Main Menu

GOG?

Started by Jarhead0331, October 15, 2014, 09:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Is it just me or has GOG sort of been in the shitter over the last couple of months.  They seem to be more in the business of releasing new indie-ish games these days and this business of selling movies? Crap independent movies no less? What gives? It seems like it has been a very long time since they released anything that I would consider a golden era classic game, and even longer since they have released any that I was excited over.

Seems like maybe they have exhausted their ability to license and sell the classics?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

You're right. The change began this past summer after they announced a big sale of all their old games and now they rarely mention them. And practically all their new releases are indies now. I had a bitch of a time downloading the last game I bought from there, having to download it in multiple parts or else installing their own installer which never worked properly. The game was Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold which was a big game but hardly compares with the present day monsters. It's sad to see. :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Anguille

I think it got harder for them to find new classic games to release...i am indeed less excited than before to check their page. Still, they released Starpoint Gemini 2 this week which is great.

Rayfer

Totally agree. The 'O' in GOG is seriously lacking lately.

Nefaro

Note that there have been a couple whole catalog sets of old games removed from GOG, I assume by the current rights holders, in the past year or so.

Seeing as how they don't get near as many new titles to sell there, since increasing amounts are sold solely on Steam (*cough* monopoly rising), then they have to add whatever they can.  The video game industry thrives on constantly selling new titles, so I'm sure they must continue to add as much as they can without dredging the bottom too much. 

In the past polls about what GOG customers wanted to see sold there more, I always marked "new game releases".  Because I like their No-DRM policy and ease of use.  I dunno where some of the movie stuff came from, but to be fair Steam has started doing it too (along with accounting software and other such). 

I've still seen a few oldies released on GOG but I think the biggest hurdle is the rights owners putting them up for sale there.  Or in some recent cases - taking them down.

sandman2575

Yet another indication that we will eventually be 'one nation under Steam'?

GOG seems to me one of the few sites offering something different from Steam while providing a user experience that is in some ways comparable to Steam.  It's not the fabulously, addictively integrated experience that Steam offers, but it's novel and pleasing in its own way -- whereas sites like GamersGate and Greenmangaming do nothing to make me want to shop and spend time there, beyond the occasional nice discount.  They're just websites, and I don't see how they can compete with Steam in the long run (or maybe not so long run).  GameStop has an 'app' of course, but...*yawn*.

If GOG goes tits up (and nice new avatar btw, Anguille), Steam's superiority as a game distributor will just seem that much more unassailable... 

Greybriar

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 15, 2014, 11:34:44 AM

GOG seems to me one of the few sites offering something different from Steam while providing a user experience that is in some ways comparable to Steam.  It's not the fabulously, addictively integrated experience that Steam offers, but it's novel and pleasing in its own way -- whereas sites like GamersGate and Greenmangaming do nothing to make me want to shop and spend time there, beyond the occasional nice discount.  They're just websites, and I don't see how they can compete with Steam in the long run (or maybe not so long run).  GameStop has an 'app' of course, but...*yawn*.

If GOG goes tits up (and nice new avatar btw, Anguille), Steam's superiority as a game distributor will just seem that much more unassailable...

+1

GOG.com needs enough sales to stay in business. While I don't particularly like the path GOG.com has taken, I can understand the reason behind it. Where else online are DRM-Free games sold? As long as GOG.com sells DRM-Free PC games, I will do what I can to support them.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 15, 2014, 11:34:44 AM

What is wrong with "one nation under steam"? They do it better. As you say, they provide a great user experience. If someone wants to compete with them, they have to figure out how to do it better. That is the genius of our economy. If someone makes something that works better, it will sell. I'm not going to support a worse product for the sole reason of resisting a better one.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

BanzaiCat

Just got an email from GOG asking for help playtesting "GOG Galaxy," some kind of multiplayer platform, and in exchange I'd get a free key for Alien vs. Predator Classic from 2000 or so.

sandman2575

Don't want to give the wrong impression -- I LOVE Steam, to an unhealthy degree, probably.  I've pretty much given up on other venues like GamersGate. I load up Steam on startup, and have pretty much everything I need at my fingertips.

