CMBS Rollin' on the River Con vs Undercover Geek AAR - Game Over

Started by Con, March 23, 2015, 07:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

Turn 63, 65, and 67

Where to begin!  This has been a very eventful three minutes filled with highs and lows.  I think I will suffer an aneurism if this tension and roller coaster ride keeps on at this pace.  If I start smelling burnt bread time to dial 911 and tell them I am stroking out!
I have combined three turns but I am going to try and deal with them one minute at a time to help you dear reader (whoever is depraved enough to be reading these AARs for the sake of some dubious pleasure) follow along with the action.

Lets start Turn 63 Time remaining 2:00
The minute starts off OK but ends like a kick to the balls.  Russian balls (and fully inflated I might add for you Patriots fans that get the joke).  The sound of rotors thumping through the still air tells me that air assets are coming into play.  Of course I already have been told that all Russian helicopters and planes have been turned into giant lawn darts so it's time to see if those Tunguska's can return the favor.  So far I haven't heard the high pitched  SSSSsscrreEEE that indicated the Apaches are coming in on their attack run but it can't be long now.  Nuts are tightening and sphincters are loosening across the entire Russian line as everyone hopes some other poor bastard is in those choppers sights.  All we need is Ride of the Valkries to start blaring over speakers and the crap will well and truly hit the fan.

Starting with the Hexenkessel my left flank at the railroad embankment.  I move my 2 MT-LBM 6M up thinking that they are facing only a Stryker with a 50cal and a Mk19. armed Stryker that is facing the wrong way.  Easy pickins right.....no wrong wrong wrong.  The 50 cal disables the first MT-LBM 6M with the driver bailing out of the immobilized vehicle.  I will make sure that the Main intelligence Directorate will hear about this disgraceful abandonment of expensive Russian Military hardware.   Then auto grenade fire takes out the second MT-LBM 6M blasting into the drivers compartment with a shower of sparks it grinds to a halt KO.  Neither AFV ever saw their killers.  This little corner of the battlefield has become a Russian graveyard of dead bodies (mostly only bits of bodies) and burning AFVs.  Between the KO burning vehicles and the smoke discharges  (and a potential WP barrage) that area is smokier than a Grateful Dead concert.  One other interesting thing to note is that I have been seeing explosions occurring on and over the US forces.  Its not coming from me so I suspect that he UCG has been dropping a couple of arty rounds short.  Alternatively he might be finding out that those helicopter pilots live by the motto shoot first and never ask questions.

During this action I continue to push forward with my platoon section and RPG section in the middle against UCG left flank.  I know there are US troops loitering about like delinquent teenagers somewhere there.  I also send over an additional MT-LBM 6M a solitary HQ support soldier and a three man A team left from 3rd squad to support them.  Lucky I did since the Americans open up and seriously wound 2 of the 1st squad and one of the RPG gunners.  However as they focus on them the 3rd squad team blazes away at the US forces and annihilates them.

Not all the action takes place at the railroad embankment.  The recon team now down to only LT Nageav sees a three man US recon section running into the building in front of them.  In desperation I bring the BRDM-2M up to where it can see that building since I expect the US troops to hole up in there.  With a bit of luck I might be able to get them with the 14.5mm MG.

The final situation is looking a bit grim but I do have plenty of reinforcements so perhaps I can still get things to swing my way.  I send some more infantry reinforcements from the center group to whats left of my left flank.  I order the Saxhorn ATG up closer to the embankment hoping the smoke will give him some cover.  I bring the AGS 30 Grenade launcher up to the railway line in the middle to provide support to the left flank.  Reinforcements in 2 AFVs from the village continue to sweep fast to my far right flank.  Maybe I should direct them to the middle instead?

Con

Turn 065 Time remaining 01:59

Not too much in the way of death and destruction this turn.  At the weather-station the BRDM 2M slowly moves into position to shoot the small low slung concrete shack that the US recon team entered mere moments earlier.  Proving that in combat as in comedy timing is everything those sneaky recon soldiers had beat feet out of there without stopping and had run into the base of the weather station.  The poor BRDM 2M never saw them leave and dutifully following orders began to futilely blow holes in the empty cement shack.  The US recon guys under no pressure calmly fired from inside the weather station and brewed up the BRDM 2M.

