Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

What's worse is that the fellow Ultra called them in! -- they wouldn't have been there otherwise! To be fair, the writers did lampshade this in the dialogue, with the tattleteller being told (and kind of accepting) that he had failed the chapter by doing so.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Finished the main campaign of Far Cry 4 last night. Hunted around the internet to see if there was much of anything interesting in the remaining side missions, and I didn't find anything. Sparing the life of this or that person made no difference at all. Watched the secret quick ending to the game (if you follow Pagan Min's instructions and just stay put for ten or fifteen minutes), which I suspect (although I found no mention online about it yet) segues directly into the DLC "Escape from Durgesh Prison" (or however it's spelled) which is not so much about escaping from that prison (which happens in the main campaign) as being a fast whole-game campaign mission under Pagan Min's insane tutelage. In 30 minutes his forces will attack the rebellion's airport outpost to retake it; if you want to leave the area, you have to earn the rebellion's good will and amass enough force to help them repel the attack. You do this by fighting Min's underlings; and for various achievements Min adds time back to the clock. In effect it's possible to play a thematic summary of the main campaign in an hour or two.

While that sounds kind of interesting, I'm more interested in the "Valley of the Yeti" DLC, which I may even set up an AAR on since it involves base-building first-person strategy. Not sure.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Silent Disapproval Robot

I finally managed to defeat Ithaqua in Elder Signs: Omens.  God damn that scenario is tough!  I didn't manage to save the chick which would have unlocked the bonus character and I lost two of my party, but I killed the bastard!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Defeated the Dark Pharoah in Elder Signs: Omens.  One of my 4 characters went insane but other than that, the scenario went flawlessly.  Even had the room track at zero at the end of things.  This was a fairly tough scenario but nowhere near as bad as the Ithaqua one.  I've now defeated all the elder gods in the game.  Now I'll go back and try it with some of the shit characters.

Huw the Poo

I just "beat" Verde Station.  In the "walking simulator" genre, it took all of 1.1 hours.  Now...walking simulator it may be, but this one is worth playing, especially if you're a fan of the 70s outer space aesthetic.  All I will say is you wake up on a space station and....it gets weird.  It's £4 on Steam and worth the price in my opinion.

FarAway Sooner

I've got a double (or sorts) to report from the last few days!

First off, I won X-Com: Enemy Unknown .  It's the first time I've ever won the game, but it was on Classic (above-average difficulty) so I'm pretty stoked about that.  The game's a few years old, and I'd put it down after playing a few times, but finally decided to dust it off and finish it and I'm very glad I did.  The game doesn't have quite the same brilliant feel or atmosphere as the original X-Com: UFO Defense or even as Xenonauts, but it was very enjoyable and avoided the grinding of both those titles.

Secondly, I won Ironcasts by defeating Commandant Durant for the very first time!  [**SPOILER ALERT**]  Or rather, I won the first act, because apparently defeating the French Commandant is only an entry into the second half of the game, which gets even harder!  That was a nice twist and not something I saw coming.  Ironcasts is a very nice little game, mixing Match-3 puzzle dynamics with a deeper strategic layer and options to customize your own Ironcast that I thoroughly enjoy.  That's a title I'll keep playing with my 6-year old son, although I hadn't played it much in a year or more.

Now, on to see if I can wind Commander: The Great War as the Central Powers!  Then, on to the Mother of all Titles, American Civil War 2...

-budd-

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on May 24, 2016, 10:52:48 PM
I've got a double (or sorts) to report from the last few days!

First off, I won X-Com: Enemy Unknown .  It's the first time I've ever won the game, but it was on Classic (above-average difficulty) so I'm pretty stoked about that.  The game's a few years old, and I'd put it down after playing a few times, but finally decided to dust it off and finish it and I'm very glad I did.  The game doesn't have quite the same brilliant feel or atmosphere as the original X-Com: UFO Defense or even as Xenonauts, but it was very enjoyable and avoided the grinding of both those titles.

