IRL (In Real Life) > Music, TV, Movies

Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

<< < (124/137) > >>

Toonces:
Watched an...interesting....movie night before last called There Will Be Blood.  It kept popping on my recommendations so I finally sat down to see what the fuss was about.

It's a hard movie to describe.  The only movie I can think of that I've seen that was similar (and it's a stretch) is The Power of the Dog.

The premise of the former is the main actor is an oil speculator and while he starts out good, eventually he becomes corrupted and deceptive, and I guess goes completely bat-shit crazy at the end.  The music is unusual and the way it's shot is kinda artsy-fartsy, but not in a bad way.  I recommend it.

Ruthless silver miner, turned oil prospector, Daniel Plainview moves to oil-rich California. Using his adopted son to project a trustworthy, family-man image, Plainview cons local landowners into selling him their valuable properties for a pittance. However, local preacher Eli Sunday suspects Plainviews motives and intentions, starting a slow-burning feud that threatens both their lives.

And speaking of The Power of the Dog, that was another movie that I can't say 100% that I liked.  Well, that's not fair, I liked it, but I found it a challenging movie to understand. There was a lot going on and a lot of layers to unpack.  I'm not even sure how to describe the premise so I'll borrow from the internet:

Charismatic rancher Phil Burbank inspires fear and awe in those around him. When his brother brings home a new wife and her son, Phil torments them until he finds himself exposed to the possibility of love.

I don't want to post any more because part of the beauty of the plot is having no idea where it's going, or how it ends.  I recommend it, but it might be more of a date night movie if your spouse is into deep, complex love stories. 

al_infierno:
There Will Be Blood is a modern masterpiece and a perfect film.  An absolute master class in acting, editing, and cinematography.  The unusual choices for music and shot compositions are part of the genius IMO, and there are some pretty good analysis videos (like I've linked below) that delve into the film's many layers.  It's very much a character study of a sociopathic conman, and on that note I'd argue Plainview was never really "good," but early on he showed signs of being at least redeemable.

Never seen Power of the Dog but that looks quite interesting as well.

Toonces:
If you loved There Will Be Blood that much then I'm sure you'll love The Power of the Dog.  It has that indie/Sundace Film Festival ambience. 

Gusington:
There Will Be Blood is epic, I love that movie. Daniel Day Lewis is just unreal.

The Wife and I both enjoyed Don't Look Up too.

Sir Slash:
I thought, "There Will Be Blood" was WAY overrated. Watching Lewis turn into a raving lunatic wasn't much fun. I liked him a lot better cutting people up in Gangs of New York.  O0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version