Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

My wife and I finished Secrets of the Lost Tomb defeating the Mummy with Blue Eyes!

We will probably play another scenario before putting it up.

-budd-

Had to look this one up, board game right. Can't get my family to play anything with remotely complex rules. Good job on completion, how long did a play through take?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

airboy

Quote from: -budd- on April 11, 2020, 12:43:34 PM
Had to look this one up, board game right. Can't get my family to play anything with remotely complex rules. Good job on completion, how long did a play through take?

It was our first play so there was a lot of rules reference.  Perhaps 5 hours or so?  Next one should run 2-3 hours.

airboy

Finished Erik2's North Afrika campaign.  Rommel took Rangoon and linked up with the Japanese.

al_infierno

WHEW!  I've FINALLY finished my first campaign of Dominions 5.  Normal difficulty, medium-sized, and 4 contending factions in the Early Ages.  I picked Ermor and played as a Demilich specialized in death magic and astral magic.  Contenders were C'Tis, Xibalba, and Tien Chi.

The throne situation was a bit goofy in practice.  I set 3 thrones total -- two easy tier-1 thrones and one hard tier-3 throne -- and to win you had to take the tier-3 throne and either of the tier-1 thrones.  ALL the thrones ended up spawning next to a faction's home province, which made things interesting.   :o

Early on, things were rough.  I kicked the crap out of Tien Chi and laid siege to their capital, hoping to stab them in the heart before I take the throne next to them.  I spent months in multiple prolonged sieges that cost me my best bishops, mages, and even my Prophet-Legionnaire general - and ultimately failed.  That was about the time I figured out the throne they were guarding was the second tier-1 throne, not the tier-3 throne.   #:-)

I pivoted south and exchanged blows with C'Tis and Xibalba, spending about half the game camped out next to the final throne waiting for my moment to strike.  The C'Tis hilariously and rather pathetically attacked over and over with meager troops which gave me a good idea of how Zeus the Titan and his army of raptor riders were holding out on the Throne of Destiny.  I mobbed in with my successor Prophet-Legionnaire, hundreds of Hastati and sacred cavalry, and a crapton of summoned Fire Drakes, Wights, and other fun gooble-gobbles.  I was expecting the attack to fail horribly, actually, but I kicked Zeus's ass!   :knuppel2:  8)

C'Tis made some meager attempts to dethrone me at the last second, but the survivors of my wild assault made short work of them -- and that was that.  My prophet claimed the Throne of Destiny, and Lord Blackadder ascended to godhood.   <:-)

Maybe now I'm ready to go online and get my ass kicked for real?   :buck2:

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

Congrats to the both of you on a job well done, just like the steaks at Longhorn-- well-done.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Now that I've got my first win out of the way, I'm definitely finding it easier to consistently beat the AI on Normal.  Wonder if anyone here is up for another Grogs Dominions game...  ???
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Anguille

just completed the European Campaign as Napoleon (in Napoleon Total War)!

airboy

Quote from: Anguille on April 13, 2020, 02:57:51 PM

Congratulations!  Another good game I picked up cheap that I've not played.  On the bright side, I've not played a bad game in 2020.

Gusington

Finally finished this thread!

In its honor I also finished the 2nd chapter of Diablo III and moved in to the 3rd, which started out amazingly.

But Civ VI beckoned and I finished the tutorial there as Gilgamesh. Really enjoyed it. I am thinking Civ VI will keep me occupied for 100s of hours at least 🤓

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

WAY TO GO Anguille!  :clap:  That's one tough campaign to beat. I managed it once as Britain. Give the Peninsula Campaign DLC a look if you already haven't. It was pretty good too.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Quite the haul!  I assume you remembered to bring coats to Russia?   >:D

- MengJiao

Sir Slash

Anguille

Quote from: al_infierno on April 13, 2020, 07:01:37 PM

Quite the haul!  I assume you remembered to bring coats to Russia?   >:D
Indeed...the winter of 1807-1808 was too cold and i had to leave my armies in the cities (one from St-Petersburg and one from Kiev). Took Moscow in Spring-Summer of 1808!

Anguille

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 13, 2020, 06:43:24 PM
WAY TO GO Anguille!  :clap:  That's one tough campaign to beat. I managed it once as Britain. Give the Peninsula Campaign DLC a look if you already haven't. It was pretty good too.
I was thinking about the Peninsula Campaign as next! Way to go.

Tried Waterloo yesterday...very difficult!