TERRA NOVA INVICTUS (Imperialism II AAR)

Started by PanzersEast, October 27, 2014, 02:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

THE SETUP:
I am starting with a Random Old World Map and playing as the Dutch.

Custom Difficulty (55)
Random Events: ON
Food Economy: COMPLEX
Luxury Economy: COMPLEX
Extra Income from Royal Estates: ON
Slower Computer Development: NORMAL

Other settings have been set to give me a slight advantage starting out in some areas and Normal in others, since I am a relative newb to the game. 

Here is the Old World Map starting out.

INTRO:
My Goal as the Dutch is to scout my lands as quickly as possible for resources and once I determine what my possible shortages are, take out the grey and fill it with Orange.  By trade I am a turtler player, however in this case it would be a determent to me and almost certain defeat.  So, I plan to be as aggressive as possible in the New World.  I must be very careful because if it is to my advantage to take territory in the Old Word, then I will take it.  For sure it will be a balance and to take advantage of any relationships I can build to manipulate to my side.  I also would like to grow my population rather quickly to build up a formidable military.

I for sure feel the pressure of having 3 Major Powers bordering myself, so I will have to strike a balance in the way I distribute my military.  I am going to try and stay away from conflict as much as possible, but given my starting location and the mad rush for the New World, this seems like wishful thinking.  I may look to see which of my neighbors gains the most strength and then buddy up to them.....   ah, the joys of expansion.

PE

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

I just know that this is probably going to start me on yet another Imperialism II binge.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

PE, from the painting you picked I'm hoping you will play as the Dutch. O0
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

PanzersEast

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 27, 2014, 06:52:40 PM
PE, from the painting you picked I'm hoping you will play as the Dutch. O0

Good catch, that is why I chose it and who I am playing as  O0

bbmike

Ouch, Holland is right in the middle of all those great powers. I think you're gonna need a bigger military.  :buck2: I would prefer to be England in that setup.
I hardily approve of your other game settings. I always pick the extra income from Royal Estates (and still have money problems!).
Hopefully there will be lots of goodies in the New World! Now where's my strategy guide and game start icon...
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

PanzersEast

Quote from: bbmike on October 28, 2014, 05:54:36 AM
Ouch, Holland is right in the middle of all those great powers. I think you're gonna need a bigger military.  :buck2: I would prefer to be England in that setup.
I hardily approve of your other game settings. I always pick the extra income from Royal Estates (and still have money problems!).
Hopefully there will be lots of goodies in the New World! Now where's my strategy guide and game start icon...

For sure not the desired starting point, however when I randomly generated it, I just went with it.... no matter how bad.  I was counting on it being interesting to see what happens given a interesting starting position.  I am nervous on keeping my standing in the Old World, but expanding in the New..... I will for sure need to find high value resources to stay alive.... I believe it will revolve around keeping a strong economy and trying to ally myself with the right person..... won't be able to do this one solo.

PE

PanzersEast

JOURNAL ENTRY #1

Decisions:
2 Ships send in search of new world
1 Ship to remain behind in port
Recruitment: 1 Builder and 1 Explorer
Researching: Saw Mill (lvl 2 Timber), Sup. Hull Design (Large Merch), Speed Drill (Level 3 Grain Gath)
Producing: Textile (1) / Paper (1)
Expanding Roads

Situation:
With our precarious starting position and after careful deliberation with my advisors I have elected to begin my region and expansion by doing the following.  I have purchased an additional Explorer for the Old World to find much needed resources and once I feel I have enough scouted I will transfer him to the New World.  I also purchased an additional builder.  I am going to try and stand up my economy as quickly as possible to evaluate my needs.

I have split my navy up sending 2 ships to explore and 1 ship at home (I had considered sending all 3 ships, however I decided that may be a bad idea).  I am planning on building more, however I want to try and balance my economy and military... the main pressure I feel is getting to those areas of the New World that will yield me the most profit.

To further my population growth and timber I have decided on the following research areas:

Other News:
My rivals have already begun to influence those lesser nations, I have elected to wait and see.

bbmike

Quote from: PanzersEast on October 28, 2014, 10:35:35 AM
I have split my navy up sending 2 ships to explore and 1 ship at home (I had considered sending all 3 ships, however I decided that may be a bad idea).  I am planning on building more, however I want to try and balance my economy and military... the main pressure I feel is getting to those areas of the New World that will yield me the most profit.

Yes, and remember that ship back home can be used to transport more goods if needed.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

Quote from: PanzersEast on October 28, 2014, 10:35:35 AM
Other News:
My rivals have already begun to influence those lesser nations, I have elected to wait and see.

I'm trying to remember (it's be been a little while now since I've played):  What's the value in establishing consulates in the other countries versus not doing so? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

It allows you to trade with minor powers and they will like you more. If they like you enough you get first crack at whatever resources they sell.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak