'Adventure' 2600 game was action-adventure prototype

Started by MetalDog, June 10, 2015, 10:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Adventure.  The first action adventure game for consoles was terrible to look at.  Your 'hero' was a square.  The bad dragons looked an awful lot like ducks.  It was almost impossible to find the grey dot that let you into the secret room.  Wait...what?!  There was a secret room?!!?!!!??!  There sure was.  I remember finding it after my best friend told me about it and how to do it.  I thought I was King S*IT when I finally found it!  Who knew something that primitive would one day lead to games like Skyrim?

https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/duck-dragons-and-easter-eggs--how--adventure--changed-gaming-002808828.html
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

SirAndrewD

I can close my eyes and play this game with muscle memory.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Nefaro

I have some fond memories of Telengard as one of my earliest Adventure RPGs that actually had some 'RPG' mechanics in it.   Probably best categorized as a Roguelike, of course.

Capn Darwin

Earlier and better, Tunnels of Doom on the Ti-99/4A. Had levels, multiple characters, aim and shoot mechanics for spells and bows, sound. A game that was not eclipsed in my opinion until Ultimate 4. It was a lot of fun back in the day.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: MetalDog on June 10, 2015, 10:10:33 PM
Adventure.  The first action adventure game for consoles was terrible to look at. 

Speak for yourself! I was quite taken by the bland, simple graphics. My imagination 'saw' a lot more than those blocks and ducks showed.

'Course today, I can do nothing but agree with you! But back then, that game was the stuff.

I remember the Easter Egg too...heard about it from a friend. The documentary on Netflix about the ET 2600 cartridge (Atari: Game Over) mentions it briefly. (Fantastic documentary, highly recommend it.)

Jarhead0331

Sorry to say, these archaic games never did anything for me. Even back in the day. I would say no dungeon crawler type game ever got me involved until Legend of Zelda.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Tunnels of Doom never did anything for you, JH?? I find that very hard to believe.

We're talking about a procedurally generated 99 level dungeon (took five to seven minutes to save or load a game from cassette tape! -- so save games were super-important), with a four person-party walking around it in 3D, dropping to a turn-based tactical overhead map game with sprites and sounds during the fights -- it had pretty much everything the first Gold Box SSI D&D game had, except many years earlier (minus a complex story, and the relative graphical advances of course, but plus a procedurally generated dungeon).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

And yes I recall the Atari 2600 "Adventure". :D Which I never once thought of as an adventure, as it was simply missing too many things. I got to where I could beat the main game pretty reliably. Can't recall where I learned about the secret room -- from a magazine I'm pretty sure -- but I found it, too.

The first adventure I ever played with actual characters (beyond the parties) and stories (which ToD didn't really have, but the procedural dungeon went far in my brother and I making up stories), was I think the Phantasie trilogy. I never played Ultima (it didn't exist for the C64, or if it did it was nowhere I could get it) until years after I got my first DOS PC, and then I've only ever played (and beat) Ultima 8.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Telengard. Good God, that's been awhile. I remember my excitement when I upgraded from my boxy Atari to a Commodore 64, then to a Commodore 128 years later.

Seems like a good thread to drop this in: Anyone here read "Ready Player One"? I just finished it and it was a really fun read. Turns out some cat named Spielberg is turning it into a movie as well. Not to be taken too seriously, the book is worth your time just for the pure enjoyment of nerd nostalgia overload.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9969571-ready-player-one
http://deadline.com/2015/03/ready-player-one-movie-steven-spielberg-ernest-cline-warner-bros-1201398299/

FlickJax

Quote from: Gusington on June 11, 2015, 08:08:07 AM
Ti 994a...good Lord.

I wanted one of them but mum and dad got me a vic20 instead :)

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 11, 2015, 07:41:28 AM
I never played Ultima (it didn't exist for the C64, or if it did it was nowhere I could get it) until years after I got my first DOS PC, and then I've only ever played (and beat) Ultima 8.

Not sure if the original Ultima was on C64, but the sequels definitely were.  I certainly recall playing some of the early Ultimas on there (III, IV?).  They had some pretty fancy booklets, cloth map, etc in the game box which really didn't give much info on the finer details.

FarAway Sooner

I know the original Ultima was played on the Atari 400, because my best friend had it, but I have no memories playing the original title on my C-64.  Ultima 2 and Ultima 3, however were most certainly on it.  The first PC game I owned was Temple of Ashai for the C-64, which just didn't seem quite as cool as the sequel, Hellfire Warrior, which I'd played on my best friend's TRS-80.  His dad was a math teacher, the lucky guy!

Temple of Apshai was OK, Hellfire Warrior was better, but Epyx really hit their stride with Crush, Crumble & Chomp.  Man I loved being a flying robot who spewed radioactive waste all over the city.  Or a Kraken darting around the waterfront, grabbing civilians and eating them before sneaking up on unsuspecting Army units too close to the water!

I think the first vaguely wargamish thing I played was Cosmic Balance.  You designed ships, had firing arcs for all your different weapon types, etc.  I recall the game being lacking in play-balance (all the weapons sucked but Siege Phazers and Proton Torpedoes), but it was cool!

BanzaiCat

I had a Vic-20 too...our first 'family' PC. Had a cartridge to add a whopping 4K of memory to it! And eventually, a cassette drive.

My first computer that was mine was a TRS-80 model III. It was a big day when on my next b-day my grandfather took it to get the memory upped to 64K and have a 5.25" floppy drive installed! Before that I could only play around and then had to lose everything when I turned it off. I ended up buying a LOT of BASIC programming books to enter the code and play the games. All that constant entering and typing made me a fast typist today.

I also had a Commodore PC back in the late 80s/very early 90s. Had VGA graphics but the monitor was B&W. A very weird computer (I had never heard of Commodore making PCs but it ultimately made sense considering the market at the time). I loved that computer even though I had to look at B&W graphics...my first Civ game was on it, as was Empire, the Buck Rogers games (like the Gold Box D&D games), and many other firsts.

FarAway Sooner