The Balloon Goes Up - A Civ4 World War I AAR

Started by bbmike, June 28, 2014, 09:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

The Balloon Goes Up - A Civilization 4 World War I Scenario AAR

I've decided to do this AAR in honor of the 100th anniversary of World War I. I will be using Jon Shafer's WWI scenario for vanilla Civilization 4. I know there are games out there solely dedicated to WWI but I wanted to play something fairly simple and quick while still capturing the feeling of the war. Even so, it still may take me as long as the actual war lasted but I will finish. It's been a long while since I've played Civ4 so I think that gives the AI an advantage. I will play as the United Kingdom.

I wanted to post this today, June 28, 2014 - 100 years after the day that changed the world.
More coming soon!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

W8taminute

Awesome!  There are some really great mods and scenarios for the civilization series.  This sounds like fun and I look forward to seeing what happens.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Martok

Awesome!  Am definitely following this one.  8) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Part 1

On August 4, 1914 at 11:00pm, The United Kingdom declared war on Germany. The Germans had marched into Belgium and refused an ultimatum issued earlier in the day to leave. Britain could not allow the Germans to continue. In Trafalgar Square people were celebrating the news. But in the halls and offices of the government buildings the mood was less celebratory. War had been declared and there was much planning to do.

News of war meant that industry must be ramped up quickly. In the cities, coal plants would need to be built to support the war effort. And an army would have to be recruited.

United Kingdom production in early 1914 - not prepared for war

United Kingdom military in early 1914

It was decided that the British Expeditionary Force would be sent from London to France, landing in or near the French city of Calais, and from there march on toward Brussels and push back the German forces. The British had five dreadnoughts and five destroyers in the Channel along with part of the French navy to support the effort and protect her transports.

In Egypt, the plan wasn't so clear. There was a small British force present and naval support, but the Ottomans were just to the east. Should the UK go on the offensive or dig in an prepare for an assault?

On the scientific front the news was a little better. Much progress was being made on making machine guns lighter and more efficient.

[Some thoughts on this AAR: I've never played this scenario so I don't really know what to expect in the way of events or gameplay. I don't see the Americans listed in the diplomacy screen so I don't know if I can expect any help from them. Also, since this is a Civilization game don't expect too much in the way of historical accuracy. And please feel free to make suggestions. I always listen to the advice of my military leaders!]
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

Question:  Do the nations start on the same technological footing in this scenario?  Just curious. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

Quote from: Martok on July 03, 2014, 09:26:26 AM
Question:  Do the nations start on the same technological footing in this scenario?  Just curious.

I believe so. In fact, I'm thinking about asking one or more of my allies to research the same thing I am in order to speed things up.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Is this scenario available through the steam workshop?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 04, 2014, 10:42:05 PM
Is this scenario available through the steam workshop?

Hmm, not sure. Are any scenarios for Civ4 available through Steam workshop?
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Apparently not. I just reinstalled and don't see workshop functionality at all.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

Part 2

Concerning industry, I didn't change too much in the way of what is being produced. Still mostly infantry but I started construction of a few coal plants. I'm kind of concerned about only having 72 turns (can I keep playing after that?) and the build times are a little long on some of the much needed supplies.

I also decided to ask my allies to research Automated Firearm Production along with me. I thought it would speed up the time needed to research but I didn't notice any change even after everyone agreed to help.

In Egypt, forces were sent from Alexandria and Cairo towards Gaza. I'm not sure if it's a good move. I don't know what lies to the east in the way of enemy troops. I also send my dreadnoughts and destroyers out to sea.

Close to home, German U-boats are already causing problems. One of my oil rigs (were there oil platforms in 1914??) near Dundee is destroyed. I'll have to send my ships after it and any other U-boats that might be lurking around.

Back in Egypt I've spotted a lone Ottoman unit headed towards Cairo. I'm not sure if it's just a scout or part of a larger force. Either way it won't last long!

The battle is over quickly and the Ottoman infantry is destroyed. My destroyers get close enough to Gaza to see that there are two more infantry garrisoned in the city. I'm thinking I should regroup my units and try to take Gaza. Again, I have no idea how many or what kind of units the Ottomans may have so I don't know what to expect.

And back to the north we go where my navy has located that pesky U-boat heading southward. It is quickly sent to the bottom and the hunt for more U-boats continues.

And finally our forces in France receive news that Brussels has fallen. The Germans have a sizable force there and are now marching towards Reims. Again I'm faced with a tough decision. I will move my troops south to Reims but should I move them all? The Germans could be so bold as to try to take Calais (this is Civ4 after all! :P) and right now Calais only has one unit to protect it. I think in this case it would be best to send everything I have right now on the continent to Reims. I can always send more infantry from England to Calais with my transports.

[I can already see that I'm going to miss trench warfare in this scenario. :(]
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 22, 2014, 08:16:03 AM

What's with your colliding warships up there?  :D

;D I don't know! When I saw it all I could think of was that movie The Philadelphia Experiment!
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak