Indulge my silly goofy question

Started by acctingman, January 28, 2016, 12:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Let's say you wanted to play ww2 from start to finish. From the blitzkrieg to the final push in the Pacific. Yes, this would take a long, long time to accomplish, but please, play along with my geekdom  :D

Which game or series of games would you use for this endeavor?

SPWaW?
JT Panzer Battles?
JTCS?

Any other games come to mind?

I prefer turn based and I DESPISE RTS. Smaller units over larger units.

Thanks for indulging my silly inquiry!  :uglystupid2:

Game on!!

undercovergeek

Combat mission to cover the ETO

Witp ae for the Pacific

acctingman

Thanks undercover

CM is out for me. Too complicated (tried the demo and was lost even after a couple hours)

I have a naval game already.

Looking for land warfare only!

undercovergeek

I forget the name but battlefront did a panzer general style game that included the Pacific and Africa

Rayfer

Strategic Command: Global Conflict covers the entire war, all theaters, start to finish. But it isn't small units. Also check out Supreme Ruler 1936.  I'm not sure what you are asking for even exists. I could be wrong. I await other replies.

acctingman

Quote from: Rayfer on January 28, 2016, 12:22:06 PM
Strategic Command: Global Conflict covers the entire war, all theaters, start to finish. But it isn't small units. Also check out Supreme Ruler 1936.  I'm not sure what you are asking for even exists. I could be wrong. I await other replies.

SPWaW and the JTCS has all nations OOB's and with both games you can, as far as I know (i've not played either) create your own battles/scenarios. You have access to every nations units from 39-45

I do prefer the more 3D look over top down or the nato counter style hence my choices I've listed, but again, I'm not a "pro" when it comes to war gaming knowledge.

Jarhead0331

It sounds to me that the OP is not necessarily requesting that this feat be accomplished all in one title.

You're going to be hard pressed to find anything of operational or strategic value that isn't somewhat "complicated". I mean really, if CM is too complicated for you, you might want to explore a different niche. You just need to watch a Let's Play, or maybe read an AAR or two and you should be able to hit the ground running.

Really though, the games that cover the full breadth and scope of the war, ie. WitP, WitW, WitE, Supreme Ruler 1936, HOI, etc. are going to require some effort to learn and play. Everything else that is sort of just pick-up and play is going to be beer and pretzels, or on the tactical level, and I believe you've also stated you aren't interested in games like Panzer General.

I would second Rayfer's suggetion though...the SC series may be your best bet. It ain't pretty though!  :uglystupid2:

Good luck.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

Steel Panthers World War II is free version of the original Steel Panthers game and covers the entire war ETO and PTO but not in one campaign. There are hundreds of scenarios and some campaigns that cover parts of the war, just not the entire war in one campaign. If that's what you're looking for. It's VERY dated though and VERY turn-based. And slow as hell sometimes but with a good AI and it is small unit-ish--- squad sized. I still got it on my hard drive but rarely play anymore. But you can't find a more detailed unit roster anywhere.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

acctingman

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 28, 2016, 12:52:02 PM
Steel Panthers World War II is free version of the original Steel Panthers game and covers the entire war ETO and PTO but not in one campaign. There are hundreds of scenarios and some campaigns that cover parts of the war, just not the entire war in one campaign. If that's what you're looking for. It's VERY dated though and VERY turn-based. And slow as hell sometimes but with a good AI and it is small unit-ish--- squad sized. I still got it on my hard drive but rarely play anymore. But you can't find a more detailed unit roster anywhere.

That's what's killing me. I don't like top down graphics, but I know SPWaW enhanced ed (better graphics and as much as I dislike top down, I at least want them to look purdy :) has everything all in one game and at a unit level I like.

Panzer Battles has the 3D look (most of them do) but the 3 titles only cover Eastern war 43-45 and Western war from 44-45.

JTCS is like SPWaW in that it also has every nations OOB and can be played in smaller battles. Graphics are dated but I do like the 3D look.

I just don't have much experience in any of these titles and I wonder which would offer the better outcome for me.

Guess I just need to un-clench and take a plunge  :uglystupid2:

JasonPratt

Tiller's Campaign Series for the small scale action. Covers the whole time period and all theaters.

HOI2: Darkest Hour for the large scale action. (Or possibly HOI3 with the latest Black Ice mod.) If you add the current edition of the Grand Campaign mod (formerly called "AAR"), you can start the action a few days before WW1 and go through to the 1990s (and 2010 tech).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bison

Just get Tillers Squad Battles and call it a day.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

acctingman

Quote from: Bison on January 28, 2016, 02:26:13 PM

I would Bison but the issue I have is only 3 of the 5 titles have 3D unit capability and I'd have to spend $130ish for the three titles.

But, I do see your logic, thanks

Nefaro

Quote from: acctingman on January 28, 2016, 03:05:44 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 28, 2016, 02:26:13 PM

I would Bison but the issue I have is only 3 of the 5 titles have 3D unit capability and I'd have to spend $130ish for the three titles.

But, I do see your logic, thanks

The psuedo-3D display in the Squad Battles series sucks.

While I prefer to use it in the Campaign Series over the 2D counters, I can't do it in SB.  It just looks terrible.  Worst fake 3D of all the Tiller games.  The dimensions also seem to be off in that mode.

JasonPratt

Quote from: MetalDog on January 28, 2016, 03:01:59 PM
HOI is a RTS.

It's generally a slow RTS with pausable play, so I think of it more as a WEGO game. Still, you're right, I should have qualified that.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!