The Vainglory of Grogheads - Pride of Nations PBEM AAR

Started by undercovergeek, September 11, 2014, 03:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 12, 2014, 08:11:21 AM
It seems the default starting point in trade for Sardinia-Piedmont is all over the place, im importing goods that im also exporting and money is slowly, not badly, but slowly leaking out

Just FYI.. I kept reading on the forums that if you want world trade to be bustling with available imports that players in the game must offer many types of commodities for trade, even if you must pass them back through like this.  I suppose this has to do with how the AI nations run their economies and their reliance on healthy quantities of player exports to produce other goods that they, in turn, will offer.

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's now the end of May, 1850 in the game.  Russia's internal economy is still doing fairly well.  Private capital was expended to add a branching rail line on the St. Petersburg-Moscow main line.  The new line will add Kiev and Smolensk to the rail network.

A new merchant fleet has been under construction in St. Petersburg for a few months and should be ready to launch by the middle of July.

State capital was spent improving the road network between Moscow and Nizhny-Novgorod in anticipation of the new machine parts factories being constructed there.

In spite of a decent economy, people are not happy with their tax burden.  A fair number have left Russia and emigrated to the US and Canada.  This despite the fact that I've lowered taxes considerably since the game started.

Still more have left the cities of western Russia in favour of living in the backwoods of Siberia.  Mad bastards.  (You can see in the message bar at the bottom of the screen that 51,000 have moved there so far this year.)

On the diplomatic front, Tuna proposed a State visit of French officials to Russia.  Not sure if he's after vodka or pole dancers.  Oh well, we accepted.  Check out his sweet hipster moustache in the upper right corner of the screen!

undercovergeek

Right, late June, the markets have stabilised themselves, i dont have a shortage of anything and im trying now to predict future needs.

Commerce shows i have successful selling markets in fish, fruit, preserved goods, cotton and wine

and that im buying in coal, wheat, cattle, wood, dyes and iron - the last 3 are to keep the factories running

As the comment feed shows, were buying in £52 a turn and selling £87 so capital is increasing all the time but the long term goal is to build our own coal mine, cattle reserve and machine parts factory - a way to go yet

We also need to expand the merchant fleet to open more trade markets to us - im in a lot of bother if the scandanavian wood industry dries up

Staggerwing

Man, it looks like you are in a world of hurt- you don't have any coffee!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 14, 2014, 09:02:35 AM
Man, it looks like you are in a world of hurt- you don't have any coffee!

there go my plans to unify Italy!!

Martok

I hope you'll forgive my question, geek, but I'm curious as to why you're working so hard to make Piedmont self-sufficient in terms of exports/imports.  I thought I recalled the game encouraged interdependence of trade/goods among nations to a certain degree. 

Is my memory playing me false here?  Or is it more that in your particular case, many of your imported goods come from countries you expect you'll be at war with in the not-too-distant future, and so you're trying to wean yourself off of them as early as possible? 

Also:  Why does Tuna not post as well?  Certainly he isn't any more shy or less bold than geek and SDR.  ;D

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

just a balance of payments thing Martok, if i can stop money leaving the country to pay for coal, wood, wheat, luxuries and cattle it allows me to spend more on improving the infrastructure of the nation and spend more on the army, plus if those imports dry up my factories stop working - for instance i buy coal from North Germany - they have 72 units to trade away but a demand of 86, sometimes i get it, sometimes i dont

MetalDog

I can answer your question about Tuna, Martok.  It's because trying to get him to remember to take screenshots to AAR is like trying to get the Cookie Monster off cookies.  It ain't going to happen.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Silent Disapproval Robot

Silent Disapproval Robot

My merchant fleet is finally complete and set up trade routes from the UK to St. Petersburg.  The Japanese are offering inducements to the savages on Sakhalin Island in an attempt to curry favour.  I responded by sending some missionaries and merchants to win over the populace and some bribes to the chiefs.

State coffers are empty again and the harsh conditions in the wilds of the east are slowly draining the strength of my units there.  I can't afford to replace all the losses. 

The Yanks are making noises about Alaska.  I may be induced to sell if the price is right.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 15, 2014, 07:42:20 PM
Yup.  Charlie don't surf and Tuna don't AAR.

That's okay, makes him a mysterious component whose effects can only be inferred from evidence.  :)

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 14, 2014, 08:19:18 AM
Right, late June, the markets have stabilised themselves, i dont have a shortage of anything and im trying now to predict future needs.

I really don't know why you're pasting url links to imageshack, UGeek. Using the {img} code by itself works fine. Also, note how I scaled back the image with the width=xxx subcommand, easily added to the initial img code. Does that look better guys?

Here it is in, um, 1024...

Right now, you've set your imagizer at the shack to 1600x1200, G; and there are ways around that manually, too, but just using the forum software here to scale the images seems to work fine.

SDR, here's one of yours at 1024:

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Yeah I only made them big because at 1200 they were too squinty

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup.  Can't read the font if you shrink it.  Lazy bastards can scroll to the right.

Staggerwing

If you resize the pic using the html code in your post then someone can click in the image and it will appear full size until they click again.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys