Fifth Fleet will then move the Moctraj system and try to clear out the Kaltors that are then so we can get a good look at the ships that are there.  And we'll start sending out the Exploration flotillas to start finding out what else is out there."

After a few seconds, Sir Welch spoke up "This is all going to be quite costly Rodney.  I'm not sure we can afford it."

"We believe that the younger colonies are well established, growing nicely, and will start making positive financial contributions to the Empire's treasury while the pieces of Operation Longbow start to come together.  On top of that, we believe we really cannot afford not to bring Malthur into the Empire and expand that direction." The First Space Lord replied.

After several more seconds of silence, all eyes turned toward the Emperor.  Finally, he spoke, making sure he made eye contact with all.  "There are more than seven billion humans on Malthur.  They do not have the ability to protect themselves.  When I led our people back into space, I promised to protect those who could not.  I also believe that it is critical to our own survival that we know what is in the parts of the galaxy we cannot reach now.  Therefore, First Space Lord, I hereby authorize you to activate Operation Longbow."
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Martok

Yikes.  Malthur is indeed a long ways away.  I normally don't expand anywhere near that far beyond my usual "borders"! 

So are you going for Malthur more for the RP aspect of protecting humanity?  Or because there's 7 billion of them (which also: holy crap!)? 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

OJsDad

I don't normally expand that far away either, so yes, a little bit of RP there.

FYI, during game setup, I chose not to be able to colonize anything beyond 2 sectors.  Therefore, the only way I could get it was to invade.  Therefore, the way I get Malthur in the AAR is different with the way it has to be done in game.

OJsDad

Sorry for the long delay, but work and family life kept from playing for awhile.

Here is an update on where things stand.

Malthur joined the Empire and is doing well.  It is still the only planet in that area that we controll.

We salvaged ships from two different debris fields and used them to beef up 5th fleet and form 6th fleet.

The Sluken Hive, a race of Sluken's, tried to blockade Malthur.  Imperial Intelligence is not sure why they tried this.  Their nearest planet in the Sol system was almost two full sectors away.  A second Sluken Hive Strike Fleet was spotted moving toward Malthur, so 4th and 5th Fleets broke the blockade.  It cost a Fortress and a few of 4th fleets ships, but the second Sluken fleet turned back and the first one was destroyed.  After a few months, we offered peace and they accepted.  Many want to pursue the war, but with the only base to support the war being Malthur, it would have been a long and difficult war.

The navy did take out a pirate base in the sector to the NE of Malthur.  Ships in 4th Fleet are still being repaired and a few will need to be replaced. While this is being done the Imperial Security Council is evaluating future targets.

The Imperial Marines have been assisting local authorities in eradicating pirate activities in the Roman Cluster.  It's long slow work, but should help the economy.  There are about 16 planets that still need cleaned up.  But it's a task the Marines are looking forward to.

We probably need to look at boosting research some. 

Still no signs of the Shakturi.  But I still feel that are out there somewhere, waiting.

Martok

Good to see an update on this. 

Interesting/odd the Sluken moved against Malthur.  It's hard to fathom how doing so would further their strategic interests.  I almost wonder if someone put them up to it. 

JasonPratt

I'm glad the invasion worked! I've been catching up on Horus Heresy novels recently, and my impression is that such things can't really end well.  ;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!