However this is not the end for our brave heroes.  Lt Nagaeve observing his -1 leadership rating decides to panic and tries to make a break for it.  Running down the musty stairs of the weatherstation he comes across the US three man recon unit with their backs to him.  They are loudly celebrating their recent BRDM kill and dont hear Lt Nagaeve screaming like a little pre teen girl as he pounds down the steps.  He pauses to empty his clip at them killing one and continues running out the door.  Now if he had stayed and finished the job he might have had a better chance but the surviving members of the US recon team cut him down before he even takes 10 steps.  Let us all please observe a moment of silence because despite his bad leadership Lt. Nagaeve still put a licking on UCG troops and AFVs that they will remember for a long time!

Action is now taking place on the far right.  One of the Kornet ATGM spots a low slung shape working its way across the woods.  He spots and fires and away goes the missile.  His target an M1128 Mobile Gun System (MGS) Stryker.  The turn ends with the missile still in flight.  Will it connect?

Closeup of the MGS Stryker

Railway embankment situation takes a short breather this turn as I sort out my troops and start planning their next locations.  Push the HQ lone guy out to some isolated trees to get LOS on those damn strykers that are chewing up my left flank.  Consolidate the remaining troops and AFVS and continue to push against the US left flank.  Keep the reinforcements from the village going towards the right flank (where the Tunguska is located).  I continue to see explosions taking place in the Hexenkessel on my left flank but they are not coming from me so I can only hope that some Southern Good ole boy with itchy trigger finger is thinning the Us forces for me.  The helicopter sounds are getting more ominous so I move my Tunguskas away from where they were hugging the buildings into a more open area.  I dont know if this makes any difference in the game but it is what I would do in the real world to give the AA radars a better chance of acquiring targets.

Right Flank Tunguska

Left Flank Plan

Con

Too late now to write up the last turn but stay tuned its a doozy

Con

Con

Turn 067 Time Remaining 1:58
This is the turn where I realize that UCG has not been reading the modern warfare manual.  In a move of either brilliance or utter madness UCG has thrown the kitchen sink at my right flank.   Is he going to be the dashing and daring Patton or will the US forces follow the 7th Cavalry and UCG channels his inner Custer.....time will tell.

First let's see if the Kornet ATGM finds it mark.  With a deafening whoosh the missile tracks in unerringly on the unsuspecting M1128 Stryker MGS.  A massive detonation takes place but no penetration or smoke is seen rising from the Stryker...could it have survived?  After a long 15 seconds or so the Styrker is shown as KO.  I surmise that maybe the missile detonated early (probably APS or some tree branches) but was so close that the blast still was able to kill the Stryker. 

The chopper sounds get deafeningly loud and first one then two then three and for good measure a fourth SAM lifts off of three Tunguskas.  All SAM rapidly rise up and track towards the same spot in the sky.   I count four explosions but none of the Tunguskas list a kill.  I suspect that they got something because I hear multiple explosions but I don't see any debris or smoke normally associated with a downed air asset that would indicate that they took an Apache out of the sky.  I will have to listen for the Chopper sounds next turn to see if it is still circling.  As a precaution I will need to move all my Tunguskas about 50meters to prevent them becoming casualties from any precision munitions if UCG has drones or other air assets that can spot them.

Back to the far right flank where the biggest surprise of the encounter so far awaits me.  With a frenzied scamper US forces cross in front of the Tunguska that has been laying in wait up there.  It opens up with its dual 30mm HE and while not killing any of the US MG element that ran across the railroad I bet everyone of them will need a new change of underwear.

With 5 seconds left more US forces in the shape of Mk19 Stryker rumble across the railway.  The Tunguska is merciless and no amount of reactive armor can save the Stryker as its armor is blasted away and it is turned into a blazing twisted ruin.  No one climbs out as the smell of burning  flesh now joins the other horrors of this corner of the Ukraine.

With a growing sense of disbelief I realize that my HQ element that I had sent to some trees outside of the embankment area to spot for the left flank was now spotting two additional Strykers (1 a Mk19 and 1 a 50cal)plus associated infantry squads on my RIGHT flank just opposite my Tunguska.  The turn ends just as these are spotted.  My Kornet ATGM also spot two Stryker M1064A3s (Mortar versions) located far back in the fields behind the embankment.  Unfortunately they are moving too fast for me to get a shot off at them.

