CMBS Con V UCG The Rematch

Started by undercovergeek, December 21, 2015, 01:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Ok - theres good news and theres bad news.

The good news, Con has sussed out dropbox and worked out how to send turns again. He sent me the setup in June but my battle with JD was also running and neither of us had upgraded to the new patch whereas Con had so i couldnt play him - JD recently surrendered, im upgraded and were good to go - thats about it for the good news

The bad news - id forgotten all about my previous battle with Con. I say forgotten, i know he won, i know it was aided by the appearance of 500 T90s on my flank as i exited a forest, and Cons ability to fire rockets over hills and down the other side - im not bitter. What i had forgotten was my use of air power and javelins. Now i have to face that airpower and doom from the sky as we switch sides and with that battle amnesia comes my poor force choice - i havent brought ANY anti-air assets, and to go hand in hand with that laughable error i havent brought any of my own either!

What i have brought is an armada of vehicles, i can only hope i have more vehicles than he has javelins. The force choice was limited to motorised so im not facing any Abrams thank god, what i have brought is the BMP3 - the best Russian non-tank vehicle - loads of them, so heres hoping

Still in the bad news section - the map. Of the four VP locations only one is out of sight of the heinous Americans, hidden in a valley its the one we will head for first. The others all seem to be vast expanses of open field on the top of hills that Con has LOS to from the many high points he has on his side of the map. So were going to have to be sneaky, and stealthy and hope we can get enough infantry to the front to tie up his troops and then roll the vehicles forward

The map

The forces then are split up into 2 companies, 2nd Company will head further right than the 1st and will try and roll up to the house on the hill at Obj 2. The 1st company will assist and then split left on the crest of the hill , stay in the trees and head for Obj 1. I have 3 on map mobile mortars and 1 off map mortar - all 82mm - pea shooters i know - their only task is to flatten the house at Obj 2 as i believe it will be full of US arty spotters and javelin launchers

Turns gone, its on!!

JasonPratt

I vaguely recall the last battle being a functional draw, as in both sides would have been declared unfit for combat afterward and the original plan of one side to scout for a convoy rolling through had completely fallen apart.

I mean, technically UCG won on points, but man: the total shattering.

I also recall it being a pure blast to read.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

im looking forward to the match very much - the last one was great, i learnt old lessons about myself that also need applying to KyzBPs WITP game and thats patience, just....... wait, and dont rush

undercovergeek

A more condensed vision of the path to glory

And some moody shots before the s*** hits the fan

KyzBP

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 21, 2015, 04:59:38 PM
im looking forward to the match very much - the last one was great, i learnt old lessons about myself that also need applying to KyzBPs WITP game and thats patience, just....... wait, and dont rush

I don't know, rushing seems to be working for you just fine.  :tickedoff:

undercovergeek

Quote from: KyzBP on January 06, 2016, 05:58:21 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on December 21, 2015, 04:59:38 PM

I don't know, rushing seems to be working for you just fine.  :tickedoff:

lol, thats carefully considered mismanagement!

undercovergeek

Ok, a few very quiet turns in, the 2 houses overseeing the right flank have been turned to shells (i hope) - ive seen one machine gunner who took a HE round to the face and thats it for bad guys, im very aware now of the open middle ground and the mass ranks of javelineers that must be overseeing all the empty spaces, once my vehicles have performed their task im pulling them back into forest and cover - its a tense time

A scout team have a peep at objective 1 - no sign of life so far, so the rest of the squad are coming up

We continue to vandalise Ukranian architecture - the house in the distance is right at the start of Cons set up area, i cant believe he hasnt got at least 1 or 2 units looking out of the windows down my right flank so well smash it to bits

On the extreme right flank, just under the first house we blasted, a BMP3 and a sniper team will climb this hill and see if we can see across the valley and beyond the other house we're smashing

The battlefield

JasonPratt

Those are some nightmarishly dark-purple snaps... {shudder}
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!