'Nostalgia Lovers' here is an 80s style game now with [Roguelike] elements

Started by gameleaper, June 17, 2015, 04:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8neyfvrq8eh7rw/3DRetroPrivateer77withSource.zip?dl=0

Ive made a completely mouse driven or keyboard driven version with source, you can now play on a tablet or Laptop easily with the new dashboard

spacebar on the new keypad, stoped the keypad working when you wasn't supposed to press it, fixed now

Turn-based 3D/2D Really retro! space adventure with new 3D Combat

its a 3D update to privateer I did really retro I mean really retro

I loved this game don't know why, really interesting things in it

could some kind grogy grog try the download link, I hope its working?

gameleaper

gameleaper

how can you older guys resist a free RETRO -  TURN-BASED game :) once the links gone its gome get it fast.

this is just a shameless bump,

gameleaper

Ive made a completely mouse driven or keyboard driven version with source, you can now play on a tablet or Laptop easily with the new dashboard

spacebar on the new keypad, stoped the keypad working when you wasn't supposed to press it, fixed now

great news grognard.com liked the game and are gosting it, they check it properly so safe to download. as you know grognard is a famous wargame site and only good stuff gets on there

Boggit

It's not really my cup of tea, but I appreciate you making it freely available to the community. Thanks, Gameleaper. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

gameleaper

Quote from: Boggit on June 20, 2015, 12:24:19 PM
It's not really my cup of tea, but I appreciate you making it freely available to the community. Thanks, Gameleaper. :)

I know its not everybodies brew, its so retro only an oldtimer may find it of interest, but its the sort of game I like to find on the net for free, and its quit interesting if you get past the graphics.

gameleaper

Ok Ive slapped on a KeyPad for mouse control, but the Menu is still Keyboard, AND Ive INCLUDED SOURCE CODE FOR YOU GUYS TO PLAY WITH

it has a 3d combat cockpit turn based first person shooter

its completely free and huw , it can be compiled on LINUX with blitzmax(blitzmax is now free), but remember to set the build to not do a debug or it will fail, also bear in mind it takes a long time to compile on Linux.

gameleaper

gameleaper

just done a graphic update the levels on ship are now coloured from red to green to warn of low levels

gameleaper

https://www.dropbox.com/s/to0qfcoml1hf71r/3DRetroPrivateer74withSource.zip?dl=0

Ive added new scaners long range, short range, close range, new graphics, its practicaly a new game

gameleaper

new ship sensors, Menu control system,3 Map Zoom levels, basically a new game. new pit sensor too

Swatter

This place is like an AARP convention sometimes, but that doesn't make these geezers cheap. Its not about being free, its about time investment. Do you create games that people want to learn and invest time in? If yes, then keep on trucking. If no, you might consider a different approach.

Why is it you don't move on to Unity or something similar? You realize that it is probably easier and more time efficient in the long run? Once you get the hang of it, your just attaching scripts to objects. Its freaking easy. Not only that, for a few dollars here and a few dollars there, you can buy plug-ins that literally save hundreds of hours of work.

You obviously like to make games and I have seem some potentially cool ideas, but most people don't want to play games from 1980.

gameleaper

Quote from: Swatter on November 12, 2015, 10:15:07 PM
This place is like an AARP convention sometimes, but that doesn't make these geezers cheap. Its not about being free, its about time investment. Do you create games that people want to learn and invest time in? If yes, then keep on trucking. If no, you might consider a different approach.

Why is it you don't move on to Unity or something similar? You realize that it is probably easier and more time efficient in the long run? Once you get the hang of it, your just attaching scripts to objects. Its freaking easy. Not only that, for a few dollars here and a few dollars there, you can buy plug-ins that literally save hundreds of hours of work.

You obviously like to make games and I have seem some potentially cool ideas, but most people don't want to play games from 1980.

swatter you give good advise, but I'm from the 80s and I really only like making retro stuff its my style, I'm not out to make money or become famouse, all I try to do is giveaway for free my projects, if nobody wants em well that's that,

gog are making a fortune out of the 80s, and we all buy em, I suppose swatter your young and the First RPGs etc are not in your phyci as muxh, But If I was looking for a free game I would like to find games like mine.

and when I say old-timers I just know the gamers on here are from the 80s more than anywhere else they adore nostalgia

swatter If you like unity , maybe you should try it or show us a free unity project,or show us where free unity games are to be downloaded. I think unity is bloated and your game would be 100s of MBs and no one would download it, my games are under 1MB, so unity fails there too, if I had a 200mb game I couldn't even store it online for download in a safe place, no host would help host a big file, so I would have nobody downloading my games, unless I paid for a server. I cant remember anybody saying here is my unity game download for free.

all the assets in unity are paid addons, even when they say free its only as long as you don't charge. unity is a good way to program, but only if you have a game company to sell your work

gameleaper

Ive updated my 80s style game, it now has a roguelike emergency space jump to unknown systems, but they can be good or bad, pirate controlled or dying, or even new sytyems. but anybody not wanting a nostalgic 80s none unity game please ignore, :) sorry swatter I do hope you one day will tryout a game

Swatter

Quote from: gameleaper on November 12, 2015, 11:35:58 PM
Quote from: Swatter on November 12, 2015, 10:15:07 PM

swatter you give good advise, but I'm from the 80s and I really only like making retro stuff its my style, I'm not out to make money or become famouse, all I try to do is giveaway for free my projects, if nobody wants em well that's that,

gog are making a fortune out of the 80s, and we all buy em, I suppose swatter your young and the First RPGs etc are not in your phyci as muxh, But If I was looking for a free game I would like to find games like mine.

and when I say old-timers I just know the gamers on here are from the 80s more than anywhere else they adore nostalgia

swatter If you like unity , maybe you should try it or show us a free unity project,or show us where free unity games are to be downloaded. I think unity is bloated and your game would be 100s of MBs and no one would download it, my games are under 1MB, so unity fails there too, if I had a 200mb game I couldn't even store it online for download in a safe place, no host would help host a big file, so I would have nobody downloading my games, unless I paid for a server. I cant remember anybody saying here is my unity game download for free.

all the assets in unity are paid addons, even when they say free its only as long as you don't charge. unity is a good way to program, but only if you have a game company to sell your work

I do like Unity and recommend it from experience. I was simply offering advice because you are practically begging people to play your projects. Anyone can find a thousand reasons not to do something, that's fine with me. If you want to make games for yourself, that's fine with me. On the other hand, if you want other people to play your games that's a different ballgame. If you want other people to enjoy your creativity and hard work you need to listen to feedback. I am not the first person to mention UI to you. Most people like to think nostalgically, but that doesn't mean they are breaking out their old Zork games. People want cool little games from the 80s and 90s, but (and I can't stress this enough) wrapped in a modern UI. I can't tell you how many times I hear these geezers crying about Age of Rifles and how nobody has remade it. They don't want Age of Rifles 1990 style, the want Age of Rifles 2015 style with fonts big as big as Selma Hayek's bust.

Take for example the guy who just made the 7 Years War game. His game looks pretty deep, but the graphics want to make people rip their eyes out. My point is that graphics and UI are just as important as gameplay. Nobody is going to see how cool your games are if you come crashing down at the first hurdle. If you really want other people to enjoy your games, you really need to take their wants into consideration.