World War 2 Flight games

Started by acctingman, January 26, 2016, 11:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

IL2 1946 with the Ultrapack mod is the way to go for WW2 flight simming.  And yes, there are torpedoes. 

Ultrapack is very time consuming and touchy to install, but once it's going, it's essentially everything WW2 that you want to do. 

I absolutely loved the Condor Legion campaign in Ultrapack that included doing things like flying over the Nuremberg Rally.  There's really nothing like that out there anywhere.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

acctingman

Where does one find mods for IL-2 1946?

WallysWorld

Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 26, 2016, 10:18:49 PM
IL2 1946 with the Ultrapack mod is the way to go for WW2 flight simming.  And yes, there are torpedoes. 

Ultrapack is very time consuming and touchy to install, but once it's going, it's essentially everything WW2 that you want to do. 

Is Ultrapack compatible with version 4.12.2 let along the new 4.13?

I read on the Steam forum for IL2 that Ultrapack is supposedly not compatible with version 4.12: https://steamcommunity.com/app/15320/discussions/0/613940109839425665/#c617319460875647782

I'm using HSFX 7 myself.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 26, 2016, 09:14:02 PM
As a quick add on to the OP's question- what WW2 flight sims model torpedo planes? All I can think of is the 'Aces' series by Dynamic and 'Pacific Strike' from Origin. I've always suspected that the Star Wars Trench Run/exhaust port sequence was inspired by Torpedo 8's sacrificial run against the Japanese carriers at midway.

War Thunder has torpedoes.  They're kinda lame though.

As for the trench run in Star Wars, Lucas admitted it was heavily influenced by the movie 633 Squadron.  In that movie, a squadron of Mosquitos attack a V2 rocket fuel factory hidden in a Norwegian fjord.  Here's a mash up video using the dialogue and soundtrack from Star Wars with footage from 633 Squadron.

Grim.Reaper

Toonces

acttingman,
Modding IL-2 1946 is not necessarily easy.  And, there are a LOT of mods that aren't compatible with one another.  Many pros keep multiple installations of IL-2 1946 on their computer for that reason.

I spent the better part of 3 days recently installing a mod for IL-2 1946 called the Community Update Project, or C.U.P.  The path to this is long, requires many big downloads from mediafire, which makes it a huge pain, and then careful installation to ensure you don't pork something up.

To do it, you'll want to buy IL-2 1946 from GOG.com.  Install it, then install the patch that rolls the game back to version 4.10; the updated 4.13 that GOG installs does not work, but they allow you to install a roll-back patch to 4.10.

From there, go to:  http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=44975.0

And the step by step instructions to download and install are here:  http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,47647.0.html

You'll need to start right at the top with the 4.12m patch and work your way down from there.  This is just one mod, there are others like HSFX and Dark Blue World and others. 

BUT, before you start down this hole, try vanilla IL-2 1946 with the 4.13 patch from GOG.  There is an awful lot of content there out of the box that you will enjoy before you get the urge to mod.

I also like Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory.  However, it only covers the Battle of Britain, and it's a bit more difficult to get into than 1946.

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover is much, much better looking, but lacks the dynamic campaigns of 1946 and BOBII, and requires modding to even play correctly.

Honestly, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to start with 1946, considered the classic of the genre.  Spend the $6, play it for a bit, and then if it doesn't scratch your itch you can branch out. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

acctingman

Bought it off Steam

I saw the CUP Mod. Yea, for $10 I'm not going to hassle with that mod. Too much work and imo, not worth it for a casual game for me.

Is there another mod that isn't too hard or problematic to download that adds planes and maybe some graphical enhancements?

Thanks

MengJiao

Quote from: acctingman on January 26, 2016, 11:05:07 AM
Is IL-2 still considered the best WW2 flight sim game out there?

What other ww2 flight sims are out there that have boat loads of planes to choose from?

I guess if you haven't played IL-2, it is something of a must-see.  The Citizen Kane of WWII airplanes.  I was going to suggest not getting it, but I realized that was because I've played it and modded the hell out of it way too much.  Yes, my Il-2 days are over.

On the other hand, Cliffs of Dover is phenomenal, cheap and not all that hard to mod.  There's only one set of mods worth getting...but I may be getting over my Cliffs of Dover thing too.

So that leaves Battle of Stalingrad, with Battle of Moscow to come.  BoS and BoM are quite astounding visually and where else will you see most of the aircraft depicted/simulated anywhere near as well?  Anyway, better play Il-2.  These others will just spoil that experience.

Father Ted

Quote from: acctingman on January 27, 2016, 09:25:30 AM
Bought it off Steam

Is there another mod that isn't too hard or problematic to download that adds planes and maybe some graphical enhancements?

Thanks

As others have said, there is plenty to be going on with in the Stock game, but if you must mod, then HSFX will go "over" the 4.12.1 version that is on Steam, and is probably easiest to install.  This page http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,191.0.html should point you in the right direction.  If you do mod, then save a back-up vanilla version beforehand (just copy and paste the install).

magnus

I'm confused about the $10 for the CUP mod.

I've downloaded all of parts at least twice and the full  Monty before it and never paid a dime.

If you read the directions for the CUP mod it isn't difficult to do at all and you have a large group of helpful people at SAS if you get stuck.

With CUP installed you can fly from 1910 right up until the 1990s. Some of the cockpits now rival DCS ones.

The stock game is too bland for me in the visuals anymore. I don't think I'd be able to fly it.

acctingman

$10 was for the base game on Steam  :)

SirAndrewD

Quote from: WallysWorld on January 26, 2016, 11:15:00 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 26, 2016, 10:18:49 PM

Is Ultrapack compatible with version 4.12.2 let along the new 4.13?

I read on the Steam forum for IL2 that Ultrapack is supposedly not compatible with version 4.12: https://steamcommunity.com/app/15320/discussions/0/613940109839425665/#c617319460875647782

I'm using HSFX 7 myself.

I don't think it's compatable with the latest patches, no.  It's been a while since I played it, but I was using Ultrapack 3 and DBW on an older install. 

Finding the right and most current mods for IL2 1946 is a job in and of itself.  Worth it when you get it running, but yeah, a hassle.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback