Saddest death in gaming

Started by CosPetia, July 24, 2014, 07:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 26, 2014, 10:50:37 AM
Mysteries of Westgate is a user-made mod for NWN2. Designed for lower level characters so no Demon Lords or Dragons. Pretty good so far that I've played. In Baldurs Gate 2, Minsc had some new lines that were pretty good as I remember along with a new ability to search or go stealth I think. I loved the little Elf Mage/Cleric as she could cast every spell in the game. There's a BG2 version of NWN2 in the works but I haven't heard anything about it in awhile.

Do you mean BG2 redone in the NWN2 engine?  That would be worth watching out for.  They just did an enhanced edition of BG2. I haven't played it but did buy and play the BG1 enhanced edition.

Sir Slash

Yes. It was BG2 using the NWN2 engine. I last saw it on the RPG.com site I think.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 24, 2014, 09:35:34 AM
Razel Puzzelwell in Planescape Torment. For the first half of the game your sure she's the bad guy in the story but when you catch-up to her, you find what she did was because she was in love with the main character and had been waiting for him to return to her. Unfortunately, when you try to leave her, she turns on you and you have to slay her to continue. At least that's the way it played out when I played the game. That part disturbed me for some time afterward. Many other parts of the game were also very sad including the ending which was probably the most tragic part of all.

+1 to that, indeed.

Just one detail, Mysteries of Westgate was official, paid DLC

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_2:_Mysteries_of_Westgate

Sir Slash

You are right of course Bletchley. My error. I thought I remembered it being originally a mod posted on the Neverwinter Nights site. I'm still enjoying it a lot but there are an awful lot of cramped indoor locations and if you remember the whole camera-fighting UI problems... they're still there.

Boggit

I'll add Tony Bath to the mix. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bath

I met him (when I was in my early twenties) IIRC in 1984/5 in Southampton. A very nice guy, full of enthusiasm for the hobby. He was closely connected with WRG, Miniature Figurines, wargame rules design.

Actually, all these deaths are very sad. I don't think you can really rank any one persons as the saddest. Let us remember them, and honour their contributions to our hobby. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JudgeDredd

ok...I'm confused. Ithought this thread was about gaming. characters...hence Rabbit. are we talking real people?
Alba gu' brath

Boggit

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 29, 2014, 03:40:47 PM
ok...I'm confused. Ithought this thread was about gaming. characters...hence Rabbit. are we talking real people?
Seems to be a mix between fictional death and real. Gary Gygax, and Donald Featherstone have been mentioned already, along with a number of fictional characters from games. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Sir Slash

Razel Puzzelwell was real. She lived down the street when I was a kid in a black house. I didn't walk on her grass on the way home from school.

Yskonyn

For me it certainly was FF7's Aerith.

But more recently I was pretty shocked by Sarah's death in the starting minutes of 'The Last of Us' as well.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."