Saddest death in gaming

Started by CosPetia, July 24, 2014, 07:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CosPetia

Hi guys,

I would like to ask you about the saddest death in gaming. Which one is yours? After a serious consideration I think that mine is Elias in Call of Duty Chosts.

Capn Darwin

Losing your first high ranking X-Com soldier.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

CosPetia

tgb

For those old enough to remember - Floyd in Planetfall

W8taminute

Quote from: CosPetia on July 24, 2014, 07:47:24 AM
Hi guys,

I would like to ask you about the saddest death in gaming. Which one is yours? After a serious consideration I think that mine is Elias in Call of Duty Chosts.

+1.  That was a particularly sad scene.   
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

I can be pretty torqued about whenever my main character gets killed...  >:D

For a more serious answer, I'm not going to lie, I was pretty upset when Aerith Gainsborough died in Final Fantasy 7 (spoiler for one of the most famous games of all time). Though that was at least half because I had spent some serious grinding time leveling and blinging her up to be competent in a fight.  :buck2:

Still, it's worth noting that out of all the characters who have died in game stories over my many years in gaming (since the late 70s), she's the one I immediately think of when the question gets asked.

That being said, a particular character death in Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War saddened me a lot more, with no merely pragmatic resentment about having worked so hard on getting that character up to speed. I don't want to spoil that though -- anyone who has played AC5 should know who I mean.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

CosPetia

Quote from: tgb on July 24, 2014, 08:48:50 AM

+1 That was really sad.

Sir Slash

Razel Puzzelwell in Planescape Torment. For the first half of the game your sure she's the bad guy in the story but when you catch-up to her, you find what she did was because she was in love with the main character and had been waiting for him to return to her. Unfortunately, when you try to leave her, she turns on you and you have to slay her to continue. At least that's the way it played out when I played the game. That part disturbed me for some time afterward. Many other parts of the game were also very sad including the ending which was probably the most tragic part of all.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Cyrano

The hero's father in the first Suikoden.  Magnificent piece of storytelling.

And, following Brant's lead, Donald Featherstone.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Sir Slash

I would have to add, Sgt. Houston 1st. Platoon, E Company, 2/16 Bn. The Big Red One Div. who in CMFI's Troina Campaign, battle 3, "Hill 1073" lead E Company's advance all the way to the top of Hill 1073 only to get shot in the face when spotting for enemy while the rest of the squad was hiding. Oddly enough he had just told the men of 2nd Squad to "Keep your eyes open" and apparently had his closed and missed the German MG in a trench 50 meters away. In lieu of flowers, the men of E Company ask that you send one good tank instead. RIP Sgt.Houston :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Skoop

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 24, 2014, 10:29:41 AM
I would have to add, Sgt. Houston 1st. Platoon, E Company, 2/16 Bn. The Big Red One Div. who in CMFI's Troina Campaign, battle 3, "Hill 1073" lead E Company's advance all the way to the top of Hill 1073 only to get shot in the face when spotting for enemy while the rest of the squad was hiding. Oddly enough he had just told the men of 2nd Squad to "Keep your eyes open" and apparently had his closed and missed the German MG in a trench 50 meters away. In lieu of flowers, the men of E Company ask that you send one good tank instead. RIP Sgt.Houston :'(

Nice, I've always thought that BF should explore some mild rpg elements to CM.  I've had some pretty amazing exploits go down by my pixel truppen that would have been nice to have an interim screen to give medals or something and have a bio of actions participated in.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Con

I remember Floyd....and also what a dam hard brain twister red herring maze filled game Planetfall was.  Make me want to fire it up on the iPad

Con

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Con on July 24, 2014, 03:18:34 PM

I remember Floyd....and also what a dam hard brain twister red herring maze filled game Planetfall was.  Make me want to fire it up on the iPad

Con

I've got it on mine too, part of an Infocom collection. Fun but maddening stuff.