But I do worry slightly about Steam's crowding out competition. It's not Valve's fault that they've created an outstanding product -- it's up to competitors to up their game if they want to compete.  But even though I don't personally buy a lot of games from GOG, I like their site a lot -- like the aesthetic, like the UI and options, like the D/L and management features.  So I want GOG to succeed, and want there to be some viable alternatives -- or maybe 'supplements' is more accurate -- to Steam.

BanzaiCat

Thing is, Steam has noted GOG's popularity and has been offering classic games that only GOG used to host. I don't know if this has been ongoing or not and I've just not noticed it until now, but when I saw Sid Meier's Covert Action available on Steam recently, I thought that didn't bode well for GOG.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327390/

They offer this and Colonization and Pirates! in one pack for $11.24. Kind of high but it's tempting; if I didn't already have Covert Action (via GOG, incidentally) and Pirates! on my iPad, this might intrigue me.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on October 15, 2014, 01:27:09 PM
Thing is, Steam has noted GOG's popularity and has been offering classic games that only GOG used to host. I don't know if this has been ongoing or not and I've just not noticed it until now, but when I saw Sid Meier's Covert Action available on Steam recently, I thought that didn't bode well for GOG.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327390/

They offer this and Colonization and Pirates! in one pack for $11.24. Kind of high but it's tempting; if I didn't already have Covert Action (via GOG, incidentally) and Pirates! on my iPad, this might intrigue me.

They started selling old GOG-style games sometime last year IIRC. 

I've had doubts as to whether Steam would spend the time getting them to work properly, and especially follow-up if there were still some compatibility issues left after they released something.  I've had numerous old GOG games get further compatibility patches.

With Steam's CS reputation, I don't have much faith in them doing any such tweaks on their oldies.  Unless they utilize the ones done by GOG for the people who own the rights and previously sold it on GOG.

As for the Steam vs GOG debate, they both have their strengths.  I purchased my AOW3 stuff from GOG.  There are quite a few new games I'd prefer to buy there than anywhere else, if I could.  But another issue is that some new releases are out on Steam long before GOG.  Don't know whether by agreements but it's a good bet.  Sometimes I don't even expect one to be on GOG so I get it on Steam before finding out, weeks later, that there will be a GOG version.  That doesn't help.

Huw the Poo

This is news?  They rebranded from Good Old Games to GOG, with resultant diversification (the whole point of the rebranding) ages ago.  And as has already been said, how many old classics are there left?  I imagine it's an utter nightmare grappling with all those rights issues and negotiating no DRM into the bargain.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2014, 01:11:00 PM
What is wrong with "one nation under steam"?

Eggs, baskets.  Also, with GOG's no-DRM approach you own the games you buy.  With Steam you own nothing, you're just renting for an indeterminate period.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 15, 2014, 02:39:54 PM
This is news?  They rebranded from Good Old Games to GOG, with resultant diversification (the whole point of the rebranding) ages ago.  And as has already been said, how many old classics are there left?  I imagine it's an utter nightmare grappling with all those rights issues and negotiating no DRM into the bargain.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 15, 2014, 01:11:00 PM
What is wrong with "one nation under steam"?

Eggs, baskets.  Also, with GOG's no-DRM approach you own the games you buy.  With Steam you own nothing, you're just renting for an indeterminate period.

I'm not going to go down this rabbit hole right now. When steam folds, or tells me that I can no longer play any of the games I've bought because they are revoking my licenses, then I'll let you say, "I told you so."  until then, I will continue to put my money towards the most user friendly, convenient and enjoyable digital management system on the planet. You want to avoid joining the rest of the world's enjoyment, your choice, your loss. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Calm down buddy.  I have plenty of games on Steam.  I'm simply pointing out that not everyone agrees that there's nothing wrong with a single company being the sole gatekeeper to your games collection.