'The Jacobites' Rebelion skirmish Turn-based Hex&chit PC windows

Started by gameleaper, December 21, 2015, 01:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

I played v15 to the bitter end. I lost all of my units but the game never stopped.   :o
It was fun but the interface needs a lot of work. Too much clicking to do things right now.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on December 22, 2015, 03:47:35 PM
I played v15 to the bitter end. I lost all of my units but the game never stopped.   :o
It was fun but the interface needs a lot of work. Too much clicking to do things right now.

thankyou for trying it bb, I just changed the shaken mechanic, now less shaken, so it may be a diff game now to 15. thanks so much bb your comments help a lot. I know how to play it so the interface is easy to me, 1) select hex 2)select units in hex 3) right click destination hex 4) press command button MOVE RALLY FIGHT SHOOT making sure what phase your in. I find the UI is nessasay for a phased game with chit control in stacks ,and if you think of ASL it too has hard mechanisms . but bb your a typical user so I hope to improve it to suit someone like you.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

gameleaper

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 22, 2015, 04:30:09 PM
I've downloaded and will give it a try in a few days

thx bay, its great your taking the time to look at it, I hope you like what you see

gameleaper

I know its a pain keep updateing but I thought Id finished then I think of something else, I'm  sure now this is final

Ive improved the random setups scots at the bottom brits at the top rather than all mixed up

Ive fixed some errors in the buttons allowing to repeat fights in the same hex, now only one fight per hex is possible.

Ive removed the shaken from empty hex slots

Mac version aswell as windows done

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on December 21, 2015, 09:44:22 AM
4) When I shoot at a unit it is hard to tell if I actually shot or what the damage was.

I should of mentioned in the help files, if you cant attack or more you just wont, if you attack you will always see a battle message appear, thx bb I will add this text help in the game

gameleaper

I cant tell you bbmike how much you helped, as you said you could not tell what effects of attacks were, I have now added messages when an attack or move is not valid, so you can see that your doing something wrong, I did not notice this until you said it thx so much bb

bay please redownload this version, its a vast improvement

gameleaper

I corrected the display of number of attack on the computers turn, it worked but just shown wrong number

This is the basic principal for game control

1) leftclick Hex to select the hex with chit you want to do something with
2) select each chit(bottom left) you want to do something with
3) RIGHT-CLICK the target for movent or attacks
4) If Moving skip this step if attacking then you select each chit (bottom right) as a target of your attack
5) press the command button to Move or shoot or fight - BUT YOU MUST BE IN THE CORRECT COMMAND PHASE.

the phases go from no phase thats the begining of your turn(you will see unit totals), then you click NEXT to progress through the phases, when you reach fight phase you do all fights then press END for the computers turn.

The Most interesting thing in this game is you can select any chit of yours and choose any target chit in a stack , you can do this for each chit or stacks at once,you can attack seperate hex targets from a single stack.

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on December 22, 2015, 03:47:35 PM

Ive reduced clicking, by auto selecting attackers your side and targets enemy, you can still change the auto selection, and Ive auto fifght select so you only need one click to fight per hex. thanks bb as always you know best

gameleaper

bug found and fixed

bbmike

Yikes! I'm falling behind, the patches are coming on fast. I'll need to try another game.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

edited

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on December 24, 2015, 06:12:10 PM
Yikes! I'm falling behind, the patches are coming on fast. I'll need to try another game.  :D

Merry Christmas bb, that's it 26 is 24, no more work on it for now(I sweted over v25 only to be hit with a bug), thx for your input bb. I think I'm going to rest-up and buy a game that someone else did all the work :) Ive got my eye on pike & shot for xmass day .

bbmike

Thanks, gameleaper! Take some time off and enjoy the holidays.  :)
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on December 24, 2015, 07:09:37 PM
Thanks, gameleaper! Take some time off and enjoy the holidays.  :)

I tried to rest but the bug needed just one more try, and I fixed it hurrah, here is the final bug free xmas special version