Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

I got Hell in the recent Slitherine Humble Bundle deal but haven't installed it yet. Too much summer sale goodness going on right now!

-budd-

in my endeavor to finish some of the games i own, i decided to go on a FP gaming  run. I think i have some where around 40, give or take in my backlog. So i started and finished Halflife 2. I bought the whole pack and its my only purchase so far from the steam sale. How's that for commitment, bought and finished before the sale is over :D. I own it on the PS3 but gave up finishing it, can't play FPS with a damn gamepad. Quality on rails FPS with good pacing and some nice set pieces battles, a few headcrab jump scares. took around 18 hours to finish. Don't know if i'll jump into episode 1 or move to another FPS.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

-budd-

My FPS ride continues.
Finished up halflife 2 episode 1 &2 to complete the halflife experience. Episode 2 was a wee bit harder than episode 1 :) about 4+ hours each give or take. Halfway through Call of Juarez Gunslinger, picked up the original call of juarez and bound in blood in the summer sale.

-budd-

Put the finishing touches on Call of Juarez Gunslinger.

I enjoyed it,quality game . i'm sucker for a good western.

Nice on rails FPS with an excellent complimentary soundtrack and audio story telling, real good voice work. Good gun play and useful perks to choose from. The pacing was great, the game didn't drag along. Took me about 11 hours to finish. Budd gives it a  O0

-budd-

Finished Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay

An average on rails FPS/Stealth game that doesn't quite live up to it's ambitions. I almost put the game down because of the loose,floaty mouse controls that makes aiming harder than it has to be. the stealth doesn't always seem to work with enemies seeing you sometimes when your in the dark and a long ways away and there's some back tracking that gets annoying. the enemy AI is marginal at best, you can run past them and crouch in the dark and they will eventually forget about you. The game uses a check point save system but the checkpoints seem fairly placed.The game has a lot of the voices from the movies and does have some nice stealth moments/puzzles. The last 2 hours of game play kind of redeem the game because the pace picks up and no more back tracking. Took me about 10 hours to complete at an average pace.

MetalDog

And Warlock 2 has fallen!  191 Turns.  Defeated the other Great Mages on Normal.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Rayfer

budd....you're on a game-finishing roll...I'm jealous, it's been a while since I finished a game. Congrats.

Shelldrake

Quote from: MetalDog on July 03, 2015, 10:05:36 PM
And Warlock 2 has fallen!  191 Turns.  Defeated the other Great Mages on Normal.

Congrats MD!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

MetalDog

Thank you, sir!  Ever get any closer to some mp?

Sir Slash

I finished the 4th battle of CMFI's Conrath's Counterattack campaign with a draw which was what I was playing for. To win you have to capture both objectives, one close, the other about 35 miles down the road full of American defenses. I took the close objective, hit what Americans I could and preserved my forces. The Americans suffered 28 causalities including 11 KIA and 1 AT gun. My losses were 5 wounded. Now it's on to battle 5 of the 6 mission campaign which branches according to the choices you make. We're taking our shorts with us so we can take a dip in the Med after the fighting is done.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

-budd-

Quote from: MetalDog on July 03, 2015, 10:05:36 PM

191 turns, now that is commitment. I don't think i've ever got to the end of a 4x game. Not civ 1,2,3,4,5, warlock 1[own it, haven't played it yet], AOW ect. Love to start them and get to late game but the end game maintenance usually does me in. Congrats on getting to the finishing line.

MetalDog

If it's a foregone conclusion that I will lose, I will surrender/give up/not go back to the game.  I'll start another one.  But, I find that when the plan is a winner, and you're rolling, it's a good feeling to rack up the score and go for the kill.  I really won by accident.  I was playing the campaign and I was under the impression I had to get to the final world and defeat the SupeMage or whatever.  The best way to do it was to take out my rivals so I could concentrate force and resource on the goal.  When I took the Dragon Queen's capital, I immediately won.  So, an abrupt end to what I thought still held some more turns.

-budd-

Quote from: Rayfer on July 04, 2015, 07:36:54 AM
budd....you're on a game-finishing roll...I'm jealous, it's been a while since I finished a game. Congrats.

Well i was starting to feel stupid. Buying more games with all the games that haven't been played or installed yet. speaking of buying games, i bought "This war of mine" yesterday at Humble at 60% off. somehow it makes me feel less stupid for buying more games when i actually finish some ;) Games want to be finished they told me so :idiot2:

Not sure which one i'll go into next, there are several i have already started and are into a good portion of the way. Dead space, Doom 3, shadow warrior, ect. Thank god for steam cloud, reinstall the game and your save is right there. I'm leaning toward going back to shoot Alma in the face with a shotgun or continuing on and finishing assault on dark athena to cap off the riddick series.It has the benefit of already being installed and i did enjoy the last 2 hours of the first a lot.

JasonPratt

Finished Batman: Arkham Knight last night. My spoilery impressions as I go can be found here on JudgeDredd's thread for the PC game at Grogheads.

Overall, a fine if somewhat schizophrenic end to the series, suffers from optimization (so far) in the port to PC from apparently the PS4 version, too many writers tend to conflict each other a bit -- and the Riddler portions have been only marginally improved in design, with a lot of the needlessly annoying characteristics of the previous entries still in play.

But averaging out the whiffles, I'm not disappointed. Gameplay is still what it has always been, with further interesting refinements, especially the Batmobile which I admit I entered the game being more than a little sceptical of, especially after ArkOrigins: why would Batman even want, much less need, a Batmobile when he has the Batwing? The game doesn't really answer that question, but it sure answers why he might want a Bat-tank-mobile!  :smitten: The Batmobile is a clear winner, and almost becomes its own character, faithfully following Batman around like a pet and growling when it settles in for rest. Good bad Batdog.

The main plot misses a few opportunities (as do some of the side plots), and introduces a main plot factor out of plot-nowhere which, given its importance, can't help but feel noticeably absent from the other games in the putative "trilogy" -- which is ironic, since Origins, a game which has been routinely disavowed by publicist marketing, is not only well-represented in the plot, but is the only game of the four (or five, counting the handheld sequel to Origins Blackgate, which really doesn't get any mention in Knight) where a lack of this plot factor makes any sense by its absence.

That being said, the writers go for a suitably apocalyptic all-out attack on Batman for the final game of the series, and provide a reasonably good ending. I recommend either getting it on a current-gen console, or waiting for Rocksteady to improve game performance on PC; but after extensive testing (on an admittedly high-end hardware system) I can say that even with all the gfx turned off or minimized, the game looks sufficiently stunning, assuming resolution is turned up past 720p. (On the other hand, there were still some stutters and even in the late game a couple of outright crashes. So caveat emptor, ymmv.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

Haven't had much luck on the last 2 games. Riddick assault on dark Athena didn't play well with my system no matter what i did, so had to put that one down after an 1 1/2 hours. Installed and got 5 hours into "Hard Reset"  apparently the same guys who did the new Shadow Warrior. I'm done with it, not to say i finished it, i'm just done with it. Here's the game in a nutshell. Go to an area, lock you in and you cant advance until everything is dead rinse and repeat. the different types of enemies is limited, the boss fights are ok, the environments are all similar, and there's a bit of backtracking. Go here, turn power on, go here turn power off, kill everything, advance to the next area. The game does have a nice upgradable shotgun ;D . The game play pattern is pretty old school in the quake, doom kinda way, but it just got to be a grind.....so I'm moving  on.