Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 04, 2016, 03:09:21 AM
I just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider.  Enjoyed it quite a bit.  I even spent a bunch of time doing all the challenges and finding all the artifacts and hidden goodies.  Ended up with a 97% completion rating.

I felt the story started out a bit poorly but it picked up as the game progressed.  I'm looking forward to the next installment in the series.
97% now that's a finish. I usually don't have the stamina to go for the extras, the game must be good
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 04, 2016, 08:43:09 AM
No doubt the next installment will be Dawn of the Tomb Raider.  ::)

It was funnier when Yahtzee said it.

JasonPratt

Oh, true, he did make that joke already.

Well, he didn't write a review for the original pretending it was a Green Arrow origin story with the names and situations changed enough to avoid a Warner Bros lawsuit!  8)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

Finished Order of Battle Pacific: Morning Sun.  The Japanese conquered China.

When I get time, I'll play it on a harder setting.

Sir Slash

Congrats on the Big Win. So, how was it? The game I mean.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 11, 2016, 10:48:51 AM
Congrats on the Big Win. So, how was it? The game I mean.

There is a first impression article on the mythical front page.

The AI is very good hammering you if your units cannot provide mutual support and get cut off from the supply train.  The game is just brutal if you run out of supplies - units become very vulnerable to attack, can barely move, and their ability to attack gets killed.

The AI will rotate troops out of the line to replenish/resupply in a logical fashion.  But the AI uses its air units in an idiotic fashion.  They won't reinforce if damaged and they attack low priority targets.  The AI also has difficulty concentrating forces to make local counter-attacks effective.  Like most wargame AIs, it is better on defense than on offense.

Once I got the hang of the game, I could roll as the IJA.  But I played it below the "average" setting.  I'm not sure how well the game plays at regular difficulty.

I think if this was a head-to-head game that it would be very difficult for the IJA.  In many scenarios, China has a lot more units.  Used intelligently, a human player could keep slipping units through the boonies to cut off major supply lines or recapture major cities.  If the IJA has to burn a bunch of units to keep the line of supply open, I'm not sure you can muster enough firepower to take the major objectives.  The AI does not (at least at this level of difficulty) keep infiltrating units.  Chop you up if you have unsupported attack probes - absolutely.  Infiltrate units, nope.

Overall, even at this level of difficulty it was very interesting.  Totally different major theater of war.  The mix of allied units, the huge variation in Chinese equipment, and the sometimes horribly difficult terrain make it interesting.  If you already have Order of Battle: Pacific, then buying this as an add-on is a good value.

Rayfer

Between turns in WitP:AE and Combat Mission: Red Thunder I would escape into the five-episode adventure game "Life is Strange". Just finished it a few minutes ago. Great change of pace from war gaming.  Excellent story and a satisfying end.

-budd-

Finished  F.E.A.R  Extraction Point a nice continuation of the story and the usual good gun play. Unfortunately the game has a conflict with my logitech mouse and suffers from severe frame drop where you have to quit and then restart. Sometimes i could play an hour without it happening other times 10 minutes. The only way according to online sources to remedy that is to disable your HID devices which i wasnt going to do, so i had to quit and restart game a lot which did take away from the experience. F. E.A.R. is a solid shooter with good creepy atmosphere with good really good sound and music that fits the game, i jumped a few times. I must of liked it to put up with the FPS drop issue. I've already loaded Persues Mandate to see where the story goes, i know wheres its leading by the clues and i'm thinking what the hell so i have to see. i hope the FPS drop doesnt  continue on, from what i read its engine related so i have little hope although i played the first F.E.A.R. without issues with the same mouse.

A few frames

They haven't heard don't mess with budd and his combat shotgun

Got a jump when this popped open

Alma I'm coming for ya...and i'm bringing my combat shotgun ;D

airboy

Finished Order of Battle: Morning Sun on medium difficulty.  It clobbered me about midway through the campaign until I restarted and shifted the composition of my army substantially.

