15 Hours Until 7 Years War!

Started by Jarhead0331, October 29, 2015, 08:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

I read the price as a sign of a realistic indy developer who recognizes he won't sell many copies of a very niche historical game at $30 or $40. Seems like there's easily $20 of content here.

I similarly think Double Trouble was smart pricing Rebel Galaxy at $20 -- a price that will attract curious players who think, "what the hell, it's only $20" and then hopefully be pleasantly surprised at the quality (as I was).

Toonces

@ JH, what I meant is that I don't find Total War-type games (real time battles) relaxing at all.

But CK2 is relaxing enough, which this kind of sounds like. 

Regardless, sounds like a neat game, but I'm not keen on managing cities.  I like more stabby stabby.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Grim.Reaper

Interesting the game uses old graphics library like directx 7... Has me a little concerned if we will work....Hmmm...what to do.

Swatter

tgb

Still on the fence on this one.  It's going to take a let's play by someone good like thehistoricgamer to give a real feel if this is for me or not.

Jarhead0331

A patch was released today. UI text has been enlarged a bit.

Had planned on playing this more over the weekend, unfortunately, I was not aware that Falcon BMS 4.33 had been released, so that has been taking up most of my PC game time.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

I took the plunge and bought this.  Only played for 30 minutes.  I'm not sure if I played with the patch that enlarges the UI because I am having trouble reading the text on the ingame tool tips and pop up windows.  Nevertheless my initial impression of this game is good.  I think there is a deep game underneath the hood and I look forward to figuring this one out even if it is with the aid of a magnifying glass.  (I'm getting to old.   :-[ )
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Swatter

I was watching the latest YouTube video and am somewhat impressed. It is also a good sign that two people on the forum have already said the game has some depth. Let's hope the AI is up to the challenge, this area is my greatest fear. If the AI can't properly handle the strategic aspects of the game, everything else is just window dressing. I so loved everything about Empire: Total War, except for the strategic AI (which ruins everything else in the end).

Lets hope this is different!

keppelmueller

hi folks, may i introduce myself, i am oliver, the developer of this game.

here is my youtube playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbPafvWljII1U6CrAVk4YoX_kRcZsw9RQ
(don't mind about the older videos, graphics have been enhanced since then)

if you take a look to the tutorials you may get a sense of the game depth:
www.thesevenyearswar.com/tutorials.htm

and don't mind about rts - you can always pause the game and give orders. but rts gives a lot of nice features, like cutting enemy supply lines with faster detachments  O0

keppelmueller

hi guys,

may i introduce myself, i am oliver, the developer of this game.

here is a link to my playlist:
(don't mind the older videos - graphics have been enhanced since then)

if you would like to get a sense of game depth, read the tutorial overview:
http://thesevenyearswar.com/tutorials.htm

and don't mind about rts - you can always pause the game and give orders. but rts in this case is a nice feature - e.g. cutting enemy supply lines with fast detachments  O0

keppelmueller

hi guys,

may i introduce myself, i am oliver, the developer of this game.

here is a link to my playlist:
(don't mind the older videos - graphics have been enhanced since then)

if you would like to get a sense of game depth, read the tutorial overview:
http://thesevenyearswar.com/tutorials.htm

and don't mind about rts - you can always pause the game and give orders. but rts in this case is a nice feature - e.g. cutting enemy supply lines with fast detachments  O0

undercovergeek

Grim.Reaper

First, I do appreciate when small developers pour their soul into creating a game and making it available to the rest of us.....no doubt I don't have the talent for it myself.  I don't have a ton of time invested in the game yet (partially because of my concerns below), but on the surface this one needs some care and feeding before it will make it in my game play rotation.  The game itself from a strategy and depth perspective may be very good, but seems like I will have to fight through all the other stuff to discover it....and I am not even a graphic/UI fanatic.  Some other folks have already raised some similar concerns, but here are mine nonetheless.

I have no plans to get a refund since I am intrigued as to where the developer takes the game and I even believe he has released 3-4 patches already so really does seem committed.  I also don't mind supporting someone in this type of niche market

- I know tutorials exist but even with those the lack of a good manual/information will make it tough to understand the complexity/strategy of this game....it will become a ton of trial and error.

- Overall the game just feels very dated (as someone mentioned before, blurriness)...as mentioned above, I am not a graphic fanatic, but for some reason it really stands out in this game.  Looking at the campaign map, its hard to make things out (at least for me) and the overall sizing of things makes it tough too.  I may be missing some options, but hard to get an overall situational awareness and make out what the various graphics represent.  The game appears to use very old graphics API so guessing that has a lot do do with it.

- Font is too small, even on a 39inch monitor.  Plus, I believe the font type used even makes it harder to see.

- Buttons/options too small....for example on the battle map, the speed control buttons are very small.

- Sometimes when I hit the pause button, it takes a number of seconds before the game will truly pause.

- Need more zoom options on the battle map, doesn't allow you to get close enough.

- Unless I am missing it, can't easily tell which troops are Calvary, foot soldiers, artillery, visually on the map.  The units are so small and you can't zoom closer to get a better look.

- When you ALT-TAB out of the game and come back in, graphics really get messed up.

- On the battle map, even the fastest speed option seems a little slow, especially when you have a far ways to go to meet the enemy

- Unless I am missing it, on the campaign map does not appear to be a way to zoom out...so a lot of scrolling to find stuff

Again, these are just some early thoughts, but I do wish the developer good luck and will certainly continue to monitor and try and figure stuff out.

Asid

Updates since release on Steam

Hotfix 1.081  issued 30 October
- sets screen resolution to a minimum of 1920x1080 (game does not support higher)
- fixed crash when divisions surrender after manual battle

Update to version 1.082  issued 31 October
- balanced battle duration (high fps led to too early battle end)
- fixed problem that researched weapons were not saved and lost when reloading game
- removed date for highscore historic battles to expand the players name
- increased font size slightly
- fixed overlapping mouseinformation text over buildings in city menu
- tooltip menu is automatically activated now when starting a new campaign

Update to version 1.083  issued 1 November
- implemented technology trees -> if you click on a not researched technology icon you can see the whole tech tree leading to this technology
- reduced sensitivity of setting waypoints on regimental level in battle (you may now turn the regiments easier by holding rmc on the regiment and moving mouse around)
- balancing: increased priority of delivering production material to building sites
- technologies for the basic buildings (like small mine) are now set to researched from the beginning
- diagonal scroll in campaign mode implemented (just move mouse in one of the corners)
- game may now be run in windowed mode (to be activated/deactivated in options menu)
- drag and drop regiments over brigades is now highlighted correctly
- removed overlapping text of building information in city menu while hierarchy menu is open
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Gusington

Welcome, keppelmueller. Thanks for stopping by.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd