The Vainglory of Grogheads - Pride of Nations PBEM AAR

Started by undercovergeek, September 11, 2014, 03:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

This is starting to fall apart.  If we can't commit to at least a turn/day then I'm ready to call it quits.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 27, 2014, 02:40:09 AM
This is starting to fall apart.  If we can't commit to at least a turn/day then I'm ready to call it quits.

Sorry, sorry I'll be on it - called away again, not usually like this at this time of year

undercovergeek

Piedmont - a hive of construction and industry - currently building a manufactured goods plant and mechanical shop

Liguria - home of wine and grapes, currently constructing fruit farms to boost wine output

All the green spots are where i can build a coal mine but because its outside my national borders i think its twice the cost, so the bankers are saving up

The trade outpost in Mogadishu, currently sending opium back to the homeland

once the trade is sorted its time to start looking at the military

Silent Disapproval Robot

I running into supply problems.  I'm not sure if it's something that I'm not understanding about the game's supply system or a bug.  I have a supply depot on the Caspian sea with a supply level of 4 and it's being reliably fed supplies from Sevastapol.  I have a force comprised of 3 units of Cossack cavalry (each with 4 light cavalry elements) and 2 supply wagons.  They are 2 provinces away from the depot in an area of dry steppe.  I have 90% military control of the region and I keep cycling one supply wagon back to the depot to re-load supplies yet the Force is constantly running out of supply and taking attrition hits.   

Any ideas why I'm not able to stay in supply?

Tuna

Is the dry steppe considered desert? I thought I read that desert environment you would take attrition hits anyways.. if you're hanging around..

Tuna

Ok, I will try and get involved here as well.. First off, I have no clue what I am doing. But, I am glad that SDR and UCG have made me play this game as previously I have never made it past the first turn. Even though I love it on paper the speed of the game is what I struggle with, seems very slow!

My constant indecision's and changing my mind is probably a big factor in my speed issue. Whether it's from having different needs, or just forgetting what I was attempting to do in previous turns I seem to have trouble staying focused. This causes me to take an extra long time getting things built. Maybe this is just growing pains in 'learning' the game, and will eventually go away. I hope so, because I really want to love this game. It's like Civilization meets AGEOD!

Lately I have plenty of capital cash.. I think that is keeping my inflation in check.

I was very low on Manufactured goods, but couldn't get enough money to build another factory.. Then I figured out, I was selling too many Manufacturing good units, and that is no longer a problem..
First MF goods Factory starting in Arras.

Another thing I'm not sure of, if you have to many industrial placements in an area, could you not have enough population to support said unit. This makes me really wish we had the Census screen that SDR mentions. In the mean time, I will try to build where nothing else is being made, unless it's a resource I really need.

Trying to keep any colonization close to home, so only focusing on North Africa for now.. sending Merchants and Missionaries to Bizerte and Tunisia

Got a notice of Rebels in Baskra, so I see this as my christening of Battle.. I will send one of my forces from Just North near Tunisia to investigate.

I also finished my first Merchant Fleet in Brest, this will be heading to the Trading Box near Cuba.

Silent Disapproval Robot

1850 is drawing to a close and, as the snows started to fall around Moscow, work was finally completed on the Moscow-St. Petersburg rail line.  Trunk lines to Minsk and Kiev should be completed by the late spring of 1851.

Hopefully better transport will mean more reliable supply chains because the poor bastards in Siberia and the Hindu Kush are not faring well and Russian state funds are not able to keep funding replacements.  (The red numbers above the infantry and cavalry indicate losses.)

Here's a Cossack cavalry division stationed in Ulan-Ude on the eastern shores of Lake Baikal.  On the right, you can see the 5 regiments that make up the division.  The red in the boxes indicates losses and these are all due to attrition brought about by lack of supplies. 

Tuna

UCG has sent me a 'supply' treaty.. after reading it looks like it means your troops can supply in the opposite player's territories.. I figure this could come in handy for ships in dire need, so I except.

My troops arrive in Biskra, and since they greatly outnumber the rebels it is a simple victory.

Because the lead General was not 'active' (dark envelope) I couldn't change to assault stance prior. To remedy the situation I moved my inactive General out of the stack.

Now that the battle is over, the winning General is inactive. In order to set to assault stance again (to finish off the Rebels), I move the other General who is now Active back in the stack.

I have some more supplies coming in from the Northwest too hopefully ensure my army's survival

I want to build another Factory for the future, but I don't have enough MF Goods, so will have to wait till next turn

JasonPratt

While passing through again this afternoon, allow me to reiterate how great it is to see a multiplayer AAR on a game like this which is largely (but not entirely) socio-economic in form and function. And which doesn't get a lot of attention, due to having a bad reputation.

O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tuna

Talk about being a noob!!! I forgot about and have been neglecting Replacements!!!.. I have a lot of catching up to do!!!.. Good thing I'm not at war with any Major powers... Should've remembered this from the old days play ACW1.

Martok

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 28, 2014, 02:38:25 PM
While passing through again this afternoon, allow me to reiterate how great it is to see a multiplayer AAR on a game like this which is largely (but not entirely) socio-economic in form and function. And which doesn't get a lot of attention, due to having a bad reputation.

O0
+1  Thanks for doing this guys; I'm really enjoying it. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Silent Disapproval Robot

End of January, 1851.

Things are starting to get...interesting.  In late 1850, the economy in the US took a hit and the ripple effect is starting be be felt around the civilized world.  While Russia has not yet been as affected by it as some nations, trade is suffering.  The amount of goods our merchant fleets shipped was way down and this caused private capital to dry up.  As a consequence, capitalists called for more money printing and inflation has gone up again.  (and we bought some wine from Tuna, as can been seen in the notes at the bottom of the screenshot.)

On the positive side, my efforts to improve roads and establish a more reliable system of supply depots past the Urals seems to be working.  Losses are down and some units are even recovering now even though they're on 1/2 rations.

Our international prestige is slowly but surely climbing and we've now surpassed France and Prussia to be seen as the number 2 power in the world.

Odd that those little fellows from Japan would seek to challenge us when we're ascending.  That's just what they've done however.  The impertinent buggers have gone and set up military outposts around our fishing port and missionary station on the southern end of Sakhalin Island.  This could prove troublesome in the future.  Oh well, I've no doubt a visit from the Imperial Fleet currently stationed in St. Petersburg will soon put them to rights.

Finally, I just found this little tooltip on the trade screen.  If you hover your cursor over the national assets box (the one on the top right of the panel), there's an advisory section in the info box that suggests what factories you should build and where.  I never knew about this.  Looks like I'm getting into the opium trade!

undercovergeek

ooo, i should have mentioned that, although having built 4 from mine the list never gets shorter - insatiable bugger it is

does anyone know how to progress a province with a mission, a trading post and other stuff into a full blown colony?

how i wish i had your funds!

i started 8th i think, ive no idea why ive slipped to 11th apart from a minor disagreement with the populace over the nobility

also just lost 25 points of relationship score with Parma - one day friends, next day not so much, nothing on the intelligence panel - i need all these guys for when the big reunion rush starts!

Tuna

I finally defeated the rebels in Biskra again no contest with overwhelming superiority in numbers.

Still don't know why my cavalry with supplies has not moved to re-supply that division yet.. so moving both north to Annaba

Still catching up with replacements, ordering up more cavalry and all will be good.

Inflation still on the rise, I assume in part due to the economic crisis in America
Would like to build another Factory, but must wait for more MF goods.

Thanks for the tip about Trade, SDR, will have to look at that.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Having email issues right now so I sent out the turns with an alternate email address.  Let me know you guys get them.