Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Quote from: W8taminute on July 04, 2017, 06:09:31 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 04, 2017, 02:26:59 PM
W8, can you play MP on Alea?  I'd be down for that if we can.  I am not very good, but I think I would have more fun if there were another human involved.

MD I'd love to play this game with you.  I believe you play by email though so it's not like a live online session.  I'd be up for it though.  Let me log into Steam and see how this would work. 

Edit:  Yup.  Just read the manual.  One person hosts the game and emails the turn to the next player.  The second player plays his turn and emails the file back to the host.  Host then puts the turn in the correct folder and loads the game.  I believe you can also send the turn files back and forth to each other via an instant messaging app.  Maybe even the Steam chat tool?

Excellent!  I PM'd you my e-mail addy in case you don't still have it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

W8taminute

Quote from: MetalDog on July 04, 2017, 07:31:57 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on July 04, 2017, 06:09:31 PM
W8, can you play MP on Alea?  I'd be down for that if we can.  I am not very good, but I think I would have more fun if there were another human involved.

MD I'd love to play this game with you.  I believe you play by email though so it's not like a live online session.  I'd be up for it though.  Let me log into Steam and see how this would work. 

Edit:  Yup.  Just read the manual.  One person hosts the game and emails the turn to the next player.  The second player plays his turn and emails the file back to the host.  Host then puts the turn in the correct folder and loads the game.  I believe you can also send the turn files back and forth to each other via an instant messaging app.  Maybe even the Steam chat tool?

Excellent!  I PM'd you my e-mail addy in case you don't still have it.

Thanks! I'm glad you PM'd me.  I have replied with my email as well. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tuna

Let's do a 3 way!!!.. This thread is going South in 3... 2... 1....

MetalDog

Quote from: Tuna on July 04, 2017, 08:48:30 PM

I'm down.

Sir Slash

I smell a AAR Section Winner coming up. Congrats on the win W8taminute. Which scenario were you playing? And give me some tips so I can win my next game.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

Quote from: MetalDog on July 04, 2017, 09:40:30 PM

I'm down.

But I get up again.  LoL

Spoke with Tuna briefly last night on Steam and yes we should see if we could do a three way.  I don't think the scenario I played is possible to have more than two sides but I'll check later on and get back to you.  Otherwise we can play another scenario that can accommodate three or more. 

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 04, 2017, 09:42:06 PM
I smell a AAR Section Winner coming up. Congrats on the win W8taminute. Which scenario were you playing? And give me some tips so I can win my next game.  O0

Thanks!  The scenario I was playing was the Civil War, Caesar vs. Pompey.  It's set just after Caesar conquers Gaul and finds out that back at home some dude named Pompey wants the throne. 

Some tips I can share with you that worked for me:

1. Invest early in your land clearing and other economic buildings in the early game.
2. Definitely purchase some of the cheap throw away garrison units and place them in a few key undefended cities.  They actually do fight better than the automatically spawned militia that are created when an enemy comes knocking on your city doors.
3. Hire the German mercenaries whenever you can, they are worth it at the beginning because you don't have access initially to recruiting all of the good troops.
4. Make sure your officers are assigned to units or help to provide command points to your larger armies.  Basic advice I know but I didn't pay attention to this like I should have the first 25 turns or so.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Sir Slash

That's a great scenario. And a long one. I got Ceasar well on his way to a big win before my old computer took a dump and I lost all my saved games. :'(  But I'll be back at it someday. I just finished the Third Samnite War and at first I thought it boring but the more I got into it, the more it grew on me. It's also a long one, 105 turns. The Samnite are damned tough opponents but I managed a 'Minor Victory'. Looking forward to learning more from you experts.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tuna

Quote from: W8taminute on July 05, 2017, 09:33:50 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 04, 2017, 09:40:30 PM

I'm down.

But I get up again.  LoL

Spoke with Tuna briefly last night on Steam and yes we should see if we could do a three way.  I don't think the scenario I played is possible to have more than two sides but I'll check later on and get back to you.  Otherwise we can play another scenario that can accommodate three or more. 

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 04, 2017, 09:42:06 PM

Thanks!  The scenario I was playing was the Civil War, Caesar vs. Pompey.  It's set just after Caesar conquers Gaul and finds out that back at home some dude named Pompey wants the throne. 

Some tips I can share with you that worked for me:

1. Invest early in your land clearing and other economic buildings in the early game.
2. Definitely purchase some of the cheap throw away garrison units and place them in a few key undefended cities.  They actually do fight better than the automatically spawned militia that are created when an enemy comes knocking on your city doors.
3. Hire the German mercenaries whenever you can, they are worth it at the beginning because you don't have access initially to recruiting all of the good troops.
4. Make sure your officers are assigned to units or help to provide command points to your larger armies.  Basic advice I know but I didn't pay attention to this like I should have the first 25 turns or so.

Doesn't the Caesar vs Pompey one have the Middle Eastern king (forget his name) and thus 3 sides?

Sir Slash

Yes, as well as the 'Barbarians' as a fourth power, them being pretty much any tribal group you run into anywhere if I remember correctly. The Parthians are included in most of the scenarios dealing with the larger Med. world and they can be real game-ruiners for anybody playing the eastern faction.

JasonPratt

Hmmm... perhaps we should have four players...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MetalDog

Just so this is out in the open from the beginning, I don't get AGEOd games.  I've tried a few, Civil War I and To End All Wars, and got nowhere except more confused.  I tried again with Alea Jacta Est.  This time I got it.  Mostly.  I only played the one game though.  I guess what I am getting at is, I am soooooooooooooooooooooooo n00b.  Don't mind taking my lumps if I learn something. 

Sir Slash

AJE Really fits the engine nicely. The smaller number of large armies doesn't seem to confuse the AI so much maybe and there's less of a horde of units rushing at you like To End All Wars. Still.... sometimes the AI armies seem to be able to move all over the map in one turn, carrying their supply along with them and still able to fight when they get where they are going. My forces need multiple turns to get to their destinations and then are so disrupted, they need a turn to rest before they can fight. But nothing is more frustrating than executing a perfectly laid plan and then your damned generals won't activate.  :pullhair:  Sometimes they just sit there watching the AI siege your cities and you can't do anything to stop them unless the AI decides to attack you. But still it's become my favorite AGEOD game. And you can learn a lot about Roman history playing it.

JasonPratt

This makes me wonder if the more unwieldy AGE games would play better as mp?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

W8taminute

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 05, 2017, 02:31:44 PM
Hmmm... perhaps we should have four players...

Hi Jason,

Unfortunately none of the scenarios I saw while browsing last night have options for 4 players.  Three players seems to be the max.  Would you like to start a 2 player game with me on the side?  There would be room for one more too if there is any interest.

JasonPratt

Sure! Hm, 3rd Samnite War (from Birth of Rome)?