-budd-

Finished F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate ... 8 hours... the last battles took me a bit as the save i used was low on health and ammo. I'll move on the F.E.A.R. 2  to finish out the story, F.E.A.R. 3 from what i read doesnt really add to the story so i'll skip it.

Anguille

Just finished the campaign in Grand Ages Medieval....very long!

Rayfer

Quote from: Anguille on April 08, 2016, 04:34:17 PM
Just finished the campaign in Grand Ages Medieval....very long!

Congrats...! I was close to pulling the trigger on this in a recent Steam sale, but didn't....there was too many negative comments on various forums so I passed.

JasonPratt

We require commentary Anguille. CATER TO OUR VICARIOUS WHIMS FOR FREEEEE!!  :D ...um, please.  O:-)

Finished 40K: SPACE MARINE. I can say I'm legitimately sorry Relic, or rather THQ, died soon after its release. (Not sure where Relic is, although someone is still supporting Dawn of War 2 since a new Necron hero was released for their Last Stand mode recently.) I would have liked to see where they took the developing story. Still, I can't say I was entirely sorry to be done with the game: the character models were great, but the drab grimgrey industrial deathchurchy setting, while no doubt appropriate for where the action was happening, was... well... drab grimgrey industrial.  :buck2: Setting a Space Marine game in something like Far Cry 3 or 4 would have been mindblowing.

Speaking of, haven't finished FC4 yet, but took an important step toward it. Apparently the next main story mission will end the main campaign -- the game has warned me to finish whatever I mean to do in the sandbox before triggering it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Anguille

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 10, 2016, 10:23:52 AM
We require commentary Anguille. CATER TO OUR VICARIOUS WHIMS FOR FREEEEE!!  :D ...um, please.  O:-)

Quote from: Rayfer on April 08, 2016, 05:41:09 PM
Congrats...! I was close to pulling the trigger on this in a recent Steam sale, but didn't....there was too many negative comments on various forums so I passed.

I was very much looking forward to this game and bought it on release (maybe even preodered it as i got the 2 small dlcs) but was very unimpressed when i started the campaign....i didn't like the story and there were many things i did not really understand well...and the manual is really bad. The result were big losses and a lost game. I stopped playing. The patch improved the game but i didn't have the motivation to play. This changed last week when people asked about the game and gave it another go...mid-campaign was getting really fun...end-campaign was too long for my taste but ok (i am a slow player).

I have now started a free map and really have fun (much more than with the campaign).

Arctic Blast

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 10, 2016, 10:23:52 AM

Finished 40K: SPACE MARINE. I can say I'm legitimately sorry Relic, or rather THQ, died soon after its release. (Not sure where Relic is, although someone is still supporting Dawn of War 2 since a new Necron hero was released for their Last Stand mode recently.) I would have liked to see where they took the developing story. Still, I can't say I was entirely sorry to be done with the game: the character models were great, but the drab grimgrey industrial deathchurchy setting, while no doubt appropriate for where the action was happening, was... well... drab grimgrey industrial.  :buck2: Setting a Space Marine game in something like Far Cry 3 or 4 would have been mindblowing.

Speaking of, haven't finished FC4 yet, but took an important step toward it. Apparently the next main story mission will end the main campaign -- the game has warned me to finish whatever I mean to do in the sandbox before triggering it.

Sega bought Relic, so they still exist. They've been at work on Company of Heroes 2 stuff of late.

I liked Space Marine, though it was a bit...off. That many orcs should have torn your character limb from limb. Getting past nerd stuff like that, the ending was awful. Let's just throw in a bunch of quick time events as you fight this chaos marine? Seriously? To say nothing of the fact that Black Templars are hanging out with an Inquisitor...or that your fellow Ultra Marine is just handing you over to them for judgment (apparently we're back at nerd stuff  ;D ).