Rise of the Rodents - Distant Worlds Universe AAR (reboot)

Started by Yskonyn, June 02, 2014, 05:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Part 1 - Rise of the Rodents

The Nibblesnarf Trading Corp, led by the protectionist Nibblesnarf I, is about to claim their spot among 12 other nations in a galaxy of 700 stars!

Introducing Nibblesnarf the First:

Not only is our great leader of the protectionistic mindset, he is also deemed courageous! Yet, the term courage has several meanings. Nibblesnarf leads his people in the form of a Mercantile Guild where courage is measured in how big your bank account is.
Weapons are for the brainless, whereas taking away that multi-million credits deal takes some real guts and brains.

His vision, therefore, is to rule the galaxy by means of cash. Pay people to do your bidding, instead of pointing a gun.

The little rock we call home is not very remarkable:

Yet, the sector our little rock is part of, is much more interesting...

But first things first, let's take a look at making sure our scientists are helping further our plans;
Weapons research...

Of course our weapons research should not be neglected, eventhough our main focus will lie with conquering markets.
I find the Railgun to be a safe bet. Especially in the early game with its Shield bypass property.

Energy and Construction research...

I find it sensible to focus on getting faster and more efficient engines as early as possible. This way we can outrun anything that is chasing us and at the same time our reach to engage in trade with significantly improve. Hopefully staying ahead of other nations in our direct vicinity.

HiTech research...

If we end up having the fastest engines quicker than our opponents, they won't be of any use if we cannot use them to transport the stuff we want to make money with. Logical choice here; transport systems and cargo holds.

In the mean time we get an interesting addition to our team of scientists:

Mr. Matado sports the Ultra Genius trait! Nibblesnarf really has some great contacts!

It is time to start up our glorious Corporation! Nibblesnarf orders the construction of the very first Orbital Space Port bearing the flag of our glorious Corp! But before construction commences, Mr. Matado recommends to increase the research potential on this port.
"Sir, if we can spare the cash now, it will pay its divident rather quickly!"
Music to Nibblesnarf's ears! Perhaps this Matado is quite the genius indeed!

Three more Research modules have been added to push the output to 120k for each avenue of science. Splendid!

After having constructed the Space Port there is a great ceremony to celebrate the dawn of a new era! Shortly afterwards the first 2 exploration ships set off into the great purple unkown.

A few days have passed when there is exciting news coming in from one of the explorers!

It turns out the planet we have called home for so long is residing in a system with lots of moons with abundant construction minerals!

What will the next steps be for our Rodents? Stay tuned!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

Part 2 - Settling in

Production is going well and funds have been cleared to commision the first ships that will make it into our System Defense fleet. Armed with Railguns and Missiles, the Destroyers will prowl our system to defend what is rightfully ours!
We have not been contacted by any pirate scum that is known to be around. So far all our hard earned cash has been diverted to expanding and strengthen our base of operations in the sector.

Nibblesnarf was just zipping from his glass of Vodkol -of which he was worried that supplies would run out quickly at the rate he was having them glasses lately- when the buzzer on his desk went off.

"Yes?", he replied dryly.
"My Liege! The comms center has received word of a magnicifent find by the crew of one of our exploration ships yet again! It is a Golden time for the Ugnari!"
-"Hmpf.. the Ugnari you say. We do all the work as Nibblesnarf Trading Corp, while most of our kin lies fat on their arses down below."

Not sure wether he had angered his master, the officer stumbled over his words.

"Err, yes.. yes o- of course, my Liege! NTC is the spearhead of Ugnari greatness!"
-"Yes, yes, spare me your arse-kissery, officer, that will only result in more funds being spent on toiletpaper. What is the news?"

"They have discovered the Exalted Library on the moon Doatrixe and they are asking wether you want them to investigate. Here, I have the transmission ready for you, sir."

Nibblesnarf had never heard of hostile ruins, especially not in the sector and he was getting a little irritated that they hadn't already investigated and made the operation efficient, instead of wasting precious credits like this.

"Of course! They should investigate!"

It took only a short while for the Exploration crew to relay their findings.

It seemed like a glorious day indeed!
Not only did this finding enable our scientists to start research on a Warp engine so we can venture beyond our system and truely start galaxy domination by means of cash! The Library also meant it would be a popular place live, boosting colony growth.
However, that latter fact was useless, as the moon was uninhabitable to the Ugnari.

Yet this wasn't the brightest news of the day!
A few hours later Nibblesnarf was truely a happy rodent!

He could keep on drinking as much he would like. Eureka! A new source of Vodkol was found!

All that while the factories were churning out ships like there was no tomorrow and a System Defense fleet was a reality not long after.
The fleet even got a nice boost due to finding an abandoned powerful ship floating around in the system.

Now that we have a rudimentary defense in place. Resources are coming in via our Civil sector and Research is going well, we can start to look beyond the borders of our system and look what perils and oppertunities the greater Galaxy hold for the Nibblesnarf Trading Corporation!

Until next time!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Opps, too many warp field precursor screenies...  :))
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

Heh.. Weird. That wasn't the case this afternoon!
Who hacked my account?!

Will fix tomorrow[emoji2]

[ fixed ]

-oOo-

Yskonyn

Well guys..
I have so little time to play games, let alone make an AAR. So I am closing this. :-\
Just want to play.  :knuppel2:

Martok

I fully sympathize Yskonyn.  I'll miss following this, but I know where you're coming from.  Now go play! 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Yskonyn

Yeah, perhaps I'll see the day again to have enough time and energy to do an AAR.
I like the idea, but its a lot of work. ;)

undercovergeek

An aar is a bigger commitment than you realise - it was a good read, enjoy the gaming