This changes everything with the forces facing me on the embankment UCG must have committed his main attack onto this objective.   This cant be a feint to draw my forces away its too much.  I reread the mission briefing and as usual its very economical with the truth.  "A long motor column their forward elements have probably reached your operating area [no shit] Intelligence indicates they belong to the 5th Stryker Brigade Combat team." 

Here is what I suspect I am facing in part or in support at the embankment objective
A Company Stryker
1st Infantry Platoon  in 4 Strykers (right flank)
2nd Infantry  platoon in 4 Strykers (left flank)
3rd Infantry Platoon in 4 Strykers...not Observed yet
1MGS section (3 Strykers) (support located near weather station)
Recon Section (typically 2 Strykers) Already on the embankment
Mortar Section (2 Strykers) supporting in the field behind the embankment
1 HQ/Fire support  (2 Strykers) mixed up could this be the first kill by the river crossing railroad bridge?

Update to the Plan
I am facing way more opposition at the embankment than planned for.  I order the Tunguska to beat it fast away from this spot to try and get some distance from the US forces that made it to the other side.  I stop the 2 MT-LBM-6Ms to stop and dismount infantry.  I would rather they are out of their tracks even though we haven't gotten to the edge of the woods.  I pivot the center force away from the left flank to the right flank.  I might be able to creep the MT-LBM-6M to the edge of the woods where they might be able to get shots off at the right flank Strykers.   I need to pull even more forces away from the extreme left flank and the village where I was worried UCG might do a river crossing.   I need some tanks!

BloodBoard at this time point
Russian                  US
5 MT-LBM 6M               6 Inf/HQ/Recon Strykers         
3 BRDM-2M               1 MGS Stryker

My Right Flank SitRep

Overall Embankment Plan

Con

Turn 069 1:58 remaining

Finally a turn that I can catch my breath.

No one died, no explosions, whistling death unexpected surprises etc.
The Tunguska makes it out of the woods alive and continues trundling away from the embankment to a nearby woods ridgeline.  Troops disembark from the far right MT-LBM 6Ms and deploy in the sunflower fields.
I start pulling more troops from my extreme left flank to reinforce the right.  A peaceful minute in what has been a very draining war so far!

Con

Turn 071 1:57 remaining

I got cocky and paid the price.

Not much happening except my own stupidity.  I got too caught up in thinking i could maybe get a shot at the Strykers on the far right flank.  If I moved one of my MT-LBM 6Ms to where the HQ unit spotted them (reversing him so he kept facing the right flank) I should be able to whack one or two of those Strykers in the rear as the troops dismount.  It was too tempting a target and I bit on the bait like a leopard on a wounded baby gazelle.  Of course what I forgot was that that the reason I had originally sent the HQ unit to that location was to spot the units on the LEFT flank.  They (US forces) had no problem spotting my MT-LBM 6M and proceeded to give it a very stern talking too...with 40mm HE grenades from multiple directions.  Ugh...

In other action two Tunguskas from the extreme right and extreme left cut loose with their dual 30mm HE at a target in the sky.  Since they used their guns and no sound were heard for planes/choppers I am assuming that they were firing at a drone.  I hope they got the bastard cause eyes in the sky make a huge difference for the US.

The far right Tunguska can spot into the woods and I order him to call in arty (mortars) in a line along the woods line.  It is sooo much longer (7 minutes) compared to the US on call fire that can be dropping on you in 2-4 minutes.

My concern is that I have gotten pushed out of the woods thus allowing his Javelins to setup in there and potentially have a very happy time picking off my T90 reinforcements when they finally arrive.  Lets hope the arty gets there before the tanks do.

Sitrep

Con

Turn 073 time remaining 01:56

Most of the turn is quiet.  I continue to re-position the troops, taking more infantry from the village and the extreme left flank to help throw against the embankment eventually.  In the last 5 seconds my lone HQ soldier from 2nd Platoon Lt Isotomin spots a US soldier toting a javelin come up opposite him.  Aha I think here is UCG already bringing up those javelins to try and whack any reinforcements I bring over to the embankment.
Lt. Isotomin might have a+2 leadership rating but he obviously spent too much time on the books at the academy and not on the range.  Despite unloading his entire clip of Kalashnikov rounds at the javelin gunner he didn't hit him at all.  The turn ends with javelin gunner cowering against the gravel of the embankment.   Hopefully Lt. Isotomin gets his act together and picks off this missileer next turn. 