Secondly, I won Ironcasts by defeating Commandant Durant for the very first time!  [**SPOILER ALERT**]  Or rather, I won the first act, because apparently defeating the French Commandant is only an entry into the second half of the game, which gets even harder!  That was a nice twist and not something I saw coming.  Ironcasts is a very nice little game, mixing Match-3 puzzle dynamics with a deeper strategic layer and options to customize your own Ironcast that I thoroughly enjoy.  That's a title I'll keep playing with my 6-year old son, although I hadn't played it much in a year or more.

Now, on to see if I can wind Commander: The Great War as the Central Powers!  Then, on to the Mother of all Titles, American Civil War 2...

Wow your on a roll. I still haven't finished Xcom, didnt stop me from installing the long war mod and starting over...thats makes sense deosn' t it  :idiot2:
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

BanzaiCat

I've been getting my butt kicked with work for weeks now, and even with super-long hours some days I still put in 30 minutes to an hour of time with Geneforge 1 every evening, as both a reward after working a 16+ hour day and a way to decompress so I wouldn't dream of Photoshop, Storyline, or temperature control applications all night. (One dares to dream thusly, of course.) Some weekends I'd put in two hours (gasp) before getting back to work. The game actually took me 37 hours to complete - a lot more than I thought, and considering I'd purchased it with a combo pack for super-cheap (something like two bucks for all five Geneforge games) a year or more ago, I got a hell of a deal.

I managed to finish Geneforge 1, surprisingly. It was a nice little RPG and has an appealing 'explore everything' aspect to it, though I got tired of the quest lines at about the halfway point and just started exploring everywhere, killing things, saving often, leveling up, and eventually being able to kill anything on the map. I was still able to finish the main quest line - I figured the other quests would eventually reveal themselves. I didn't feel like, and felt too exhausted, to do the step-and-fetch-it quests (go to X, whom tells you to go get Y and bring it back, before they give you Z), and I was surprised I was able to play the game exactly the way I wanted to and still finish it.

I chose to partake of the Geneforge to obtain super-powers (basically a +8 to all stats and spellcasting ability). As I was playing a Guardian (a warrior), his spellcasting was minimal, but with those bumps he became a combat god that had no challenges whatsoever on that island. I soon left, blowing through the opposition in the last screen to get to the boat and escape the island. Then, the Shapers I found on the mainland feared my new powers - as little people do, they never understand - and things eventually (as the end narration stated) turned into me creating an army to conquer the known world. The known world was having none of that, and others partook of the Geneforge, forming their own armies, turning the world into a giant battleground. Fun was had.

I started Geneforge 2 but it's not as engrossing as 1.

Sir Slash

Congrats on the Wins Sooner. I'm up to my armpits in ACW 2 right now and loving it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 25, 2016, 09:01:51 AM
Congrats on the Wins Sooner. I'm up to my armpits in ACW 2 right now and loving it.

I'm with you Sir Slash, I love ACW2 as well, even though many on these forums think the Ageod engine doesn't work well with the game. I don't agree with them.

Anguille

I completed the campaign of Grand Ages: Rome....took me a while (almost 50 hours). I'll make a short break before playing the campaign of the addon (Reign of Augustus with about 12 maps).

Silent Disapproval Robot

I finally got enough renown to best the evil Frenchman Rivaleaux in Renowned Explorers.  Finished the campaign in adventure mode on classic difficulty with a final score of 2,701 renown and a friendly reputation. This is a stupidly fun little game!

Anguille

I finally completed the campaig in Autumn Dynasty...it's an excellent strategy game for android and ios. Unfortunately, the sequel, Warldords, isn't available for android (yet).

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 15, 2016, 06:22:38 PM
I finally got enough renown to best the evil Frenchman Rivaleaux in Renowned Explorers.  Finished the campaign in adventure mode on classic difficulty with a final score of 2,701 renown and a friendly reputation. This is a stupidly fun little game!

I've played it twice and can't get anywhere near his score. I love the game too, but I'm disappointed in my play skill or lack thereof. I'll need to try a new tack when I have time to get back to it. Congrats on the win, that couldn't have been easy!

BanzaiCat

Finally! I finished Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition today. For the first time, ever.

I don't deserve kudos for finishing a 20-year-old game, so all I can say is, it's about time.

I have BG2 on GOG, but it's not an enhanced edition. I tried importing my character and it crashed (as several have complained about). Not about to drop $20 on BGII:EE, so I'll just wait for a sale.