Indulge my silly goofy question

Started by acctingman, January 28, 2016, 12:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Agreed. Nothing like CM. So many great CM stories to tell of heroic pixeltruppen and last turn firefights for a victory. But she can be a mean bitch when she's on the rag. No other game leaves me wondering where the hell that shot came from.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jomni

acctingman

Are you all talking about the early titles of Combat Mission or the newer versions?

Thanks

undercovergeek

Quote from: acctingman on January 29, 2016, 12:46:43 AM
Are you all talking about the early titles of Combat Mission or the newer versions?

Thanks

Newer gives you France, Italy, Russia and shortly bulge

acctingman

Tried JT Squad Battles:Red Victory last night and I just could not get into it. I wasn't glued to my PC when I was playing it. It looks like crap, didn't like the interface/controls and it just didn't "feel" right to me. JTSC is going to be out too since they are similar.

So, I've come to realize my plan (finding a fun game that doesn't take a mathematics degree to play and still somewhat accurate depicting all theaters of war for WW2) is a pipe dream.

SPWaW is too dated for me and boring and Battle Academy series is too cartoonish and swings to the other end of the complexity swing (too simple).

Time to either dive into Combat Mission 2 games or go the board game route.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.

GJK

Personally, I much prefer the older CM titles (CMx1) as I think that they play much easier than the newer series and I feel more connected to the units on the map.  But that very well may be because I was so involved with CMx1 when it first came out until it was dropped like a Kardashian when CMx2 came out. I get that graphics/appearance is very high on your list of preferences but you might want to give them a try....and there are gobs of mods that does make it look much better than the stock graphics:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=0&Itemid=318

And I was half-joking half-not about ASL.  Check out the Starter Kits for ASL and if you think that would appeal to you, there is a very active (and encouraging and helpful) community out there that can teach you how to play (yes, on the computer).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

gameleaper

Quote from: GJK on January 29, 2016, 09:49:35 AM
Personally, I much prefer the older CM titles (CMx1) as I think that they play much easier than the newer series and I feel more connected to the units on the map.  But that very well may be because I was so involved with CMx1 when it first came out until it was dropped like a Kardashian when CMx2 came out. I get that graphics/appearance is very high on your list of preferences but you might want to give them a try....and there are gobs of mods that does make it look much better than the stock graphics:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=0&Itemid=318

And I was half-joking half-not about ASL.  Check out the Starter Kits for ASL and if you think that would appeal to you, there is a very active (and encouraging and helpful) community out there that can teach you how to play (yes, on the computer).

ASL is in my list of things a gamer should do, its a hobby in itself, all other boardgames are nowhere near it. I have a high when I setup the board,

acctingman

Never tried ASL. I do, however, really like Conflict of Heroes.

Granted there are only a few games out.

gameleaper

Quote from: acctingman on January 29, 2016, 10:16:23 AM
Never tried ASL. I do, however, really like Conflict of Heroes.

Granted there are only a few games out.

its a must do , ASL is simply miles ahead of anything , its a hard game to learn, but once learned ... 

Crossroads

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 28, 2016, 05:34:37 PM
Quote from: jomni on January 28, 2016, 05:31:51 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 28, 2016, 12:03:32 PM
Combat mission to cover the ETO

Witp ae for the Pacific

The guy is looking for tactical scale.

JTCS is the cheapest. All in one package.  Since he ruled out the free SPWW2 (Steel Panthers).

He wants to game the ENTIRE war in tactical scale? OK, that will take awhile.

We actually had a PBEM tournament at Blitz Wargaming Club where we played all H2H scenarios, from Spanish Civil War until the bitter end, all fronts, from Spain to Africa to Eastern Steppes to Pacific  :D

It started on October 2010 and ended on December 2014.

Was fun of epic proportions  :knuppel2: :smitten:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

^^ That thread accumulated 425K views. Not bad for such a groggy PBEM tournament   ;D
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

acctingman

Quote from: Crossroads on January 29, 2016, 10:27:01 AM

Witp ae for the Pacific

JTCS is the cheapest. All in one package.  Since he ruled out the free SPWW2 (Steel Panthers).

We actually had a PBEM tournament at Blitz Wargaming Club where we played all H2H scenarios, from Spanish Civil War until the bitter end, all fronts, from Spain to Africa to Eastern Steppes to Pacific  :D

WOW!!....epic!

I think my dream is dead.

I want a "pretty" game more than anything. Which tells me I'm doing this for the wrong reasons. Gaming, especially war gaming, shouldn't be for something that is mainly eye candy. I know graphics can have importance, but I want something that is aesthetically pleasing, some what simple and encompasses the entire war.

People are right. It doesn't exist.

gameleaper

Quote from: acctingman on January 29, 2016, 10:42:38 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on January 29, 2016, 10:27:01 AM

Witp ae for the Pacific

WOW!!....epic!

I think my dream is dead.

I want a "pretty" game more than anything. Which tells me I'm doing this for the wrong reasons. Gaming, especially war gaming, shouldn't be for something that is mainly eye candy. I know graphics can have importance, but I want something that is aesthetically pleasing, some what simple and encompasses the entire war.

People are right. It doesn't exist.

World in flames may be of interest, but only solitaire no A.I. but it has enforced rules, I have it but I'm waiting for A.I. but its a vast ww2 game from matrix

Philippe

There's always this:

But it's not on a tactical scale.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

acctingman

Yea, but I do prefer tactical over operational, hence the pipe dream comment  :o