Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 15, 2020, 12:24:37 PM
I think there's a PR4, too, isn't there? {checking} Ah, release date at the end of this September. (29th, Michaelmass Day!)

I forgot PR3 was upgraded in proper 3D gfx (Pat 3 isn't, it's just a patched up Pat2.) So the fleet combat differences must be between PR1 and PR2.
Port Royale 4 is going to have turn-based battles....not the same mood but could be a little more relaxing. I think battles were changed in every game, imho, the best being in Port Royale 1 where you can control the bigger number of ships.

Anguille

Just finished the US campaign in Empire: Total War on hard....i keep on playing so i can take all the Americas....Germans and British are a pain as they always bring large new armies.

Martok

Congrats, Anguille!  Weird to think of the Germans invading the New World.  (Do you mean the Prussians, by the way?)  :P 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on June 19, 2020, 02:46:43 AM
Congrats, Anguille!  Weird to think of the Germans invading the New World.  (Do you mean the Prussians, by the way?)  :P
Yes....Prussians landed in New Foundland and Labrador! I think they were allied with the British.

Historical accuracy is not the greatest aspect of that game....i also had the Swedes declare war on me!

airboy

Congratulations!  Another good game I own - unplayed.

I'm trying to gear up for a Civil War 2 game.  I have the pdf of the rules on my laptop.

Sir Slash

Great Anguille!  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Con

Finally withstood reams of rambling maddening prose to defeat all the bosses and the eldritch horrors that await you in the manor of darkest dungeon

al_infierno

Quote from: Con on June 19, 2020, 07:49:19 PM
Finally withstood reams of rambling maddening prose to defeat all the bosses and the eldritch horrors that await you in the manor of darkest dungeon

Damn, congrats dude!  That's a real achievement.   :notworthy:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Con

Quote from: al_infierno on June 19, 2020, 07:59:41 PM

Damn, congrats dude!  That's a real achievement.   :notworthy:
I had at least three complete rage quits blow it all up and start again moments. This game will drive you Cthulhu levels of insane

airboy

Wow - never heard of anyone finishing this beast.

Con

There were two things that happened to make it easier
1. There is a new mechanic where you can recover your lost trinkets from party wipes by fighting an eldritch crow that loves shiny things
2. I gave in and read all the strategy guides I could find for the manor boss fights.  Its just too painful to perma lose your party in a wipe because you had the wrong combination for a particular fight.

Anguille

Congratulions! These games are especially hard to win!

al_infierno

Darkest Dungeon definitely has a "what will I find at the end of the river" feel to it.  I agree that using a strategy guide before bumbling into new boss encounters is the ideal way to play.  I hated losing hours upon hours of progress just to find out what the game was gonna throw at me.  Even knowing what I'm up against, the boss battles still feel like a desperate fight for survival.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

FINALLY, finished the Short Campaign for M2TW as England to unlock all the other factions.  O0  Next is a Turks Campaign but I decide if I want to do vanilla or Stainless Steel 6.4. Decisions, decisions.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner