The n00b to end all wars!

Started by MetalDog, September 06, 2014, 05:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

The last battle notification for the turn is outside Uzice, which is an area in Serbia on my right flank.  Truthfully, I had no idea where Uzice was when the screen popped up, even though they show you in the bullseye at center.  This time, I can see the enemy's deployment.  He has picked strong flanks as a deployment.  I again pick strong center for deployment and massed fire as my tactic. 

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

Whilst I knew that crossing a river brought with it a severe penalty, I had no idea I would pay the price I did.  I lost almost half my forces and will need more than one turn to get back to full strength.  Meanwhile, the plan to encircle Belgrade is in serious jeopardy.  Side note: from the screenies showing the original line of march I took in planning the Serbian invasion, I believe that two corps got drawn to the sound of the guns when the main army became engaged in battle.  I did not plan for this and as a result, I am out of position.  Then again, I may be hallucinating and I planned this more poorly than I thought.  Either way, it's a bad beat.

MetalDog

This is the mess I am left with outside Belgrade.  There is a Serb Army in Belgrade and three Corps guarding their left flank.  There is a division each of Cavalry and Infantry on the Serb right flank.  The forces I have are hurt or their general failed their activation check. 

MetalDog

These are the advances I am going to make along the Russian border.  All I see on the map is a Russian Army at the east edge of the map.  I have an Army and three Corps there.

MetalDog

There is a large Russian Army on the northern edge and one at the southeast edge.  I am moving two Corps to suss out the southeast Russian Army while moving an Army and Corps out of Koenigsberg to join the Corps facing the northern Russian Army.

MetalDog

On the Western Front, everything is static except for Belgium.  I started with a lot of offensive firepower in that area and it behooves me to use it.  I don't want to extend myself too far, otherwise, I risk my defensive trenches in the center and south becoming useless.

MetalDog

There are at least four French Armies on this map along with numerous Corps.    I number almost the same in Armies and Corps.  If I can tie up French power in futile assaults, I can advance before the offensives in the East are complete.

W8taminute

Looks like you've got the West under control but have your hands full with Serbia and the Russian armies threatening Prussia.  Good stuff here MD, keep it up!   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MetalDog

I played a Munitions Decision Card for a munitions factory in Budapest.  I also put in orders for a Medium Artillery unit, an Infantry unit and a Supply Train in Budapest and environs.  I put in orders for two Infantry Divisions in Prussia.  With my moves complete, I flipped my turn.

The first battle was another French attack on Festung Metz.  Their commander is still better than mine, so, I choose my Battle Plans blindly, using Balanced Deployment for both deployment and tactic. 

And to the same result!  I had close to 400,000 men in the battle against his 135,000, nearly three time his numbers.  And it was a slaughter.  56,000 + French casualties litter the field.  A couple more results like this, and I may have no choice but to break cover and move forward.

MetalDog

Gumbinnen is next.  I had a Corps and a Division there, opposite the large Russian Army on the northern Prussian border.  It was also where I was sending my Army and Corps to reinforce.  Again my general is outclassed and I have to blindly pick my Deployment.

Looks like I did alright.  I was outnumbered, but not outclassed.  I lost the battle but took out 10,000 more troops than I lost.

MetalDog

There were several smaller battles this turn, including a victory in Africa:

And crushing the defenders of Bruxelles:

MetalDog

A costly Corps versus Army battle for the Austrians.  An unseen Russian Army was met by my lone Corps.  I lost more than a quarter of my force.  Luckily, there are reinforcements in the area.

bob48

Makes for great reading so far, MD. Good stuff indeed.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MetalDog

You gentlemen are too kind.  I am going to try to jazz it up with proper unit designations rather than just, 'Austrian Corps,' 'German Army,' etc.  We'll see how that works out.

MetalDog

Zamosc is the next site for a battle.  My commander is better than the Russian, so, I see that he selected Harrass Deployment.  I chose Balanced Deployment.  Let's go to the tape.

Another Austrian defeat.  This is getting tiring.  A moral victory, I was outnumbered 5 to 1 and inflicted twice as many casualties as I took, but, I can't sustain that.