JasonPratt

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who likes to use the term "missileer".  :coolsmiley: O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Con

Turn 075 time remaining 01:55

"Fool me once shame on me.  Fool me twice watch it I am HUGE!"  Bonus points for anyone who can name the game and character that this quote comes from.

But it is true I have been fooled, now I need to make sure I am not fooled again.

Lt. Isotomin tries to kill the javelin ATGM but is instead mortally felled by infantry small arms fire coming from further left of the embankment.  The javelin now fires at my MT-LBM 6M located a little off the embankment.  I hadn't thought that UCG would target the AFV with the javelin.  (Later in the turn for a brief couple of seconds I spot another javelin missileer closer to the MT-LBM 6M).  Either way one of the Javelins fired by either of these troopers flew unerringly towards it victim and slagged that MT-LBM 6M into a twisted wreck sitting at the bottom of a crater. I have now lost both AFVs that I had pushed over the embankment onto the US side.  Javelins are just wicked.  Well played UCG.....well played.

Individual arty rounds now start impacting near the center group.  I suspect the M1064A3s mortar Strykers are ranging in on them. (doing a little additional digging it's probably not M1064A3s I think it may be an M1129 since these Strykers fire their mortars through the top of vehicle which matches the one I spotted).

Not all goes UCG way however.  My Kornet ATGM gunner spots another Stryker a new variant.  This is like bird watching except its a lot more lethal.  The Stryker is a Red, White and Blue banded M1134 ATGM version (very rare)!.  I bet UCG let out a screech like a howler monkey when it brewed up.  Interestingly the Kornet ATGM had to fire two missiles at it since he guided the first one into the ground.

Hope they didnt owe anyone any money since no one gets out of this one alive

I need to maneuver my spotter and the recon group extreme left to see if they can get some sort of spotting onto the railway embankment.  Time for them to start bringing arty fire down on the US forces that are milling around in those woods.

I went back and checked the range of the Kornet ATGM shot that KO the M1134 Stryker = 1,513meters.  Turns out the Kornet has an 8,000 meter range and rides a laser beam so not wire guided.  No wonder the US tankers fear these things.

Con

I just wanted to check are people enjoying these AAR from UCG and myself?  Is it OK do you want more or are people more like this is Meh?

Thanks
Conrad

Barthheart

Con

Turn 077 Time remaining 01:54

Not much to report this turn.  I maneuver my last scratch force of dismounted AFV drivers and gunners on my left flank.  I don't hold out a lot of hope for them doing much but maybe they will surprise UCG US forces if they do a fool hardy rush over the embankment.   My auto grenade launchers in the middle see more US forces hot footing it over the embankment on the right flank.  Unfortunately they had not completed setting up the grenade launcher and the US troops moved so fast that they didn't get any shots off on them.  120mm Mortar fire is going to start in about 4 minutes though on the right flank so hopefully that will catch them unaware.

Con

Turn 079 Time Remaining 01:53

Uh Oh....about 45 seconds apart two Tunguskas one on the far right and one on the far left let rip into the cool misty air with their dual 30mm.  This time I hear the screech of helicopters as well.  Time to tighten the helmets we are about to get another run at us from most likely some Apaches.

The poor scratch group of left over crews on the left flank get sweept away from the disciplined and overwhelming firepower of the US forces.  I now have nothing but a single AT missile unit cowering on the left.  I have totally seceded the left embankment to UCG.  Its not as bad as it seems we have almost two hours left to play I still have tank reinforcements arriving, Infantry in the village and I know where he is. 
Turns out my Saxhorn HQ unit can weasel a line of sight very close to the top of the left embankment.  I call for 120mm mortar fire in a circular patter anti personnel.  It will take at least 7 minutes.  I wish I had found this units LOS earlier but oh well.  Calling arty so it arrives on time is more art than science, but I sure do miss how fast the US forces could call it in.  Almost all the US units can call in anything with times typically between 4 to 8 minutes.  That is just an awesome force multiplier for the US player.
In the center I hear lots of AFV noises.  I think 3 Platoon maybe arriving
3 more minutes (and spotting time) before arty lands on the right embankment.