Under African Skies (2017) - a CMANO AAR

Started by undercovergeek, May 12, 2015, 10:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Con

Hi UCG

Where did you get the scenario Under African Skies

I dont see it in the Scenario community pack or any of the ones that come with the game and the updates?

Thanks
Con

undercovergeek

Errr thats a good question

If you want I can drop it in the CMBS dropbox

undercovergeek

Almost immediately the French TF launches 2 groups of 4 Tiger attack helicopters, they head east toward the coast. It seems as theyre allied with me but not under my control i can share there intel, and various surface contacts appear just off the eastern Nigerian coast. The Tigers and their TF gradually get enough info to report that these are oil platforms, property of the CWA, the tigers display weapon solutions on the platforms and carry on in.

Further east off the Cameroon/Nigeria border a couple of radar contacts show up out to sea. After a few minutes these turn out to be Chinese helicopters doing their own ASW. Im alerted to the possibility of a Chinese surface group nearby, and indeed a few minutes later unconfirmed surface contacts are reported by the Tigers about 80 miles to their east. I order the USS Helena on a series of sprint and stealth waypoints, sprint as deep as possible for 10 miles, come up to shallow for a mile and creep, wash/rinse/repeat as the sub makes its way toward the new Chinese surface contacts.

I order the US TF to launch its 4 MQ8B Fire Support drones, theyre launched as a group and will split into 4 seperate units spread equally between the French TF and the Cameroon border when closer, theyre at 20000 ft and 115 knots.

After 10 minutes of operations the briefing for Oregon Rain is received. In short, offensive operations can commence at 7:00am, its 6:10 now. Establish air superioty over the CWA and conduct SEAD/DEAD against CWA SAM targets. I am to steer clear of Port Harcourt and the adjacent airport to the east, near the French TFs area of ops as its occupied by the Chinese. Positive ID must be achieved on all SAM targets as the Chinese have a number across the country, it is believed all S2 will be CWA, anything more dangerous is likely to be Chinese. I have a green light on all the airfields apart from Harcourt. Both the CWA and Chinese are flying J7 derivatives, i am to destroy all CWA air forces without tangling with the Chinese, again positive ID is a must before firing. When it turns dark i will also receive orders for dropping supplies to the tangent teams behind enemy lines.

Across the map are CWA air, naval and army HQ buildings that are to be destroyed but caution needs to be taken as Chinese troops and equipment is near enough to receive  collateral damage, its open season on the CWA oil wells and above all, do not engage with the Chinese.

Shortly after the briefing the Chinese surface group contacts begin to firm up, there are more ASW helicopters above the TF.

The French tigers are still heading toward the oilfields

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Go, you cheesy winey tigers, goooo! {please don't start WW3}{please don't start WW3}{please don't eat all the helpless targets}
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

I could be wrong but didn't Baloogan run this scenario on his live feed once?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

After a few more minutes of approach the two French Tiger teams split off, one team heads for an oil platform to the right, one to the left and they launch their hellfires into the oil fields. At the same time a CWA TF appears off the coast of Lagos to the north, it is made up of 2 coast guard cutters and a frigate, it is well within range of the UK TF but there is still 30 minutes to go before offensive operations can begin. I slow the UK TF right down and steer them a little to the west of the CWA so they can keep tabs but stay at the limit of the CWAs radar.

The two drilling platforms go up in smoke, one team of Tigers peels off to the west for a strike on another one and the other team heads further toward land toward another contact. To the east the Chinese TF turns out to be 2 Corvettes, 2 Guided Missile Frigates and a Guided Missile Destroyer. They are steaming at 25 knots towards the oil fields and are about 75 miles out. I steer the HMS Ambush on a route that takes them within 10 miles of the TF, they go deep and stalk the Chinese just in case.

With a growing sense of alarm it appears that the right hand team of Tigers has targetted a Chinese tanker, the Changjiang Zhi Guang. 150, 000 tonnes and 310 metres long, shes full of crude oil and heading out to sea...... and 8 Hellfires are heading straight towards her. Only afterwards will analysts be able to tell whether this was intentional or accidental, but as the the missiles start to impact on the tanker preloaded CWA sam launchers on the coast let loose a volley of missiles toward the Tigers. At exactly the same time 2 surface to air search radars come on in Lagos looking for any targets around the Murtala Muhammed Airport they guard.

3 of the Tigers go down immediately to the SAMs, the remaining 5 head back to their TF with a stream of enemy missiles coming in from the coast. Incoming vampire warnings go off and radars show 12 missiles heading northeast from the middle of the sea straight for the French TF, there must be a Chinese sub out here, maybe 40 miles northwest of the Ambush. Another 10 missiles are launched from the coast behind the burning oil platforms and blazing tanker, this time surface to surface, heading for the French TF. The French TF bursts into life, the ships spread out at high speed and the helicopters aim for the rear of the TF. In total 25 Crotale missiles are launched by the French, 15 toward the incoming vampires form the coast and 10 toward the sub launched missiles, and a few seconds later 8 more towards the sub ones. Its a tense time as the missiles approach other, all but one of the Tigers goes down to the missiles tracking them.

2 Bogeys begin crossing the skies from west to east heading from Port Harcourt to Lagos, theyre very weak contacts and I cant tell yet whether theyre commercial, military, CWA or Chinese. As it happens the Chinese designation doesnt seem to matter as a few seconds later im notified the Chinese are to be considered hostile, they turn red on the radar and **** just got real!

The French missiles take down all of the incoming enemy vampires, there must have been a huge sigh of relief on board the TF, right up until 12 more are launched off the coast and 5 can be tracked coming in from the south east - the Chinese TF enters the war.

Sir Slash

The French! Always starting shit they can't finish. Just like Russia in 1812 and Waterloo. ;D Looks like you'll have to pull their nuts out of the blender Geek.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

OJsDad

Nah, that was their plan to pull the US/UK into a fight with the Chinese.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

I told him to sink the French first :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

To be fair, he didn't have time to take them out. 

undercovergeek

Quote from: OJsDad on May 15, 2015, 02:24:45 PM
To be fair, he didn't have time to take them out.

Or the ability - I don't think I can fire on allies

Staggerwing

The French got Fried early on during Baloogan's play through as well. With them out of your control there is probably no other way for the scenario to roll at that point.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys